Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling anyone calling Carey the goat is too young to have watched Leigh Matthews in his prime ;)

From what I've heard I would have to agree.

From what I actually saw Carey was hands down the best - he was the best player in the comp at 21, playing the toughest position on the field, and was so consistent at turning it on almost every game and the bigger the moment the bigger he was.

Seems a few warriors can't differentiate 'if' and 'can'. I don't think he'll be the best of all time, but he's a machine whose durability suggests he will play well into his early to mid thirties. Should he continue at this level for several more years, there's no reason he at minimum can't be discussed as one of the greatest of the modern era, the most advanced era of football.

Remember, things nowadays can be better than things in the past. Nostalgia is fantastic, but it often gets in the way of debate.

Why does this stuff come up so often in the modern day? He's not the best player of the past 5 years, he's light years from Gary Ablett jr at his best and Danger is still way ahead as a footballer and likeability.
Martin is a good strong player, who has had two very good seasons in a row. Let's not get carried away like the media who are midfield centric. I'm doubtful he makes the top 10 since 2000.
In no order after Ablett jr
Ablett jr

Judd
Danger
Black
Voss
Harvey
Hird
Cousins
Swan
Hayes
Mitchell
Pendlebury
Cotchin
Goodes

You could pick these names out of a barrel in any order you want before i put Martin in for a spin.

he was very good the year before as well, winning a b and f and 3rd in the brownlow, years before that he was still pretty good, the guy has averaged 20 disp since he started, talk of him being inconsistent is false, he produces every year
He was know for strong starts and then fading out of games, I thought this year was the first year he put together complete games for the whole season . Kids a gun I am not knocking him at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Why does this stuff come up so often in the modern day? He's not the best player of the past 5 years, he's light years from Gary Ablett jr at his best and Danger is still way ahead as a footballer and likeability.
Martin is a good strong player, who has had two very good seasons in a row. Let's not get carried away like the media who are midfield centric. I'm doubtful he makes the top 10 since 2000.
In no order after Ablett jr
Ablett jr

Judd
Danger
Black
Voss
Harvey
Hird
Cousins
Swan
Hayes
Mitchell
Pendlebury
Cotchin
Goodes

You could pick these names out of a barrel in any order you want before i put Martin in for a spin.
Cotchin and Danger but no Fyfe?

No, thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly not the GOAT but had an amazing season and an amazing finals series. Is a very good player currently at the peak of his powers. Won the brownlow and norm smith in the same year which is a great effort too.

When talking of GOAT Barry Cable deserves a mention. Won 3 consecutive Simpson Medals (equivalent of a norm smith) in the WAFL GFs from 1966-1986 and won the Sandover (equivalent of Brownlow) in 1964, 1968 (same year as Simpson) and 1973. Was a star in the WAFL, VFL and State games. Well before my time but old timers say he was amazing. Have a look at his list of honours, stacks up amazingly well. No wonder Lethal Leigh knocked him out a few times.

Stephen Michael and Polly Farmer are the 2 other WA footballers that deserve to be mentioned as GOATs conversation. Again before my time but apparently amazing footballers.

And my GOAT that i saw is Carey. Just his influence on a game was amazing. Note I was born in 1982 so prior to that i only go on reports.

Never saw mathews so cant comment, but his number of goals in phenomenal for a midfielder/small forward and that he was so tough and fearless. So happy to defer to older and wiser minds who say he was the best.

No.

Ablett, Franklin, Dangerfield all ahead of him in that discussion for current players. Argument could be made for Mitchell or Pendlebury too.

i think its hilarious u kids talking s**t about Martin. u wouldnt say this s**t to him at Revs, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic

i think its hilarious u kids talking s**t about Martin. u wouldnt say this s**t to him at Revs, hes jacked. not only that but he wears the freshest clothes, eats at the chillest restaurants and hangs out with the hottest dudes. yall are pathetic
he cant even use chopsticks properly

That's greatest of all time by the way.

Just a fact check, Dustin Martin is 26 years old. Gary Ablett Jr who is often put in the GOAT discussions at 26 had:
- 2 premierships (Dusty has one) I'm not a fan of flags, as it's a team award
- 1 Brownlow medal (Dusty has one)
- 112 Brownlow votes (Dusty has 134)
- 3x MVP awards (Dusty has one)
- 4x All-Australians (Dusty has two)
- 2x Best and fairests (Dusty should win his 2nd)
- 2x B&F's in premiership years (Dusty should have one coming up)

So at 26 years old, Dusty is a bit behind GAJ at the same age, but obviously as we've seen, is virtually unstoppable and I think he might have a case should his career span maybe 8 more years? Most if not all would need to be elite. I'd go as far as to say Dusty's current ability exceeds Ablett Jr's best. I'm young but I haven't seen a player other than Carey's highlight reels be such a God-like figure on the field who could single-handedly carry his team over the line. Martin also looks destined to be a one-club player which for obvious reasons, is always looked up more to than multi-club players by AFL fans.

Dusty just completed the first hat-trick ever - Brownlow/Premiership/Norm Smith in the one season. Should he continue at a similar level which I see no reason why he can not, Martin by career's end could be one of the greatest ever. A second premiership would be huge to his credentials.

What do y'all think?

I think the premise of this thread is wrong because GAJ is a fair way behind the actual GOAT and is even behind his Dad.

That said, Dusty is a pretty good player. Definitely worth $900k a year.

Clearly not the GOAT but had an amazing season and an amazing finals series. Is a very good player currently at the peak of his powers. Won the brownlow and norm smith in the same year which is a great effort too.

When talking of GOAT Barry Cable deserves a mention. Won 3 consecutive Simpson Medals (equivalent of a norm smith) in the WAFL GFs from 1966-1986 and won the Sandover (equivalent of Brownlow) in 1964, 1968 (same year as Simpson) and 1973. Was a star in the WAFL, VFL and State games. Well before my time but old timers say he was amazing. Have a look at his list of honours, stacks up amazingly well. No wonder Lethal Leigh knocked him out a few times.

Stephen Michael and Polly Farmer are the 2 other WA footballers that deserve to be mentioned as GOATs conversation. Again before my time but apparently amazing footballers.

No, that's just because Matthews is a dirty thug that should've been jailed after the Bruns incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back