Richmond in 2018: Another Bulldogs or here to stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching the Tigers the last few weeks it was clearly obvious they were close to something special and yesterday obviously proved it.

Is this another case of a team having everything click into place for that one day in September?

They had a favourable draw, decent injury run, a changed gameplan that opposition teams struggled to deal with, a revival from Trent Cotchin and rise of Dustin Martin to mega star. Safe to say it all worked out beautifully.

Where do we see the Tigers go from here though? We all saw with the Bulldogs this year but going from underdogs to the team everyone wants to beat is a different challenge all together.

I think the Tigers are a better side, they didn't sneak into the 8 like the Dogs and their star talent is on another level to that of the Dogs.

Are they going to hang around towards the top of the ladder?

I've got doubts purely because I think they're one of the top teams that can least afford to have anything go wrong during a season. But then there's also the youth factor to consider. They had a number of players yesterday that have plenty of room for growth yet which certainly is a positive thing for the Tigers.

My god people are quick to try and shoot you down.

Tigers fans: we won the flag!
*24 hours*
Bigfooty: lol wont make finals next year

Anyway my tip, we will make the finals next year, hopefully make another September run, but given how even the comp is and us now being the hunted, I doubt we get to the GF again.

*24 hours*

Anyway my tip, we will make the finals next year, hopefully make another September run, but given how even the comp is and us now being the hunted, I doubt we get to the GF again.
I'm not shooting Richmond down at all. Didn't say you wouldn't make the finals either.

Can't really blame neutral fans for wanting to look towards next year so quickly.

Lol are people writing the dogs off over 1 down season?

Their issue was mostly off field/cultural.. Hard to play well as a team when one of your team mates is going around plowing everyones partners. They will be back up there.
The standard media line trotted out was that there was no issue with JJ and Stringer. I can tell you right now that the second JJ signed, Stringer was done. I'd be very surprised if they didn't bounce back next year with some off field issues sorted out.

The core group is in tact and i also think the Bob Murphy scenario held them up also. Good player, but done. And it was far too much about him. He shouldn't have played in 2017.

I think the difference between us and the Bulldogs is the make up of our list profile. The dogs won the flag on the back of their youngsters having their best seasons in the AFL, and their older players were on their last legs for the most part.

Our older players still have a few years lift and we have a great balance of 18-21 year olds, 22-25 year olds and those over 25 which should help us have some form of sustained success.

The Dogs would always be up against in this year with so many youth players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it even matter if they don't? They just won a flag and the fans will cherish that forever
It would be similar to Dogs fans this season I would have thought. Disappointing but still living off the high of the premiership. In saying that Richmond fans are a bit more demanding.
Lol are people writing the dogs off over 1 down season?

Their issue was mostly off field/cultural.. Hard to play well as a team when one of your team mates is going around plowing everyones partners. They will be back up there.
I don't think it was all off field/cultural. Seems like one of those typical convenient excuses thrown out when a team has an off year.

They weren't ever that great to begin with, they just timed their run perfectly in 2016 and it worked out beautifully.

Surely it all comes down to desire. You naturally lose a little when you obtain the holy grail. It takes a solid experienced core to keep everybody focused and a fair bit of elite talent to win you games while being off the boil.

richmond have a much more dynamic gamestyle than the dogs. i was impressed by their short kicking and composure around the 50m arc particularly from rioli, edwards, vlaustin, etc. richmond are strong in inside 50 reentries which accentuates on a larger ground. richmond wont be as strong on a narrower ground like kardinia park or adelaide oval. whereas the unsustainable dogs gamestyle is all about breakneck speed, scrounging the ball from one end to the other and repeated efforts due to a lack of quality key position players.

richmond have a much more dynamic gamestyle than the dogs. i was impressed by their short kicking and composure around the 50m arc particularly from rioli, edwards, vlaustin, etc. richmond are strong in inside 50 reentries which accentuates on a larger ground. richmond wont be as strong on a narrower ground like kardinia park or adelaide oval. whereas the unsustainable dogs gamestyle is all about breakneck speed, scrounging the ball from one end to the other and repeated efforts due to a lack of quality key position players.
That's the key I think, the Bulldogs lack key position players which means their midfield has to be a fair bit better than the opposition. They were in 2016 but weren't this year. I dont see weakness in the tigers list and that's the difference in the prognosis.

Last edited:

*24 hours*

There's been some posts like that around here but I don't think the OP was like that at all.

As is the general consensus, all come down to desire to build on this success. Whatever happens next year, be it good or bad will be supported with a premiership. That's something that will comfort me through any traditionally Richmondy events that may occur. Think we'll be up and about with lots of kids still developing, amazing they took us this far. Bring on 2018! Looking forward to the next page in this story.

Definitely top 8 and most likely top 4 again.

I reckon the top 4 next year will be Adelaide, GWS, Port Adelaide and Richmond. Geelong will fall out of the 8. West Coast will be bottom 6. Melbourne will definitely make the 8 if they have better luck with injuries. St Kilda are coming along nicely and will definitely make the 8 in 2019 and might even get there in 2018 but the list is still pretty young.

Things are really motoring along for Richmond though and I see them definitely sustaining it next year and maybe even getting better with more games pumped into all the youngsters they still have.

I'd love to see Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda all in the 8 next year..........and Collingwood.

******* oath we can go back to back. Rance and Dusty are two of the best five in the comp and we have a damn young list.

Be very afraid campaigners, Richmond have patterns (long drought, lots of premierships, rinse and repeat)

1920-1943 (5 flags)
1944-1966 (0 flags)
1967-1982 (5 flags)
1983-2016 (0 flags)
2017-???? (1 flag+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back