Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty heavily relies on his team mates I.e Prestia

Without the bloke above he would just be your above average midfielder

Ablett has 2 Brownlows and could have had 3 premierships, Martin has a long way to go.
Hahahah... Almost spat out my drink..

And I could have had 12 premierships and 8 brownlows if I didn't sit on the couch for all those years. I've got none, but based on this I should at least be in the discussion for goat? Surely I get a look in..

That's greatest of all time by the way.

Just a fact check, Dustin Martin is 26 years old. Gary Ablett Jr who is often put in the GOAT discussions at 26 had:
- 2 premierships (Dusty has one) I'm not a fan of flags, as it's a team award
- 1 Brownlow medal (Dusty has one)
- 112 Brownlow votes (Dusty has 134)
- 3x MVP awards (Dusty has one)
- 4x All-Australians (Dusty has two)
- 2x Best and fairests (Dusty should win his 2nd)
- 2x B&F's in premiership years (Dusty should have one coming up)

So at 26 years old, Dusty is a bit behind GAJ at the same age, but obviously as we've seen, is virtually unstoppable and I think he might have a case should his career span maybe 8 more years? Most if not all would need to be elite. I'd go as far as to say Dusty's current ability exceeds Ablett Jr's best. I'm young but I haven't seen a player other than Carey's highlight reels be such a God-like figure on the field who could single-handedly carry his team over the line. Martin also looks destined to be a one-club player which for obvious reasons, is always looked up more to than multi-club players by AFL fans.

Dusty just completed the first hat-trick ever - Brownlow/Premiership/Norm Smith in the one season. Should he continue at a similar level which I see no reason why he can not, Martin by career's end could be one of the greatest ever. A second premiership would be huge to his credentials.

What do y'all think?

Settle the * down. He's had 1 amazing year.

His year will go down as one of greatest. But it's just one year. Give him a bit of time before talking about GOATs

Wouldn't have thought so.

It sorta depends how players go out of the game though, if he retired in this form after another 7 years you'd have to ask the question. At this stage it's just 1 great season, which he may not actually repeat.

GAJ would've been a firm contender before he messed up his shoulder, just a level below now IMO.

I think that if he tried to do everything on his own, then maybe he would convince some naysayers

As long as he is a team player people will assume he can't do what GAJ was forced to at the Suns

Dusty heavily relies on his team mates I.e Prestia

Without the bloke above he would just be your above average midfielder
lmao. Here mate, I''ll ruin your argument in one picture.
Prestia did not play for Richmond last year. Heres Dusty last year.

dusty.jpg

Dustys Dad gets deported on April 6th. His 3 games after that he struggles, then he gets over and it goes on a tear.
In a team that was pretty s**t he picks up 24 votes in the next 13 games including 6 BOG. Just that 13 game run would put him equal 4th in the total brownlow tally for the year. but yeh pretty average /s

And look at the disposal numbers. A run of 38, 35, 32, 38, 43 and 39? But yeh totally just an above average mid without Prestia.

He has had 1 very very good season, lets see how he pulls up next year and the next few years, after a few weeks away with Swanny every year.

No, he's not even the best player in the competition.
Martin's 2017:

- AFL Players Association MVP (Leigh Matthews trophy)
- The AFL Coaches Association champion player of the year award
- All Australian selection (his second)
- Brownlow medal
- Premiership medal
- Norm Smith medal

- Gary Aryes Medal???
- Club best and fairerst???

Am I missing anything? He is certainly without doubt the best player in the competition.

In winning the Norm Smith medal, Dusty became the first ever AFL player to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith and premiership in the same season

If he can be more like his captain Trent off field and less like his off field party partner Dane then he has every chance of being GOAT on field without being a tragic wreck off it post career like Ben Cousins.

I truly hope the former is his mainstay.

This is a stupid thread but those saying this year is Martin's first great year genuinely have no idea about the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the first year Dusty has put together consistent 4th quarter performances. Great player obviously but to be considered the GOAT he needs to play at that level for years so come.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
he was very good the year before as well, winning a b and f and 3rd in the brownlow, years before that he was still pretty good, the guy has averaged 20 disp since he started, talk of him being inconsistent is false, he produces every year

Am I missing anything? He is certainly without doubt the best player in the competition.

but we are quick to forget, Fyfe, Dangerfield, and a few years before them, Gary junior up at Gold Coast all had this individual seasons that stood out for eternity, except, when they were matched within a coupla years hence

but we are quick to forget, Fyfe, Dangerfield, and a few years before them,

No fajjer we remember them they are pretty good too

DeTdXCm.jpg

Martin's 2017:

- AFL Players Association MVP (Leigh Matthews trophy)
- The AFL Coaches Association champion player of the year award
- All Australian selection (his second)
- Brownlow medal
- Premiership medal
- Norm Smith medal

- Gary Aryes Medal???
- Club best and fairerst???

The Gary Aryes medal will go the way of the Army award within 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way dude both abletts, carey and lethal will not be knocked off the perch. Ablett jnr at his best was insanely good. Mccaffer ****ed his chances of being goat. Right now dusty is on par with danger and fyfe in terms of output to date. All 3 are absolute guns but none will reach ablett jnrs heights as a mid tho.

I f*cking hate this crap. He's a gun and he was head and shoulders the best player this year... But it was his first elite season.

Ablett Jr. Ricciuto. Hird. Buckley. Voss. Black. Goodes. Mitchell. Swan. Pendles. Kennedy. Akermanis. Franklin.

Every name I have listed above has had at least 4-5 elite seasons. Some of them even more.

Dusty has a very, very long way to go.

Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett snr best I've seen
However Lethal was named player of the century that those two played in for a reason
Judge Martin at the end of his career..but his trajectory is on the right track

The GOAT is between Carey, Ablett Sr and possibly GAJ and Judd in the mix.

I don't have Buddy in the conversation, because as good as he is, the man can't take a pack mark.

Dusty has certainly had a great year and has prob leapfrogged Danger as the best player in the league (just).

The GOAT is between Carey, Ablett Sr and possibly GAJ and Judd in the mix.

I don't have Buddy in the conversation, because as good as he is, the man can't take a pack mark.

Dusty has certainly had a great year and has prob leapfrogged Danger as the best player in the league (just).
And as it is, he was one vote ahead of Dangerfield in the Brownlow. People are overrating the didference because he of the premiership and Norm Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back