Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: The day as a whole package, good entertainment -Riewoldt on stage with the killers will go down post match celebration history! Would have been happy to see either team win, Adelaide for Eddie Betts would have been great and Richmond because of their premiership drought.

Learnt: Martin is not only a consistent gun player during the home and away season but the pressure of finals doesn’t phase him in the slightest.

Hated: The one sided contest after the first quarter. After such an unpredictable season, the finals were pretty boring.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Clearly? How would you know that Nostradamus?

Because richmond suck harder than paris hilton at a c*ck convention away from the mcg:

The best they could manage was lolport - 5th and fremantle -14th

They aint no hawthorn bud - they are mcg queens:

18th - Beat brisbane at the gabba by 52

1st - Lost to adelaide at ao by 76

10th - Lost to the dogs at etihad by 5

4th - Lost to gws by 3 at spotless

15th - Beat roos by 35 at etihad

5th - Beat port by 13 at ao

11th - Lost by 67 to saints at etihad

18th - Beat brisbane at etihad by 31

17th - Beat gc by 33 at metricon

2nd - Lost to geelong by 14 at skilled

14th - Beat freo by 104 at subi

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Bonus: Adelaide 2017 is Hawthorne 2012 - on the cusp of a three-peat.

Well, it's Hawthorn, actually. No 'e'. Not fancy, just plain. I'm not sure if Adelaide will do that, but you're right in one respect. The thing that Hawthorn learnt from their 2012 Grand Final was they needed to learn how to play them, how to prepare for them, and set about doing precisely that. This is what the Crows have to do now. No use complaining about playing at the MCG and all these other stupid things people carry on about, they have to sit down and ask "Is this the style of game that wins a flag"? "What changes can we make to personnel and game style in order to succeed"? You go two ways after a losing a Grand Final. You either take your bat and ball and go home, or you come back bigger and better for another shot next years. The choice is theirs.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Because richmond suck harder than paris hilton at a c*ck convention away from the mcg:

Why do you keep posting, do you enjoy sounding stupid?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Why do you keep posting, do you enjoy sounding stupid?
You asked how do i know they suck away from home.

I provide evidence.

You let fly with an ad hominem

And im the one that looks stupid?

A smart man would have a come back - a retort or some facts and figures to disabuse me of that which i espouse.

You have none of that.

Shhhhhh

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Liked the game of Bashar Houli, thought he was clearly B.O.G.
Learn every year, you just have to make it to have a chance
Hate the fact I will be bent over and rammed by Richmond supporters for all the s**t I've posted about the Tigers this year. I finally got over 1990 now this.

BunjiBro

Rookie
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Liked - The first quarter.
Disliked - The ungracious, rude, drunk Tigers fan sitting behind me at the game. I get being passionate, and also the emotions that a game of footy can evoke (especially after a long premiership drought), but honestly our team had just as much right to be there as the Tigers. Sure, we were off our best (by a long way), and in no way deserved to win Saturday, but to be told (as a person who lives in Victoria) to f**ck off home, that Adelaide was proof Tasmanians could swim and that I was a f*cking c*nt for supporting my team (you know, by cheering after we kicked the first goal) was a bit much. My only point - be gracious. Things can turn very quickly.
Learnt - Richmond deserved to be premiers. Took their game to a new level which sadly we couldnt match after 1/4 time.

BTs Nana

All Australian
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, it's Hawthorn, actually. No 'e'. Not fancy, just plain. I'm not sure if Adelaide will do that, but you're right in one respect. The thing that Hawthorn learnt from their 2012 Grand Final was they needed to learn how to play them, how to prepare for them, and set about doing precisely that. This is what the Crows have to do now. No use complaining about playing at the MCG and all these other stupid things people carry on about, they have to sit down and ask "Is this the style of game that wins a flag"? "What changes can we make to personnel and game style in order to succeed"? You go two ways after a losing a Grand Final. You either take your bat and ball and go home, or you come back bigger and better for another shot next years. The choice is theirs.

Well said. I agree entirely although I do believe clubs should be lobbying the AFL too. But certainly the football dept need to be focussed on winning the flag.

Let me tell you a story about the 'e' in Hawthorn.

On the weekend I broke my Samsung and instead of upgrading I got the Huawei P9 that my work gave to me last year to promote. This phone is actually a lot better than many people think but one completely shitty feature is it's keyboard. It's awful and the only thing worse is it's predictive text.

Anyway, cool story bro moment I know but the moral of the story is you are right there is no e in Hawthorn. Unless you are Huawei.

hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Yeah, We're the worst away from home. Worst ever. Our last run away from home we won by 104 points, and hey, I'm sure there are lots of teams that lost WAY less than 5 away games for the year. But apart from being better than everyone else, Richmond are s**t, right?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Yeah, We're the worst away from home. Worst ever. Our last run away from home we won by 104 points, and hey, I'm sure there are lots of teams that lost WAY less than 5 away games for the year. But apart from being better than everyone else, Richmond are s**t, right?
Look at who you beat.

Lolport 5th
Freo 14th

Bottom 4 teams at etihad - lost to the top half of the bottom 8 at etihad

The only top 8 team you beat away was a team 8th beat twice away and knocked out of the finals away.

You beat noone of note away from home - mcg queens

hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
"Power stance"
Adelaide leveraged the power of their inferiority complex for a perceived mental benefit that turned out to be little more than a mega-wank that did nothing but embarrass themselves. It destroyed any possible remaining respect the rest of the league had for these pretenders, and consequently was my second favourite thing on Saturday. Loved it. Keep it up Crows, you're a riot.

hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Look at who you beat.

Lolport 5th
Freo 14th

Bottom 4 teams at etihad - lost to the top half of the bottom 8 at etihad

The only top 8 team you beat away was a team 8th beat twice away and knocked out of the finals away.

You beat noone of note away from home - mcg queens
Ok man, good story. We finished with a winning record away from home, but whatever floats your boat. Ultimately, to win premierships, it doesn't matter how you play at the rickety fringes of the league like Subi. It matters how you play on the big stage. Winners are grinners, you can please yourself.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Well said. I agree entirely although I do believe clubs should be lobbying the AFL too. But certainly the football dept need to be focussed on winning the flag.

Let me tell you a story about the 'e' in Hawthorn.

On the weekend I broke my Samsung and instead of upgrading I got the Huawei P9 that my work gave to me last year to promote. This phone is actually a lot better than many people think but one completely shitty feature is it's keyboard. It's awful and the only thing worse is it's predictive text.

Anyway, cool story bro moment I know but the moral of the story is you are right there is no e in Hawthorn. Unless you are Huawei.

I hear you on the keyboard part, I am forever correcting myself before sending texts. Actually there is a line of thought that the name Hawthorn may have derived from the plethora of hawthorne bushes in the area at the time, but that's just a theory. No drama, cheers.

The thing that is getting me annoyed is the simplicity of people who just have no idea about the logistics involved with this "home Grand Final" concept. They seem to think it's a simple matter of waiting until the Preliminary Finals have been played and then saying "Okay .... this Saturday the GF will be played in Adelaide". No administrative body could pull it off, there is just far too much work to do. Corporate sponsors, events, catering, etc, all these things are organised months in advance.

If people think the number 1 priority of the AFL is to appease the top team, they better think again. The AFL is no different to any other corporate structure in that their executive's priorities are to making as many $$$$$$$ for their share holders as possible. That's life as we know it, and no ideal of making the competition a fair and equitable playground for supporters is ever going to change that. Nor are they ever going to entertain playing the GF in a stadium which houses 40-50k less people, that's not going to happen.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Ok man, good story. We finished with a winning record away from home, but whatever floats your boat. Ultimately, to win premierships, it doesn't matter how you play at the rickety fringes of the league like Subi. It matters how you play on the big stage. Winners are grinners, you can please yourself.
Certainly sounds like you spend a lot of time pleasing yourself.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I hear you on the keyboard part, I am forever correcting myself before sending texts. Actually there is a line of thought that the name Hawthorn may have derived from the plethora of hawthorne bushes in the area at the time, but that's just a theory. No drama, cheers.

The thing that is getting me annoyed is the simplicity of people who just have no idea about the logistics involved with this "home Grand Final" concept. They seem to think it's a simple matter of waiting until the Preliminary Finals have been played and then saying "Okay .... this Saturday the GF will be played in Adelaide". No administrative body could pull it off, there is just far too much work to do. Corporate sponsors, events, catering, etc, all these things are organised months in advance.

If people think the number 1 priority of the AFL is to appease the top team, they better think again. The AFL is no different to any other corporate structure in that their executive's priorities are to making as many $$$$$$$ for their share holders as possible. That's life as we know it, and no ideal of making the competition a fair and equitable playground for supporters is ever going to change that. Nor are they ever going to entertain playing the GF in a stadium which houses 40-50k less people, that's not going to happen.

Noone with half a brain thinks a granny can be moved on a whim.

Both adelaide and perth stadia are designed to be able to be increased to 80k

In 2007 the vfl signed a 30 year deal with the mcg.

30 fkkkn years.

Three zero.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked:

The Killers were amazing.

Also a fan of our stance. Got people talking about it and it's been hilarious reading comments of people telling us it's why we lost as if it really has an impact on a game.

Our boys now have GF experience.

Learnt:

Adelaide still have a small club mentality. Thought we had moved past it but clearly not. We definitely prefer underdog status.

To win a Grand Final you need everything to go right. Ladder positions are vital. Venues are vital. If Richmond go to AO in the QF or if Geelong are allowed to play their QF at SS, Richmond don't win the flag. I'm not saying Adelaide do, but I reckon Richmond don't make the granny. Key injuries to Adelaide and a gift MRP decision for Richmond and home ground advantage really helps. then most importantly they backed it all up on the day. I'm not saying this takes away from what Richmond achieved, my point is everything has to go right and for Richmond it did and for Adelaide it didn't.

The game has become incredibly professional. I don't think there is any doubt that Adelaide played the best attacking brand of footy this year. The numbers don't lie. But nowadays game plans are able to be so complex that teams can now shut down footy. They can make it ugly and get a result. Richmond obviously came up with a game plan that suited them and was able to stifle the best attacking side in the comp (and the other finalists). They deserve their win. But I doubt you'll find any neutral calling their brand beautiful. I wonder if 20 years ago Adelaide would have won this matchup if we were 'just playing footy'

The old adage about offense selling tickets but defence winning championships holds true.

This will no doubt be taken as a whinge but it's actually just an observation - it's up to teams to beat that.

Hated:

Our insipid effort when it mattered most.

We don't have a plan B still and that really hurts. It cannot be tolerated. There were people calling for Adelaide to change their style of play pre-game which I didn't agree with. Why change what isn't broken? But we had to be prepared for if Richmond got the game on their terms. But to wAtch Richmond do the same thing twice to Geelong and GWS and not have any defined way to counter it is unforgivable.

Whatever happened at HT wasn't good enough. Five minutes into the third quarter we knew the game was up.

Hated the first half umpiring. Blah blah biased sure but there were key decisions that they blatantly missed and got wrong. It robbed our chance of building momentum.

Hated BF doing it's classic knee,-jerk reactions to match results. All of a sudden the losing premier is overrated, nowhere near it and the shittest finalist ever. All of a sudden the winning team has been the best team all year and the only decent team in the comp. It's ******* stupid. There were 5 genuine flag chances this year. Part of this hatred is fueled by the fact I'm in the minority who believes finals are a gimmicky blight on the game. It doesn't test the best team in the comp it tests the best team in a month. There are arguments for and against but that's for another time.

Bonus: Adelaide 2017 is Hawthorne 2012 - on the cusp of a three-peat.
Finals a gimmicky blight on the game? Lol
Weren't you blokes going to wipe the floor with us?
You were a big mouth all pregame, I hope you enjoyed Saturday, I know I did:)

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked - The first quarter.
Disliked - The ungracious, rude, drunk Tigers fan sitting behind me at the game. I get being passionate, and also the emotions that a game of footy can evoke (especially after a long premiership drought), but honestly our team had just as much right to be there as the Tigers. Sure, we were off our best (by a long way), and in no way deserved to win Saturday, but to be told (as a person who lives in Victoria) to f**ck off home, that Adelaide was proof Tasmanians could swim and that I was a f*cking c*nt for supporting my team (you know, by cheering after we kicked the first goal) was a bit much. My only point - be gracious. Things can turn very quickly.
Learnt - Richmond deserved to be premiers. Took their game to a new level which sadly we couldnt match after 1/4 time.
Let me apologize on behalf of the rest of our supporter base that does generally not act like that, no one deserves that sort of s**t at the footy. I spoke to a few crows fans that night and found everyone to be really gracious with each other. You were just unlucky I guess.

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Orly

Ok lets look at your record in 2017 away from your safe space - the mcg :

The best you managed away from the mcg was port - 5th - who were beaten twice by the eagles at adelaide - and 14th - freo
You're moving the goalposts.
I posted that we have one of the best records interstate and you counter by taking about games at Etihad and Skilled. I've bolded the actua; interstate games and note, we lost only two: the Adelaide game and to GWS at Skilled by 3 points. I can also add that (I think it was 2015) we had a better win loss ratio interstate than in Victoria.

BunjiBro

Rookie
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is just unfortunate. Majority of Tigers supporters I know are great, long suffering, loyal fans that love their club and deserved to revel in the win.

Fabes

All Australian
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Liked: Tigers winning the Premiership. Martin, Houli, Graham ...all of them.

Richo and Gale showing Raw emotion, you could see just what this premiership meant to the the whole Richmond community.

Hardwick. Deserves every single accolade and praise. Despite tremendous pressure and calls for his sacking, he said this was the best team he had ever seen and still people scoffed at him. Vindicated. Brilliant.

Learnt: Tex Walker is not a captain

Hated: Adelaide. You're in a grand final guys!! Fight, scrap, show some bloody mongrel!! Was a disgraceful effort. However all credit to Richmond for pressuring them into possibly their worst game of the year.

Well done Tigers!!

Back