Game Day 2017 AFL Grand Final

Who will you be barracking for on Grand Final day?

• Adelaide

Votes: 77 68.8%
  • Punt Rd Ferals

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Won't be watching

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread guy's have been following it for a few days and was fun at times and really weird at stages and needed to restrain myself from commenting about some silly stuff but couldnt stop laughing about other stuff.

I was there for the 1980 gf and now after so many years finally enjoyed this flag win, My 2 daughters are 29 & 21 and have not really seen any success as well as my nephew who is 23 which have all been deemed tiger supporters from the day they were born and it was an amazing feeling watching them enjoy this win and hopefully you guys can also 1 day get there as well as we need strong traditional teams like Richmond,Carlton,Collingwood & Essendon even though we bag crap out of eachother im sure none of us would want the other to be not around.

Anyway i have had way too much to drink and will say goodnight and hope to see and banter with some of you in 2018 in round 1.

I cant think of a better team to Unfurl our flag against that Carlton , It will be fantastic watching my Carlton supporting mates watch with envy just before we belt you in Rnd 1 Again.

Cheers guys - Good luck in Trade/Draft

Hi Guys,
Just reading through here and felt like I needed give you a devout Tiger’s member perspective.

Bloody Awesome !!

All the way through the finals campaign it has been a ride to remember.

All culminating to that “One Day In September”

The sheer joy I am experiencing right now is something I will treasure forever.
Not just because we have won the Premiership.

But for what all of us die hard supporters have had dished out to us, pain, frustration, anxiety, disappointment etc

All erased within a simple 2 hours of footy.

Unity, hope and will is what is needed. I see this by reflecting on our journey this season.

Although within the season our two clubs are arch rivals. There have been a lot of Blues supporters getting behind the Tiges. For this I say thank you.

Stick fat guys.
Your time will come.
Maybe quicker than some think.

GO TIGES !!!!

(Thanks Blues)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and well deserved. :trophy:

Enjoy it guys.

Now back to hating you! :p

Everybody will have different opinions but what i see and my carlton supporting friends also agree is that you need a few things to do what richmond have done

* Very good defence Rance,Astbury,Grimes,Vlastuin with the runners in Ellis & Houli
*Carlton are Similar Wietering,Plowman.Marchbank,Docherty are a very very good start

*Foward setup Richmond have Riewoldt,Townsend,Caddy , Rioli,Butler,Castagna
*Carlton are getting there with structure McKay,Curnow,Silvagini,Fisher,Pickett,LeBois

*Midfield - Is where you guys will struggle whilst Richmond have 3 top tier mids In Cotchin,Prestia,Martin (some may not rate prestia in this group but he has been massive in the midfield) Its the next level of guys that have really improved

Carlton really need to just go flat out to improve their and its not all about 1st round draft picks but more solid citizen work horse type's that will improve your team and fast track the improvement

There are similarities i can see - Will be great when we get the old days rivalry back

Makes you wonder how many tall key forwards you should/need to play - Richmond's game style allows them to get away with one KPF and a bunch of small to mid size players. Brisbane had the Bradshaw/Brown combo. Carlton's mosquito fleet of the 79-82 was pretty special.

I have not listened or watched any review shows but having been to the last two grand finals live, what has struck with me, is not only the forward lines have been anything but tall and traditional, but neither teams had a genuine number 1 ruck. Dogs used forward/ruck Boyd in last years grand final and Tigers been getting away all season with similar type in Nankervis and even Grigg giving him a chop out.
So going too tall is almost been a risk lately.

When we won flags in 79 to 82 was virtually only Maclure as the tall rock up forward and the rest were talented smalls or mediums like McConville and Bosustow. It is always a gamble though. In 1999 it was the other extreme. North talls were just too many for us with Carey, McKernan, Longmire, Capuano and Mooney.
Lions in early 2000's with Lynch, Brown and Bradshaw were hard to stop for most teams too.

These cycles of smalls and talls happen. Personally I enjoy a side with more smalls than talls but has to be a balance. If you got a strength in one you got to play to it.

Disagree with going flat out to acquire workhorse types, strongly disagree actually.

Need another 1 or 2 A-graders next to Cripps and SPS first before I waste my time with second stringers.

Absolutely.
Pies stole a flag in 1990 with workhorse team, in the main.
05 & 06 flags were workhorse teams complimenting a few absolute guns. Last year and this a bit the same. Fremantle and Saints failed at it under Lyon. The common trait is that style at best, wins one flag and needs a lot of luck involved too like Tiggies no injuries or something like 1990 where the draw threw other sides out that the only one with momentum goes all the way. But the downside is, if it does not work you end up in horrible nowhere like Saints and Freo and played an unattractive style to watch with no reward.

Sides that win multiple flags is what you want to learn more from. But if you have the talented group but no game plan, a team buys into and sticks to like glue you win nothing. The common trait of all premiership teams, is, players as a rule, buy into and stick to a team ethos.

Watched the game yesterday with my dad at a feral richmond pub and it was good fun. Managed to grab a quick dinner on Swan street before everyone else caught on - place was empty when we saw down to eat, massive queues by the time we had eaten. During this time an epic queue had also formed outside the BWS across the road!

We left just before Swan Street really turned to s**t, but there were already signs of destruction (vandalised street signs) when we left. Pretty much would have to be shitfaced or 15 to be sticking around all night, I think.

Dad was rapt with the day though (duh) - he still doesn't quite believe it yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes you wonder how many tall key forwards you should/need to play - Richmond's game style allows them to get away with one KPF and a bunch of small to mid size players. Brisbane had the Bradshaw/Brown combo. Carlton's mosquito fleet of the 79-82 was pretty special.

Two at most. It's more about the pressure Richmond brought than the structure.

From The Killers Wiki page ................. GOLD!

rolling.gif

riewoldt-wiki-800.jpg

DLBtT-5UMAAFT4e.jpg:large

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killers

Thing about this win and the dogs win is it comes with a couple of points :
Dogs and tigers weren't the dominant team of the league all year (thank God more even season)

Because of this they aren't the architect type of team everyone should aim to mimic. I don't want to take anything away from them they did wonderful and had a great run of injuries and took their chance at a flag.

Not that is any Richmond fans fault it's going to do my head in hearing the media go on about them like they are a greatly built team like the multiple premiership teams of Hawks and cats.
If the tiges come out and do it again next year then it's time to talk about them in that light.

The Aussie sports media is very average

Rang a tigers mate today to congratulate him. He said it was a great day until he was at the Cricketers Arms around 7 where a Tassie couple who he was talking to, amiably enough, suddenly got agro for no reason and turned on him and a friend, wanting a fight. Managed his way out of it but decided it was time to go home after that. FERALS, ha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thing about this win and the dogs win is it comes with a couple of points :
Dogs and tigers weren't the dominant team of the league all year (thank God more even season)

Because of this they aren't the architect type of team everyone should aim to mimic. I don't want to take anything away from them they did wonderful and had a great run of injuries and took their chance at a flag.

Not that is any Richmond fans fault it's going to do my head in hearing the media go on about them like they are a greatly built team like the multiple premiership teams of Hawks and cats.
If the tiges come out and do it again next year then it's time to talk about them in that light.

The Aussie sports media is very average
I think it's a sign that the league is in a pretty good spot right now. Hawks are gone and it isn't just the most talented teams winning flags. Very good thing for the league and I hope it helps Carlton get closer to one.

Agree that the Tigers are sort of like the Bulldogs last year. Very interesting to see how things go next year when they become the team everyone wants to beat rather than being the underdog. Bulldogs coped terribly with that this year and then things like injuries began having an effect.

Haven't looked at much media today but most of it the past month or so has been about them changing up things from last year and praising them for doing so. I think that's fair enough. They could have sacked Hardwick and pretended that everything would be fine. Instead they thought it was their footy department that needed fixing and that turned out to be right.
Ughhh....24 hrs on and I'm still scratching my head over grigg having a premiership medal. Don't think it will ever make sense...but anyways... congrats tuggas. You can shut up now KB!

As if....
I'm in shock. I've despised Richmond over the years but found myself barracking for them yesterday. Have a mate in the team and know some ripper Tigers fans, hard not to feel real happy for them.

Not once during the season did I think they were a chance at the flag, only really thought it was a chance once they beat the Cats in week one of the finals.

It got pretty depressing as the night went on knowing that I haven't seen Carlton get near a flag.

Back