2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade period preview: Who will your club target and shop around?
Lions
Indicative draft picks:
1, 12, 18, 41, 73

Delisted: Josh Clayton, Jonathan Freeman, Blake Grewar, Ryan Harwood, Jarrad Jansen

Retired: None

Unsigned free agents: Tom Rockliff (restricted), Claye Beams (unrestricted)

What they said: "We won’t be taking anyone who’s at high risk of wanting to return home. It’s an understandable thing with young people. It’s normal." – coach Chris Fagan.

Whispers: The Lions are striving to convince Hawthorn great Luke Hodge to come out of retirement and play on at the Gabba. If the Lions' surprise bid is successful – and there's a growing sense it will be – the dual North Smith medallist will cost them a lowly draft pick at most. The Lions' primary target, Crows speedster Charlie Cameron, won't come anywhere near as cheaply. Given he's contracted until the end of next season, the Crows will drive a hard bargain and could target the Lions' second-round pick, No.18, or any compensation pick they receive if former skipper Tom Rockliff departs the Gabba via free agency. Rockliff is being courted by Carlton and Port Adelaide, and is expected to attract a salary in the $600,000 range that should net the Lions an end-of-first-round or second-round compensation selection. Despite re-signing with the Lions in June, Josh Schache remains a strong chance of being traded home to Victoria, with the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood linked to 2015's No.2 draft pick. Fellow key forward Michael Close remains out of contract and could attract rival interest late in the trade period.

Adelaide - Whispers: The Crows' Grand Final wounds are still raw, but two of their vanquished 22 are expected to request trades soon. Out-of-contract defender Jake Lever will seek a move to Melbourne, while Charlie Cameron wants to get to Brisbane for family reasons. Cameron, however, is contracted for next season so the Crows will hold the whip hand in their talks with the Lions.

Carlton - Whispers: Griffen, 31, would satisfy the Blues' strategy of bolstering their midfield with mature bodies, but their chief target is Tom Rockliff. Carlton is locked in an evenly poised tug-of-war with Port Adelaide for the former Lions captain. If the Blues can acquire Rockliff and/or Griffen, it could convince them to part with senior midfielder Bryce Gibbs.

Collingwood - Whispers: The Pies are looking to find some aerial support in attack for Darcy Moore, so will consider second-year Brisbane Lion Josh Schache. The No.2 draft pick of 2015 is contracted until the end of 2019, but appears gettable at the right price, most likely a late first-round pick. The Western Bulldogs are among the other Victorian clubs expected to sound out the Seymour product, while fellow Lion Michael Close, who is out of contract, is another key forward the Magpies could consider.

Hawthorn - Whispers: The Hawks have been relatively quiet ahead of the player exchange period – and it's making the rest of the competition nervous. Their weak hand in this year's draft – their first pick falls at No.32 – meant they were always unlikely to be active traders, while earlier industry suspicions they would bid for free agents Tom Rockliff and Jackson Trengove proved unfounded.

Port Adelaide - Whispers: The Power are shaping to make a big splash this player exchange period, having met with two of this year's best remaining free agents, Geelong speedster Steven Motlop and Brisbane Lions vice-captain Tom Rockliff. Port is in the box seat to land Motlop, 26, but is locked in a fierce battle with Carlton for Rockliff, 27. Both Motlop and Rockliff are restricted free agents, but Geelong and the Lions are unlikely to match rival offers if, as expected, they receive attractive compensation picks. Port won't receive any compensation for Trengove if it secures Motlop and/or Rockliff, but is almost certain not to match the Bulldogs' offer, happy to get Trengove's salary of about $600,000 off its books.

Richmond - Whispers: Richmond talent manager Dan Richardson has said the club is unlikely to pursue contracted Brisbane Lion Josh Schache, preferring to hang on to its two first-round picks in this year's draft, No.15 and No.17.

Included are the whispers from every other club linked to a Lions player.

If Collingwood are interested in Schache and offered pick 6, would we take it?

"Josh Schache remains a strong chance of being traded home to Victoria, with the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood linked to 2015's No.2 draft pick." - AFL Website

Last edited:

If Collingwood are interested in Schache and offered pick 6, would we take it?

"Josh Schache remains a strong chance of being traded home to Victoria, with the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood linked to 2015's No.2 draft pick." - AFL Website
Up to Josh I reckon.

If he really wants to stay, back him in and keep him. But if he wants to go then make it happen (if Pick 6 is being offered) and depart on good terms.

Wondering if Adelaide might come hard at Rocky now, after the Grand Final loss. Its still around the contest where they need a boost. Would be handy If another club comes in and drives his price up yo net us pick 2 compo if he decides to leave.
That way a Dow and Stephenson or LDU and Stephenson combo would be awesome.
If we took the deal as mentioned above, I have heard the club is into Cerra a bit so he might make it to 6

If I were the Crows I'd do anything to get Rocky and Gibbs. Both would make a huge difference

Salary cap may be an issue.
More than likely, but if they want to win a premiership they need to do something, they have been so close the last 2 years but have fallen short in the same areas.
Don Pyke said after the loss last night that he doesnt think they need to change too much. But you need to make changes to keep up otherwise the game passes teams by.
Gibbs will help, but he is too similar to the rest of the team, he's more of an outside player

Apex36 on the Pies board pointed out those picks were identical points, what are the chances. :)
Apex36 on the Pies board hasn't had original thought in all these draft scenarios.

When I proposed the exact pick swap he argued against it and wanted more coming back Collingwood's way.

If Stephenson looks to go in the top 4, then I don't see any interest in pick 6.

Pick 12 we should get a shot at Clark or Boner, and if we don't trade pick 18 for Charlie Cameron, then one of O'Brien or Ling should be available.

Personally I don't do the trade unless the club is interested in a combo of Dow and Cerra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than likely, but if they want to win a premiership they need to do something, they have been so close the last 2 years but have fallen short in the same areas.
Don Pyke said after the loss last night that he doesnt think they need to change too much. But you need to make changes to keep up otherwise the game passes teams by.
Gibbs will help, but he is too similar to the rest of the team, he's more of an outside player

Rocky would make a great captain for them. Tex is useless

Apex36 on the Pies board hasn't had original thought in all these draft scenarios.

When I proposed the exact pick swap he argued against it and wanted more coming back Collingwood's way.

If Stephenson looks to go in the top 4, then I don't see any interest in pick 6.

Pick 12 we should get a shot at Clark or Boner, and if we don't trade pick 18 for Charlie Cameron, then one of O'Brien or Ling should be available.

Personally I don't do the trade unless the club is interested in a combo of Dow and Cerra.

The one reason we do that trade is if we keep 18 and think there's a good chance we may have to use it on Ballenden. Otherwise 18 for Cameron or ? and keep 12

The one reason we do that trade is if we keep 18 and think there's a good chance we may have to use it on Ballenden. Otherwise 18 for Cameron or ? and keep 12

Walker was voted best captain by the players association.

Yeah I am aware of all that. This trade scenario has been discussed, a lot, on the main draft, trade and free agency board. And in this thread and/or the draft thread at least twice before.

Personally I don't believe Ballenden will be bid on before pick 18. And if he is, I'd be seriously tempted to not match the bid.

Yeah I am aware of all that. This trade scenario has been discussed, a lot, on the main draft, trade and free agency board. And in this thread and/or the draft thread at least twice before.

Personally I don't believe Ballenden will be bid on before pick 18. And if he is, I'd be seriously tempted to not match the bid.

You reckon he has a little bit of the looks like tarzan plays like Jane about him?

Dodongo wants to point out Richmond will. Leppitsch has a boner for talls and Richmond have a boner for Brisbane's academy talls via Leppitsch. Dodongo will stake his balls that Richmond will definitely bid on Connor with their first pick. Dodongo thinks that's the most sure thing about draft night.

They will want Naish f/s

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back