Eddie raving about another club

Remove this Banner Ad

MEMO TO EDDIE

Dear Ed

I want to express my sincere thanks for covertly appointing Gubby into my role last year, whilst I was still officially in the role. If not for you, and notwithstanding you were probably a little surprised that I did not readily accept the subsequent demotion, I would not have moved on and been part of the successes at Richmond this year.

I sincerely wish you and the club good fortune in 2018, and expect you to replicate our success this year, particularly given the quality of the people, including your good self, that run your footy club.

Best wishes

Balmey

MEMO TO EDDIE

Dear Ed

I want to express my sincere thanks for covertly appointing Gubby into my role last year, whilst I was still officially in the role. If not for you, and notwithstanding you were probably a little surprised that I did not readily accept the subsequent demotion, I would not have moved on and been part of the successes at Richmond this year.

I sincerely wish you and the club good fortune in 2018, and expect you to replicate our success this year, particularly given the quality of the people, including your good self, that run your footy club.

Best wishes

Balmey

You need sharper hooks mate. Balmey's had two goes at the Pies. He's happy wherever he is.
BTW....do you remember who the FM's were at the Bulldogs and North and Carlton and Sydney and.....oh whoever won the flags we should have won!!

You need sharper hooks mate. Balmey's had two goes at the Pies. He's happy wherever he is.
BTW....do you remember who the FM's were at the Bulldogs and North and Carlton and Sydney and.....oh whoever won the flags we should have won!!
To be fair he's probably still hungover after yesterday.

Didn't Balmy's team also win a Premiership the other time he left the Pies?

Didn't Balmy's team also win a Premiership the other time he left the Pies?

You mean the Cats? Yeah Balmey did some magnificent witches hat moving down here!
What I wanna know is how he got around to all those other clubs on the side and nobody knew he was winning them all those flags? How did the Hawks and the Swans hide Balmey? And the Doggies? wow how did he manufacture that for them?
Balmey is the lucky tummy rub Buddah of the AFL !

I was referring to this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Balme

"Surprisingly, Balme was moved sideways by Collingwood at the end of the 2006 AFL season and he opted to accept an offer from Geelong Football Club to act as football operations manager in 2007, for the Cats, the year in which the club won its first Premiership in 44 years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Balme

#historyrepeats

Lightning never strikes twice.

Or does it Ed, you great big buffoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lightning never strikes twice.

Or does it Ed.
Actually.... lightning strikes again and again in the same spot if there is a lightning rod or conductor.

But if nothing else a fisherman is patient. Let me hook just one more line. You never know your luck.

Balme has been party to ultimate success at both Geelong and now Richmond. He also experienced good (but not ultimate) success at Collingwood under McGuire/Malthouse however zero success at Collingwood under McGuire/Buckley. It's got me befuddled as to why? Any thoughts on this one gentlemen?

But if nothing else a fisherman is patient. Let me hook just one more line. You never know your luck.

Balme has been party to ultimate success at both Geelong and now Richmond. He also experienced good (but not ultimate) success at Collingwood under McGuire/Malthouse however zero success at Collingwood under McGuire/Buckley. It's got me befuddled as to why? Any thoughts on this one gentlemen?

Oh geez I'll have a go (sign that I'm really bored feeding a troll...but anyways)
I'm a fisherman (freshwater fly fisherman actually) and yeah we're patient. We don't mind going for hours on end trying to lure an elusive brown, to play it to near exhaustion then to photograph it and return it to the river to fight another day. Balmey would make a good fisherman too. He's happy as long as he's doing his thing (helping out around a footy club....any footy club that pays his way). He's good with people, he cares and he makes people around him feel better. He's one of those blokes thats made a career out of being a good bloke around footy clubs. He wasn't a bad coach either apparently, but one stint at Melbourne did him in and I don't think he fancies the real pressure that being the main man entails.
Every club has a Balmey, some clubs probably have 4 or 5 of them. But if you actually want to suggest that the big fella had any more influence on the Cat's flags than an assistant coach (try Brendan McCartney...he did it at GFC, then WB and now he's at Melbourne) then your seriously overestimating the role of the GM.
Don't get me wrong Balmey is a vital cog in the Tiger's administration just as he was at GFC and CFC, but thats all he is. Make it into some criticism of Ed and his administration if you want (I'd much rather have got rid of Pert before Balmey, but then If Gubby had've come onboard I'd have been satisfied with his nouse as opposed to Balmeys too.)
So no more Hooks mate, Balmey didn't win the Tigers a premiership, nor did he lose them for us. He does his job very well and he is a good bloke, end of story.

Next?

Oh geez I'll have a go (sign that I'm really bored feeding a troll...but anyways)
I'm a fisherman (freshwater fly fisherman actually) and yeah we're patient. We don't mind going for hours on end trying to lure an elusive brown, to play it to near exhaustion then to photograph it and return it to the river to fight another day. Balmey would make a good fisherman too. He's happy as long as he's doing his thing (helping out around a footy club....any footy club that pays his way). He's good with people, he cares and he makes people around him feel better. He's one of those blokes thats made a career out of being a good bloke around footy clubs. He wasn't a bad coach either apparently, but one stint at Melbourne did him in and I don't think he fancies the real pressure that being the main man entails.
Every club has a Balmey, some clubs probably have 4 or 5 of them. But if you actually want to suggest that the big fella had any more influence on the Cat's flags than an assistant coach (try Brendan McCartney...he did it at GFC, then WB and now he's at Melbourne) then your seriously overestimating the role of the GM.
Don't get me wrong Balmey is a vital cog in the Tiger's administration just as he was at GFC and CFC, but thats all he is. Make it into some criticism of Ed and his administration if you want (I'd much rather have got rid of Pert before Balmey, but then If Gubby had've come onboard I'd have been satisfied with his nouse as opposed to Balmeys too.)
So no more Hooks mate, Balmey didn't win the Tigers a premiership, nor did he lose them for us. He does his job very well and he is a good bloke, end of story.

Next?
Not sure Cameron Ling agrees with your assertion that every club has a Balmey ...

TRIPLE Geelong premiership player Cameron Ling said Richmond’s resurgence and Balme’s return to the Tigers were no coincidence.He sees uncanny parallels between the Cats’ drought-breaking 2007 premiership season and Richmond’s run a decade on.

Balme took over as football boss at the Cattery in November 2006 after a heavy review that, like Hardwick, almost cost Mark “Bomber” Thompson his job. “Balmey was huge for us,” Ling said. “I could rave about him all day — brilliant, unbelievable. “He was perfect for us at the time and he was so perfect for Richmond.’’ “There is probably no more experienced senior football administrator — with successful experience — than Neil Balme.”

LING said Balme enabled people to perform at the highest level and Tigerland had benefited from that immensely.“I’m still completely surprised he’s not at Collingwood, but their loss was Richmond’s massive gain,” Ling said.

FORMER Collingwood development manager Mark Kleiman, who worked with Balme at the Pies from 1998 to 2006, agrees. “He’s one of the smartest blokes I’ve met and just doesn’t make a rash decision.“If a player had mucked up or we were talking about contracting players or recruiting players or even trading players, he’d say let’s think through this before we do it. “It doesn’t surprise me how Richmond are going and how they are running now.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back