Rd 1 2018 fixture guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I reckon they’ll keep the traditional start to the year. But give Carlton the home game. They’ll have Richmond v Adelaide in rd2

nah, * that.
More fun with it being their home game, unfurling the flag against the rival and then we bring them back to earth with a round one loss like we did last time they tried that.

nah, **** that.
More fun with it being their home game, unfurling the flag against the rival and then we bring them back to earth with a round one loss like we did last time they tried that.

We can beat GWS, why would their cast offs be a challenge?

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t get the appeal of a GF replay straight up. Both teams are usually slow starters.

Funnily enough I think this is a good reason FOR a GF replay in round one. Reigning premiers against a team that has been at pre season training four weeks longer is more of an issue the earlier in the season it falls. The two GF teams have been at it the same length of time, seems a natural fit.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, not going to happen.

It's Carlton's only marquee match.

Wonder what people were thinking back when Carlton were blowing them out of the park years ago.

I pretty much agree with you.

In recent years Carlton have been the runt in the Big 4 litter and perhaps as a consequence have missed out on the Marquee games whereas the others have built 2 or 3 strong marquee games.

Richmond have Round 1, Dreamtime and ANZAC Eve and after Saturday there is zero chance of the AFL even thinking of interfering with any.

Essendon have in ANZAC and Dreamtime probably the Two stand out home and away fixtures - though next year Round 1 will probably outdraw both.

Carlton would quite rightly kick up a scene if deprived of Round 1 VS the Mighty Tiger.

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Why wouldn't they have a derby first up to open the new oval? Did that for the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval....

Whilst that makes perfectly logical sense, both clubs have requested no round 1 derbies for a few years now. Even for a such a special occasion it's not happening. Now, as usual, it's just turned into a s**t fight over who "deserves" to play the first game there...

BTs Nana

All Australian
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We cannot keep revolving the fixture around Hodge. It was done once. Never again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't be surprised if Hawthorn cop Geelong first up with it being Ablett's homecoming game.

Copped Essendon this year with suspended players returning and Dangers homecoming the year before.

That'll be the round 2 Easter Monday clash, surely.

Not sure why anyone is questioning the tigs vs blues starter

Afl want massive crowds round one, and both the tigs and blues fans have always rocked up for this one regardless of form.

As for build up, when the club boards have to ban preview threads in january because they dont want to deal with three months of banning people, you know the fans are up for it.

I hate carlton with a passion, but i dont doubt they will rock up round 1 (and that they feel the same about my mob)

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure why anyone is questioning the tigs vs blues starter

Afl want massive crowds round one, and both the tigs and blues fans have always rocked up for this one regardless of form.

As for build up, when the club boards have to ban preview threads in january because they dont want to deal with three months of banning people, you know the fans are up for it.

I hate carlton with a passion, but i dont doubt they will rock up round 1 (and that they feel the same about my mob)

The Tiges first game as reigning Premiers, and the Blues will have a good preseason and go in with lots of promise and enthusiasm wanting to knock them off, the AFL should expect 85-90 thousand.
AFL would laugh in the face of anyone seriously suggesting it should be changed.

CarAttack

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't surprise me. Friday nights are horrible for Geelong based cats fans and Thursday's are worse again with work the next day.
The AFL only care if tiger fans can make it or not. 10k vs 85k tiger fans for our home game in Round 1.

Yes yes Salt, sooo much salt lol!
Yep there is no doubt in that at all.
I reckon you lose 10k to 15k Geelong supporters every time that we play a game in Melb on a Friday night. Just too hard with work, distance, peak traffic etc.
If its the other teams home game, then bad luck to us as its their right to have it then. But Geelong should never be scheduled to have a Melb home game on a Friday. ( or Thurdays ).

1st world problems of course.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
With the Commonwealth games on during April, does that mean games in Queensland are off for a while?

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep there is no doubt in that at all.
I reckon you lose 10k to 15k Geelong supporters every time that we play a game in Melb on a Friday night. Just too hard with work, distance, peak traffic etc.
If its the other teams home game, then bad luck to us as its their right to have it then. But Geelong should never be scheduled to have a Melb home game on a Friday. ( or Thurdays ).

1st world problems of course.
makes sense to me, the other half is from geelong and getting there is a bastard from the sth east of melbourne, going from geelong to melb on a friday night after work would be hellish. cats should get saturday arvo or night games in melbourne, or sunday arvo, really the only sensible choices

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I pretty much agree with you.

In recent years Carlton have been the runt in the Big 4 litter and perhaps as a consequence have missed out on the Marquee games whereas the others have built 2 or 3 strong marquee games.

Richmond have Round 1, Dreamtime and ANZAC Eve and after Saturday there is zero chance of the AFL even thinking of interfering with any.

Essendon have in ANZAC and Dreamtime probably the Two stand out home and away fixtures - though next year Round 1 will probably outdraw both.

Carlton would quite rightly kick up a scene if deprived of Round 1 VS the Mighty Tiger.
and its our home game this year, 90k plus? will be huge anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back