Bachar Houli on AFL game day

Was disappointed that he left Essendon but great to see him win a flag and I felt at HT that he was the front runner for the Norm Smith as he played such a big part in keeping Richmond in the match.

I'm not disappointed he left and still think that overall he's an average footballer that butchers it more often than not but he had a good game yesterday so good on him.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
It did get a little unusual when he went on that long speech about kissing his Mum's feet to show how much he loves her, and stuff like that. Then it got really awkward with Hamo's corny "Hey speaking about mothers, Richmond has a female President, what's up with that?!" attempt at a transition.

Houli is certainly a different cat in many ways. His beliefs clearly give him an interesting and unexpected outlook on things.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Copped a lot of s**t from the peanut gallery this year for external things outside of his control. No doubt he deserved his suspension but the whole beat up around it should not have been taken out on him.

He's had his critics for the way he plays his role which I can understand he's a bit hit and miss with his kicking and not overly known for his defensive accountability. But the meterage and rebound he provides them with is hugely important for the side and yesterday he was immense (along with the entire Richmond 22) for his selflessness and hardness at the contest. Was the sort of performance that could easily have passed for a Norm Smith, not that anyone would begrudge Martin's efforts.

Off the field seems an extremely articulate, strong minded and principled guy so no doubt destined for a career as a leader whether it be for the community, his religion or for an organisation or indeed a football club.
Bachar Houli is a class act and a seemingly great man. He played a sublime game yesterday and could very easily have won the Norm Smith medal.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not disappointed he left and still think that overall he's an average footballer that butchers it more often than not but he had a good game yesterday so good on him.
He's been pretty good this year. Tigers missed him when he was suspended. No surprise that they went up another level when he returned for them.

Great player

Was my tip for NS as well and very stiff not to get it as he was sensational yesterday off half back.

Played his junior footy at my local club and watching him in Under 18's kicking 50m on both feet was great and Bachar was always going places at the top level, also a very level headed bloke and genuine good guy off the field.

Congrats to him for yesterdays effort. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

He's been pretty good this year. Tigers missed him when he was suspended. No surprise that they went up another level when he returned for them.

Great player
Sorry but him being 'pretty good' this year doesn't make him a great player. He had a good game yesterday.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry but him being 'pretty good' this year doesn't make him a great player. He had a good game yesterday.
No one is saying that he in the top 10 players of the competition. He does however play an integral role for Richmond and executes it well. "Butchers it more often than not" doesn't really do his year any justice.

No one is saying that he in the top 10 players of the competition. He does however play an integral role for Richmond and executes it well. "Butchers it more often than not" doesn't really do his year any justice.
He's not a great player which is what you said. Overall he's average but had a good game yesterday so good on him.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Been top ten in the best & fairest every year except the last when he missed 10 games through injury. Was classed as 'elite' in his position by Champion Data at one stage. He gets undersold because he chose to leave his former club, much like Grigg. 170 & 190 games; they are solid AFL players in the range of 10th-15th picked that every team needs. And now premiership players.

Back