Rd 1 2018 fixture guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Collingwood has requested to play Melbourne in round 1 so maybe it has been ditched for the meantime.
It's odd, why would they want that when they've already got Queens Birthday with Melbourne?

Maybe the AFL can send Collingwood interstate for Round 1 if they keep changing their minds?

It's odd, why would they want that when they've already got Queens Birthday with Melbourne?

Maybe the AFL can send Collingwood interstate for Round 1 if they keep changing their minds?
This is from an article in the HS.

COLLINGWOOD has requested a Round 1 blockbuster against Melbourne in a move that would allow the Demons to retain hosting rights for the Queen’s Birthday match next year. The Magpies considered reclaiming hosting rights for the Queens’s Birthday Monday blockbuster but will instead seek a Round 1 battle against Melbourne as part of a gate-sharing agreement, similar to the Anzac Day deal with Essendon.

This is from an article in the HS.

COLLINGWOOD has requested a Round 1 blockbuster against Melbourne in a move that would allow the Demons to retain hosting rights for the Queen’s Birthday match next year. The Magpies considered reclaiming hosting rights for the Queens’s Birthday Monday blockbuster but will instead seek a Round 1 battle against Melbourne as part of a gate-sharing agreement, similar to the Anzac Day deal with Essendon.
Still don't like them changing their minds like that, though. Dogs v Collingwood should be given another 2-3 years at least to see how it goes.

Do Melbourne and Collingwood have to play each other twice every year?

Still don't like them changing their minds like that, though. Dogs v Collingwood should be given another 2-3 years at least to see how it goes.

Do Melbourne and Collingwood have to play each other twice every year?
I think Collingwood may have changed their mind due to the Dogs dropping down the ladder this year. If the Dogs featured deep into finals this year I think Collingwood would've been more inclined to request playing you guys again in round 1. Since 2015, we've played Collingwood twice in a season so I'm expecting that to continue for quite a few years.

A game requires two teams though

And if the other can't contribute to deliver an exciting game when it matters most, then why should they be further rewarded?

It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to be humiliated, especially when they finished on top at the end of the home and away season.

I think Collingwood may have changed their mind due to the Dogs dropping down the ladder this year. If the Dogs featured deep into finals this year I think Collingwood would've been more inclined to request playing you guys again in round 1. Since 2015, we've played Collingwood twice in a season so I'm expecting that to continue for quite a few years.
Collingwood aren't in a position to dictate here I would've thought.

AFL should've signed the off on the Dogs v Pies for 3-4 years.

And if the other can't contribute to deliver an exciting game when it matters most, then why should they be further rewarded.

It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to be humiliated, especially when they finished on top at the end of the home and away season.
A team loses the GF every year. If your team didn't then you can be very sure they were better than yours. Some respect is called for

Can I just say this is very well thought out and shares a lot of what I think will be there. Good job. My fixture is a bit different, though.

Thursday (N) - Richmond vs Carlton (MCG)
Traditional opener at least gets a bit of extra flavour with the flag unfurling. Carlton to wear clash to really announce to the world that the AFL is strong on this.

Friday (N) - Geelong vs Sydney (KP)
Two big clubs who fell just short last year meet in the first Friday night clash of the year. Featuring a Vic team and a NSW team should mean bumper TV crowds, and allow Sydney to host Richmond in a high rating Easter Thursday night clash in Round 2.

Saturday (D) - North Melbourne vs Gold Coast (Hobart)
North Melbourne host a low drawing club in Hobart, but the ground's low capacity and draw of a round 1, winnable game will still fill the stadium. A Saturday day game allows maximum break before the Good Friday clash next week.

Saturday (T) - St Kilda vs Hawthorn (ES)
The only Melbourne game this day, the appeal of seeing if these two teams have crossed paths should draw a nice sized opening week crowd for the Saints.

Saturday (N) - West Coast vs Essendon (PS)
A big drawing Victorian team with strong support across the country, an old school rivalry, plus the Worsfold factor, should draw a full crowd for the Perth Stadium opening. A Channel 7 broadcast to the whole country (well most of it).

Saturday (N) - Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs (AO)
It's Port's turn for a week 1 home game, and though they're usually lower drawing timeslots because they know the grounds tend to fill up regardless, I reckon the slowly dropping crowds this year will mean they'll go with a premier timeslot first up. Bulldogs play on Saturday night before next week's Good Friday clash. Jackson Trengove v Port will add interest.

Sunday (Early) - GWS vs Adelaide (Manuka)
Spotless unavailable, so we go to Canberra with a non-blockbuster, but still high interest, crowd. Will be a game of high interest to footy fans and the return bout of this year's dud opener.

Sunday (D) - Collingwood vs Melbourne (MCG)
Collingwood and Melbourne have apparently requested this, and, with the fuel of last years Round 23 debacle, should draw a lot of interest. Seems like a perfect Channel 7 Victorian Sunday game to me.

Sunday (T) - Brisbane vs Fremantle (Gabba)
Not the most exciting game, a certainly not a ratings bonanza, but its two teams who could genuinely win this first match, which should draw some interest. In a WA friendly timeslot.

Sunday (D) - Collingwood vs Melbourne (MCG)
Collingwood and Melbourne have apparently requested this, and, with the fuel of last years Round 23 debacle, should draw a lot of interest. Seems like a perfect Channel 7 Victorian Sunday game to me.
I have a feeling this game will be on Friday Night. Richmond have played Collingwood in round 2 for the past two years so if that goes ahead again then I think the AFL will schedule the Collingwood v Melbourne game on friday night with the Richmond v Carlton game on Thursday night.

A team loses the GF every year. If your team didn't then you can be very sure they were better than yours. Some respect is called for

I never said they didn't deserve credit for getting to the Grand Final because they did. But going all that way just to offer what they did at the big dance does not further the need for them to get extra promotion.
Just don't see the point in a GF rematch opening the season. Besides, how underwhelming it would be if it were GWS or Gold Coast coming off from a flag (no offence).

Richmond simply love facing Carlton on a Thursday night and vice versa. It's also the blues only big prime time match of the season. The AFL doesn't have much of a problem with it now as it probably would of when the blues were smashing them by 83 or 56 points. For the moment it stays, and whinging from others now means little to nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond simply love facing Carlton on a Thursday night and vice versa.
Wouldn't say I loved opening the season with you guys a few years back :sweatsmile:

But yeah I reckon keep it as it is. Great way to kick it off against an old school rival in front of 90k+ fans at the G. I'm sure Gil's pockets wouldn't mind it either.

Wouldn't say I loved opening the season with you guys a few years back :sweatsmile:

But yeah I reckon keep it as it is. Great way to kick it off against an old school rival in front of 90k+ fans at the G. I'm sure Gil's pockets wouldn't mind it either.

Believe me, as much as I love Carlton winning against your tigers, those huge losses were not pretty to watch. At least in recent times when Richmond have won, the blues have put up a fight.

Yes, we lost by 43-point loss this year but I don't see it as embarrassing. It was tigers coming out with a new aggressive game plan and Carlton arriving with raw talent. I feel next year will be just as close as the many encounters we've had before.

Funny how Richmond were getting destroyed for a couple of years and no one bats an eye. But when Carlton loses by 20-40 odd points, we are suddenly so crap that we shouldn't even be playing AFL. :rolleyes:

Thursday: Richmond vs Carlton

Friday: Collingwood vs Melbourne

Saturday:
St Kilda vs Adelaide (ES)
GWS vs Gold Coast (Canberra)
Geelong vs Fremantle (SS)
Port Adelaide vs North Melbourne (AO)
Hawthorn vs Essendon (MCG)

Sunday:
Brisbane vs Sydney (G)
West Coast vs Bulldogs (B)

Rich/Carl, Coll/Melb & Haw/Ess are apparently the 3 requested Round 1 clashes.

I don't know what will happen with the new Perth stadium, if they have a Derby or not to open the new ground.

Tigers v blues (95k)
Swans v gws (40k)
Port v crows (50k)
Lions v suns (30k)
Freo v west coast (50k)
Saints v bullies (45k)
North v Bombers (45k)
Cats v Hawks (80k)
Pies v dees(75k)

Blockbuster Round one.

Thursday:
Richmond vs Carlton (MCG)

Friday:
Collingwood vs Melbourne (MCG)

Saturday:
Sydney vs Geelong (SCG)
GWS vs North Melbourne (Spotless)
Port Adelaide vs Bulldogs (AO)
West Coast vs Essendon (Perth Stadium)

Sunday:
Gold Coast vs Fremantle (Metricon)
Hawthorn vs Adelaide (MCG)
Brisbane vs St Kilda (Gabba)

This is a complete guess for the most part with only a couple of match-ups being from murmurs or past experiences.

Geelong vs GWS at Kardinia Park - the two prelim losers to open their seasons against each other in a big clash.
WTF bring it on. Wouldn't be upset if it was at Manuka but we started at AO this year. Might as well.

Won't be surprised if Hawthorn cop Geelong first up with it being Ablett's homecoming game.

Copped Essendon this year with suspended players returning and Dangers homecoming the year before.

A round one Sydney Showdown could be an option too. I think the AFL will land the Giants a blockbuster round one clash again
Would work for me. Have to be the SCG. I dont like the ground but we have to do the right thing for the Swans once a year.It's really bad to get to and always full of Swans fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back