Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Harrison Wigg should have been given an opportunity. Unfortunately I think he will be delisted.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
we should have given him a run last year when ROB got a taste.

he was in the best form we've seen from him at SANFL level and it was basically time to put a fork in Thommo anyway.

may not have amounted to anything, but there was a hell of a lot more to gain than there was to lose.

IMO Harrison Wigg should have been given an opportunity. Unfortunately I think he will be delisted.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'll give you a tip if Wigg's delisted it won't be until after trade week I wouldn't expect, if we're not retaining him surely the club will try to parcel him up in a trade deal before delisting him?

I'll give you a tip if Wigg's delisted it won't be until after trade week I wouldn't expect, if we're not retaining him surely the club will try to parcel him up in a trade deal before delisting him?
In that scenario I think the player is almost always delisted. You are describing someone with zero trade value.

You would hope so. Word is that pyke said to him that he needs to play more consistent footy before he will be looked at for selection. I thought if they were going to sign him, we would have when we signed the rest of the juniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In that scenario I think the player is almost always delisted. You are describing someone with zero trade value.
Hang on he's what 20 year's old and is coming off a good year year in the SANFL that saw him make the SANFL team of the year, certainly enough credits to try and parcel him up in a trade, perhaps a team might actually like to play him across half back a position he excelled in and made the U18's AA side instead of trying to make him into a midfielder like us?

Hang on he's what 20 year's old and is coming off a good year year in the SANFL that saw him make the SANFL team of the year, certainly enough credits to try and parcel him up in a trade, perhaps a team might actually like to play him across half back a position he excelled in and made the U18's AA side instead of trying to make him into a midfielder like us?
Yeah that's fair, but it depends how close he is to delist material I reckon.

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee

HB: Seedsman, Hartigan, Laird

C: Galluci, Greenwood, Atkins

HF: Sloane, Lynch, Hampton

F: Walker, McGovern, Betts

1R: Jacobs, B Crouch, M Crouch

Int: Keath, Milera, Gibbs, one of Douglas/Kelly/Menzel/Poholke

- If we play a shorter, faster forward line Talia can be dropped unless back to full fitness (he was embarrassingly bad yesterday).
- Keath the fast, athletic swingman to relieve talls at either end but depending on the day potentially create a forward mismatch without sacrificing competitiveness and defensive ability so Jenkins/Otten don't roll out the red carpet for rebounding opposition.
- 2R could be any of Hartigan, Keath, Gov, Greenwood...who really cares as JJ has shown it doesn't matter how crap you are at it.
- Sloane in the Dusty Martin role
- Down to 2 forward line sloths
- Gibbs part of the on ball brigade but could play half back if the defence is stagnant
- Sorry for Kelly but the current balance is poor...he could stay in with a reshuffle but somehow Doedee must get games asap
- Hampton will be a dynamite forward/mid combo. Back him in for 20+ goals in this role.
- Milera and Atkins in with the warning that they will be dropped asap if they stay soft.
- McGovern must become our number 1 key forward...no 4th string role next year. Build up his confidence and channel the ball through him...he will start clunking some and split some packs. Will be our J Riewoldt.
- Tex the oversized slow but dangerous forward pocket...with stints upfield as required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Greenwood play off half back?
191cm athletic strong competitive good mark and defensive pressure?
We already have Kelly who is similar. Imo, we need a Smith replacement.

Greenwood needs to work on his aerobic capacity so he can be in the game more.

We already have Kelly who is similar. Imo, we need a Smith replacement.
Indeed we do, yesterday showed the gaping hole he left when replaced by a far more inferior player.

On our current list the best bet is Seedsman but it's hardly a convincing one. Fragile, inconsistent player who desperately needs an uninterrupted PS.

From left field, I do know of a player who I think could benefit from the structure provided in a defensive role and from the ball/teammates finding him more frequently. A player with the size, explosiveness, foot skills as well as the intensity at the contest at ground and aerial level. A player who needs to be reinvented. If Liam Jones can be identified as a flaky, inconsistent forward with the right raw attributes for defence then why can't Troy Menzel give it a crack?

Indeed we do, yesterday showed the gaping hole he left when replaced by a far more inferior player.

On our current list the best bet is Seedsman but it's hardly a convincing one. Fragile, inconsistent player who desperately needs an uninterrupted PS.

From left field, I do know of a player who I think could benefit from the structure provided in a defensive role and from the ball/teammates finding him more frequently. A player with the size, explosiveness, foot skills as well as the intensity at the contest at ground and aerial level. A player who needs to be reinvented. If Liam Jones can be identified as a flaky, inconsistent forward with the right raw attributes for defence then why can't Troy Menzel give it a crack?
We could do worse than try, particularly during the preseason games, where we should trial some different options.

I like the idea of having changeable options for the flanks/midfield. Hopefully Gallucci, Milera, Hampton & Menzel gives us some different options next year.

Best team for 2018:
Brown Hartigan Doedee
Laird Talia Keath
Sloane MCrouch Gibbs
Lynch Mcgovern Knight
Betts Walker Himmelberg

Jacobs/O'brien BCrouch Greenwood

Motlop Poholke/Gallucci Hampton Douglas

Out: Jenkins (Traded), Kelly (sanfl), Atkins (Traded) Lever (Traded) Smith (injured) Otten ( never to grace the field again) Cameron (Traded) Seedsman ( not good enough, trade out) Wigg (trade/delist) Menzel (trade)

Delist: Thompson (retired) Shaw (retired) Gore CEY Hunter Beech

Draft picks:
Pick 17 for finishing 2nd.
Pick 12 for Cameron
2 First round picks for Lever. Pick 10 and ?
2nd round for Atkins
Jenkins ( just get him out. Would pay half his salary but just get this guy out)
2nd round pick.
3rd round pick for Seedsman
3rd round pick for Menzel or Payout contract.

Targets:
Gibbs, J McGovern, Motlop,
2018: Rankine, got to get him.

Rory Sloane: If he doesnt commit in the offseason, he is going end of next year and would look for 2 first round picks now before he leaves. His wife sees a career in the media and will want to return to melb asap.

Last edited:

Have been suggesting this for a while, would love to see Menzel get an opportunity in a different role, it's a struggle to be involved consistently as a HF especially in our SANFL side, but he could really add a different dimension to the defense.

Looking at this thread I believe we have some good players to fall back on and improve us heading into 2018. We have managed to replace every player so far so we will definitely cover Lever and Cameron. I also confidently back our recruiting department to bring the right players in including Jackson Edwards as father son.

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still hoping we use some of this potential trade currency and bring in Gov from WA. Hows that for a replacement on Lever? Take that any day and might have some change leftover.

I wonder if we deal with Collingwood instead of dees and we can snag a deal of say?
Lever for Sidebottom and a first or very high second
And we can get Gibbs for a fair value
And trade cameron for a late first/early second??

Team looks like:

Brown Talia Doedee
Gibbs Harto Laird
Sidey Mrouch Atkins
Lynch Walker Hampton
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Jacobs Sloane Brouch
Knight Greenwood Gallucci 1st round pick

Yeah, definitely would be an amazing replacement but ask yourself this, can you really see him leaving West Coast?

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app
So Gov has 1 year left on his deal till he's able to leave in free agency. So WC may take the opportunity to get a little more out of us than free agency comp. We may end up with a few too many picks if that's all we get out of Lever/Cameron trades than list spots we want to fill.

We present a decent option for him to have a chance at a premiership and playing with his brother, WC are almost definitely going to slide next couple of years.

I wonder if we deal with Collingwood instead of dees and we can snag a deal of say?
Lever for Sidebottom and a first or very high second
And we can get Gibbs for a fair value
And trade cameron for a late first/early second??

Team looks like:

Brown Talia Doedee
Gibbs Harto Laird
Sidey Mrouch Atkins
Lynch Walker Hampton
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Jacobs Sloane Brouch
Knight Greenwood Gallucci 1st round pick
Some good suggestiins but jenkins and atkins are never going to help you win a flag. Both need to go. Gov is our future and would play him chf and walker closer to goals at full forward. Would rather himmelberg be given a spot over jenkins or go smaller in our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back