Tyrone Vickery's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon guys like Matthew Richardson, Kevin Bartlett and Jake King regret retiring. If only they stayed a bit longer they could've been part of this premiership.

Jack Dyer?

Deledio (as much as I still love him) and Vickery would not get a gig in our current side anyway.

If Deledio can regain fitness and have a good pre-season he can still get that flag he wants.

Vickery has a LOT of improving to do and he's 27 years old.

A fit Deledio would get games ahead of few Tigers players such as Jack Graham or Nathan Broad in defense. Possibly Jacob Townsend.

If we don't lost Ty we don't get Caddy and possibly not get Graham.

Treloar is the stupidest of the lot

If we get Treloar we don't get Sasuage Rioli or Prestia.

We haven't got our pick for Lids yet, so I guess he could of stuck around, but the poor bastard is cooked anyways.

Neither lids or Vickery would have got a game in the finals.

Maybe, maybe not....A lot would have been different.

We only discovered that having Jack as the only KPF, and only 1 ruckman worked because of necessity. When Griffiths went down, we probably would have played Vickery for much of the rest of the year.

As for Deledio...His injury would still have kept him out for most of the year, but he got into the GWS side and there is a fair chance he would have gotten back into ours.

That isn't to say that we'd have achieved the same things with them playing, but there is a good chance they would have played.

We haven't got our pick for Lids yet, so I guess he could of stuck around, but the poor bastard is cooked anyways.

The Lids trade is looking even better now.

Draft pick was future, and we were still paying some of his salary this year....So the benefits have yet to materialise.

Vickery was a clear example of someone holding back the Tigers. They tried to emulate the Hawks' possession based success for years, playing with two big forwards in Riewoldt and Vickery and it simply didn't work. They didn't have players with the skills to pull it off and Vickery wasn't versatile enough up forward.

He leaves, they change the gameplan and go smaller up forward and they become much harder to play against.

If he stayed it would have meant Hardwick was intent on staying with his old ways and Richmond wouldn't have gone anywhere.

The two criticisms of the Tigers this year (not that they matter) is that they didn't have any support in the ruck for Nank and they didn't have a second forward target to help out Riewoldt. Caddy's numbers are nothing special but he effectively played a key forward role part of the time which was useful to the structure.

On paper Vickery is *the* player they were missing, but he is s**t and they are better off without him.

Vickery was a clear example of someone holding back the Tigers. They tried to emulate the Hawks' possession based success for years, playing with two big forwards in Riewoldt and Vickery and it simply didn't work. They didn't have players with the skills to pull it off and Vickery wasn't versatile enough up forward.

He leaves, they change the gameplan and go smaller up forward and they become much harder to play against.

If he stayed it would have meant Hardwick was intent on staying with his old ways and Richmond wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Does this mean that Richmond should build a statue of Vickery at Punt Road, given that his decision to leave Richmond was the indirect cause to them winning the premiership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond won a premiership and will float off again in to crapness but will still be around
Whorethorn on the other hand in a few years time will be in merger talks again after the shite truck bandwagon supporters have well and truly jumped off the poo and wee express

While Essendon will be looking for yet another way to cheat...

The two criticisms of the Tigers this year (not that they matter) is that they didn't have any support in the ruck for Nank and they didn't have a second forward target to help out Riewoldt. Caddy's numbers are nothing special but he effectively played a key forward role part of the time which was useful to the structure.

On paper Vickery is *the* player they were missing, but he is s**t and they are better off without him.
Luckily for Richmond things worked out how they did. Griffiths going down left Hardwick playing a small forward line which just happened to work well.

Experimented with Soldo playing as the ruck and Nank going down forward but wasn't working as well.

Vickery would have been the same story.

Luckily for Richmond things worked out how they did. Griffiths going down left Hardwick playing a small forward line which just happened to work well.

Experimented with Soldo playing as the ruck and Nank going down forward but wasn't working as well.

Vickery would have been the same story.

If it works you can claim it was the plan all along!

We were an average side in 2014, lost our B&F winning key defender in pre-season then lost his replacement 5 minutes into Rd 1. Everyone thought we'd finish bottom 4 and we ended up finishing 2nd and making the GF playing with McGovern and a re-jigged defence with Sheppard and Wellingham. I would have laughed at suggestions we would make the GF with Brad Sheppard sometimes lining up in defence on opposition ruckmen, but it happened.

Richmond's forward line is an interesting case study as they really prioritised defence. Riewoldt, Butler, Rioli, Castagna, Caddy the top goalkickers (20+) excluding Martin who isn't a permanent forward. 70-80 tackles from each of the smalls except Caddy who missed 3 games and is the same on average. I look at my team by comparison and we had Jamie Cripps with 79, then Darling (a tall) with 67 and LeCras with 45. I imagine our team with Kennedy/Darling and 4 smalls playing with the defensive intensity of Cripps and I reckon we'd be a lot better than we are with LeCras kicking a few more goals than any of those Richmond smalls and doing nothing else.

Will be interesting to see if they adopt the same setup next year and and whether other clubs follow suit/work it out.

Maybe, maybe not....A lot would have been different.

We only discovered that having Jack as the only KPF, and only 1 ruckman worked because of necessity. When Griffiths went down, we probably would have played Vickery for much of the rest of the year.

As for Deledio...His injury would still have kept him out for most of the year, but he got into the GWS side and there is a fair chance he would have gotten back into ours.

That isn't to say that we'd have achieved the same things with them playing, but there is a good chance they would have played.
Thats fair.

We dropped Elton though, so maybe would have dropped Vickery. I doubt Lids would have got into the side over Graham either.

A fit Deledio would get games ahead of few Tigers players such as Jack Graham or Nathan Broad in defense. Possibly Jacob Townsend.
Graham provides grunt which Deledio can't provide. Broad is playing as a third tall backman, a role Deledio has never played. He's always been either a forward flanker or back flanker. Even fit he's too slow now to suit Richmond's gamestyle.

Simply put, I don't know or care if it has been posted already; Tyrone Vickery would not have fit the way that Richmond want to play this year. Neither he nor Deledio would have played this year, as I doubt they would have stuck fat with Vickery when he didn't apply pressure or make the contests desired of him.

Also, keeping Vickery would have caused logistical problems meaning that they may not have acquired the players that they were chasing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back