Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how the Tigers fans will view their clash strip now? Fond memories. Might sell out on Monday.

did you see how some of hte players guernseys turned green on the back ? don't know if it was from being tackled on the grass OR the stuff they rub on themselves that try to aid in being evasive in tackles!

I learnt that the captain of the Adelaide football club is a very poor loser and his speech was a disgrace to all supporters of the Adelaide football club...

The coaches reaction while the speech was going on was enough to confirm his disgust as well!

What happened?... I didn't watch the post game.

Loved - a Richmond premiership, finally, and seeing Richo cry tears of joy

Didn't like - Eddie Betts deserved a free kick in the second quarter or somewhere in there, and the Norm Smith should have gone to Houli

Didn't mind - Tex's speech. Don't know what people are complaining about?

Liked - Tigers getting up, well done to the club and all the fans
Learnt - Dusty Martin is even better than I thought, if thats even possible...
Hated - Adelaide turning to water and only kicking 8 goals, shame it was a bit of a blow out, would have preferred a close one.

Liked: the two teams I wanted in the GF in the GF (if mine couldn't be there)
Richmond's game. Deserving premiers.
Richmond's response to Adelaide's staredown during the anthem: amusement. Don't get me wrong, I liked Adelaide's staredown, but I also like seeing it thwarted.

Learnt: even excellent teams like Adelaide can stink it up on the big stage. A good reminder to all that you just need to get to the eight and bring your best game 3-4 times in a row.

Hated: no fight from Adelaide from halfway through the 2nd quarter, leading to another blow out. Was going to be happy no matter who won, but damn I wanted a real 4-quarter contest.
Quibbling about umpiring, venue, Normie, or anything else that downplays Richmond's achievement today, or about Tex's speech. They won it fair and square. Dusty is the NS medalist. Tex was shattered. Move on and appreciate the day.

Loved - a Richmond premiership, finally, and seeing Richo cry tears of joy

Didn't like - Eddie Betts deserved a free kick in the second quarter or somewhere in there, and the Norm Smith should have gone to Houli

Didn't mind - Tex's speech. Don't know what people are complaining about?

There’s nothing inherently wrong with the speech, it’s more what he didn’t do than what he did. There was room to give some praise and make a genuine attempt to rap the winners. He didn’t take it. Doesn’t make him a bad bloke or a sook or anything, just means he missed an opportunity to enhance his standing.

Liked : That I know my footy and predicted richmonds leaders would stand up Better than ours.

Learnt: Im great and know way more than elite crow, 1970crow and sanders combined.

Hated: We lost. And the umpiring in the first half. Richmond were the better team and deserved the win, no question.. but that umpiring was out of control in the first half.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with the speech, it’s more what he didn’t do than what he did. There was room to give some praise and make a genuine attempt to rap the winners. He didn’t take it. Doesn’t make him a bad bloke or a sook or anything, just means he missed an opportunity to enhance his standing.

I actually mentioned in another thread that he was asked after the game "does the fire still burn for next year" and I would have thought the answer to that would be "obviously, more than ever", but instead he said "you don't have a choice".

Not great choice of words.

As others pointed out probably just flat but still. I would rather a flat "absolutely" with no passion behind it than a "you don't have a choice" .

Regardless I doubt either of those things will be keeping him up tonight. More so the footy we played today.

What? Maybe have another one and drive home champ..

Richmond were by far the best team today, that's no contest. But they weren't the best side this year and the rest of your statement is jibberish
We finished behind the Crows in the h&a season by 2 points, reverse one of our close losses this year and we finish top spot, reverse all of our close losses this year and we sit outright top of the ladder at the end of the h&a season.

We finished behind the Crows in the h&a season by 2 points, reverse one of our close losses this year and we finish top spot, reverse all of our close losses this year and we sit outright top of the ladder at the end of the h&a season.

Dude.. forget it. We beat Geelong, Gws and Adelaide. All of them, in finals, convincingly. We shitted it in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked : That I know my footy and predicted richmonds leaders would stand up Better than ours.

Learnt: Im great and know way more than elite crow, 1970crow and sanders combined.

Hated: We lost. And the umpiring in the first half. Richmond were the better team and deserved the win, no question.. but that umpiring was out of control in the first half.
What a sook. Umpiring huh?

Yeah and I do agree with you to an extent. It's black and white that the team that wins the flag can claim to be best in the comp because that's the objective of the comp.

But it's also pretty clear that the best team across the season doesn't always peak on the last Saturday in September.

And that's the difference. Much like the Bulldogs in 2016, Richmond were the best team in September, albeit not the best team across the year.

If your season DOESN'T have you peaking on the last Saturday in September, you're doing it wrong (or more probably, it just hasn't worked out right).

It's like a marathon. There's always a leading group - a few guys who stick up near the front, go through good and bad patches, trying to be with the leaders at crunch time, and in good enough condition to take advantage of being there. Plenty drop off because they can't keep up. Some have bad starts and recover - some fly away early and get reeled in.

No one counts exactly how many Ks one guy was running half-a-metre in front of the others throughout the race. No one says he's the best if he doesn't win.

It's OK - I'm not grumpy :)D:D:D:D:D:D). I've had this discussion many times over the years with many folk - it's just a philosophical difference of opinion.

Same can be said for the Crows though.

You ok? Been a big day?

I originally said Dusty played very well but wasn't best on ground. Literally every player ratings system backs that up comprehensively. Human error by the judges, sucked in to the hype.
Watch footy do you?
Any time Dusty went near the footy Adelaide players went to him like moths to a flame.
If Dusty got it, which he often did, he released players who were in the clear, why were they in the clear? because all the Adelaide players were trying to stop Dusty.

I learnt you only need one key forward to win a flag.

I also learnt that basing players and clubs reputations off a sample size of 3 is a bit silly. Claiming Richmond or Trent Cotchin couldn't stand up in finals because of 3 poor games (or 2 in Trent's case) is just stupid.

Like that the Tiges kept their faith in Hardwick. Well deserved flag considering some of the s**t he has copped during his tenure.

Learnt that we don't need to spend a million dollars on international acts for pre-game entertainment. The best thing The Killers did was Forgotten Years. Oils for 2018 at a tenth of the cost.

Hate that the usual tosspots are already finding pissweak excuses to attach yet another asterisk to a premiership win. Get used to it Tigers, you've got twelve months of it coming your way.

Liked:
- Being able to attend a grand final and witness a win.
- Before and after game entertainment. The Killers had a great time and was absolutely amazing.
- Watching the emotions of Tiger and Crow supporters. People were elated, people moved to tears, people were stunned. It was such a joy being amongst a group of people who love their club.
- Adelaide supporters. Leaving the game, some of them congratulated Tiger supporters. I genuinely think they are one of the best football club supporter groups around.

Learnt:
- A sudden rise is possible. I did not expect the Tigers to win a GF at all at the beginning of the year. Heck. I even thought Dimma would be first to be sacked mid season. If the Tigers can rise up quickly, all other clubs can.
- Everything that Neil Balme has touched has turned to goal. Listening on SEN he has probably downplayed his role at the football club but he is awesome.

Disliked:
- The queue to use the Men's toilet.
- Some of the Tigers supporters ungracious taunting of downcasted Crows supporters
- Price of beer

I learnt you only need one key forward to win a flag.

I also learnt that basing players and clubs reputations off a sample size of 3 is a bit silly. Claiming Richmond or Trent Cotchin couldn't stand up in finals because of 3 poor games (or 2 in Trent's case) is just stupid.

Yeah footy has been getting much less positional. Key forwards are still important, but not as essential as in days gone by.

Liked: Richmond winning. I've said this around here a bit: 2013 - 2016 Richmond played a pissweak brand of footy and it showed in finals. 2017 the admiration for them started to grow and I really loved watching their hard nosed pressure game. It felt like something had also changed off field as well.
Extremely deserving of the premiership and going to be watching them be obnoxious campaigners all over BF is extremely well deserved considering the s**t they've copped.

Hated: Flack for Taylor Walker's speech. Dude isn't a poet. Dude can barely string a coherent sentence together. He's basically made for the SA Triple M Breakfast team. He was hurting though and going up there would have been a struggle.

Crows fans saying Crows 'let down' Phil Walsh. Go and get ****ed. I've only seen it 6 or so times but seriously scummy thing to say and its such an emotionally manipulative statement. Don't use a ******* incredibly dark tragedy that ruined his family as a tool for a game of footy.

Learnt: Small forward line can work!

Liked: it was Adelaide and Richmond in the GF, either side was gonna make history today. It seemed a genuine 50/50 though I slightly tipped the Crows. Fantastic atmosphere.
Learnt: Crows soft underbelly, crapped themselves on the big stage, no back up game plan, just bombing it in, it's been said before. Richmond are the real deal, but I felt that from midway through the season. Still odd that Adelaide flogged em in round 6. Dusty is superhuman...
Hated: as a spectacle/entertainment it was pretty bad midway through the 3rd. Crow's insipid performance.

Don't get the flak for Tex's 'speech' either. What did people expect? A lot of folks are just so judgemental/critical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back