Game Day 2017 AFL Grand Final

Who will you be barracking for on Grand Final day?

• Adelaide

Votes: 77 68.8%
  • Punt Rd Ferals

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Won't be watching

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For all of his brilliance he does struggle on the big stage.
I think Eddie was just starved of opportunities, how often was the ball brought to ground in the Adelaide forward line after quarter time? He would have got frost bite if it was a cold day. They should have put him in the midfield to get a few touches.

Hats off to Nick Vlastuin, he made a couple of shocking clangers in the first quarter and I thought this game is going to get ugly for Richmond, but he put it behind him and got better and better as the game went on. Ended as one of their very best players.

I went to the game. Was actually pretty ambivalent about who won, given neither had won it for a while and I thought they were the two best teams this year. Hoped for a better game, but the Tigs did not let the Cows get anything going. Tigers' finals series was just unbelievable. They buzz-sawed through the rest of the top 4. Impressive stuff, well-deserved win.

Just like the prelim crowd vs GWS was a one-off (never again can you get such a large, lop-sided crowd), never again will you see the pandemonium all around Richmond and the G. Big fan base, success starved, home ground right next door... good stuff. Good for footy! No idea what the Tigers will do from here, given their identity has been the downtrodden also-rans for so long! They won't know what to do with themselves! They're the greyhound that catches the rabbit.

It was difficult to be not swept up in the emotion that was Richmond's grand final win Saturday, the amount of turmoil, bad decisions and the club being almost on the brink of death almost going the way of Fitzroy all seemed to go away once Richmond iced it in the 4th quarter.

The celebrations on Swan Street and Punt Road just showed how long the Tigers fans have been waiting for the moment they'd finally taste success, this and the Bulldogs winning last year really makes me feel optimistic for the future of Carlton, and with the rebuilding phase in full swing it makes me very excited for the years to come.

I'm 23 so never seen this club win the big one but gee it'll mean the world to see this club back on top again like it was back in my old mans days when they were winning flags left right and center. Here's hoping lads :p

The Tigs have played very consistent footy throughout the year and shouldn't be compared to the Bulldogs win as the Dogs made the 8 and then played a month of good football to win the GF. The tigs have probably been the most consistent side all year, they finished 2 points below the top two and played one poor game against St Kilda. We struggled to get close to them when we played them, whereas we troubled Adelaide, beat GWS and Geelong are just flat track bullies.
The talk of a tall v short forward line and talent v workhorses accounts for nothing if you don't bring on field pressure to the big stage. Adelaide brought nothing, they were out tackled, out contested, out classed and no one wanted to do the hard yards to get them back into the game. Their so called talented forward line was as soft as butter in the Simpson desert.
AND Josh Jenkins has a big mouth, your premiership medallion is as nice as Danger's, you d***

Jenkins played the game in his head and lost during the anthem

Was borderline hyperventilating
Well, he's got another few more years to keep the Crows at a disadvantage.. Why the hell would he run his mouth during the finals series, when he is arguably the shittest player in the AFL. Pathetic footballer.

NOW, I don't want to blame the umpires, because Crows were woeful after quarter time, but in that second quarter, all the 50/50 decisions by the umpires went the Tigers' way. Eddie had his arm pulled off and got nothing, Dusty kept pushing players in the face and Lynch got hit after he marked, which should have been a 50 metre penalty. It was obvious what was happening, and nothing can be done to stop it. How can you challenge the V.. AFL on this? You can't.
You don't put 3 Victorian umpires in the Grand Final involving one Victorian team.

Carlton better get the same treatment as Bulldogs and Richmond, otherwise I'm rioting. Or are salary cap breaches enough to warrant us getting the rough end of the stick?

Well, he's got another few more years to keep the Crows at a disadvantage.. Why the hell would he run his mouth during the finals series, when he is arguably the shittest player in the AFL. Pathetic footballer.

NOW, I don't want to blame the umpires, because Crows were woeful after quarter time, but in that second quarter, all the 50/50 decisions by the umpires went the Tigers' way. Eddie had his arm pulled off and got nothing, Dusty kept pushing players in the face and Lynch got hit after he marked, which should have been a 50 metre penalty. It was obvious what was happening, and nothing can be done to stop it. How can you challenge the V.. AFL on this? You can't.
You don't put 3 Victorian umpires in the Grand Final involving one Victorian team.

Carlton better get the same treatment as Bulldogs and Richmond, otherwise I'm rioting. Or are salary cap breaches enough to warrant us getting the rough end of the stick?

If you're good enough, you will still find a way to win. Agree, there were some very ordinary calls made, but Adelaide didn't fire a shot in the second half.
2013 prelim against the Tiges, they got some soft 50m penalties which resulted in goals and we were down at half time, the effort and pressure we put in after half time was the difference, not the umpires.

Can I borrow some tin foil?

No conspiracy. I think the Tiges probably got the best of the umpiring, but it didn't make a difference. They killed them.

Josh Jenkins looked like he was in tears when Rance was at his shoulder. He was thinking "but... but... how will I get the ball? How will I get my shots at goal?"

Called it a month ago.

My tip - Tigers lose tonight, they go out in straight sets. Tigers win tonight....they go on and win the flag. :eek:

A part of me would seriously love to see the Tigers go all the way. But an equally large part of me would love to see them go out in straight sets.

this was certainly a sliding door moment, was a terrible Advantage call for Adelaide. I certainly think Richmond was favoured by the umpiring but instead of working even harder, the Crows took their bat and ball and went home.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...chmond-win-over-adelaide-20170930-gyru7n.html

FIRST QUARTER, 16 min: Richmond break through

Richmond kicked their first through Josh Caddy. It was much needed and a little fortuitous after Adelaide choose to take the advantage on the wing. The umpire arguably shouldn't have paid it and brought the free kick back to Taylor Walker instead. Had Tex got the ball, Adelaide looked on for a goal and the score would have been 19-3. Instead, the ball went Richmond's way and Caddy scored to make it 13-9. Adelaide are known for their fast starts and they had controlled most of the play in the game's early stages. This major was important, especially after Jack Riewoldt missed a couple of gettable shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're good enough, you will still find a way to win. Agree, there were some very ordinary calls made, but Adelaide didn't fire a shot in the second half.
2013 prelim against the Tiges, they got some soft 50m penalties which resulted in goals and we were down at half time, the effort and pressure we put in after half time was the difference, not the umpires.
No doubt, and as I said, Adelaide stopped after the first quarter so it was their own fault. They should have willed themselves on.
Ah yes! I remember that now!! You're right, we changed it up ourselves. Made sure those 'gimme's couldn't affect us.
Can I borrow some tin foil?
I don't have any, but I hear Sydney are still providing some, so try them :)

Blues need to continue getting our recruitment picks and trade decisions right!! If we're honest about the last 5-7 seasons we've traded players we probably shouldn't have (Betts, Jacobs for example). What does it say about the Carlton club culture that they do so well in their new clubs? Trading Gibbs??? Not sure how this would work out.

The problem with Adelaide is that they're a very good ordinary football team. They don't have the star power to turn their game up another notch. Richmond had guys who are on that level like Cotchin and Martin. The best Adelaide players are on about the same level as Richmond's second tier players. They proved it on the weekend. Personally, as good as Bryce is, I don't think he changes that one iota.
I don't see that at all.

Imagine a Bryce not playing a lone hand, as he's had to do for a while now. Imagine him in a midfield where he gets the ball fed to him by the Crouch bros and Sloane, where he can rest forward if he wants. Imagine him being able to find the level he found earlier this year more often, due to not carrying the side every single week; what was it, four goals, forty possessions, ten tackles?

Now, imagine him doing it in a final.

The biggest fallacy about Bryce is that he's never done it in a final. Bullshit. People remember Judd against Richmond in 2013, but forget that it was Bryce too driving that comeback, playing inside and handing the ball out just as Juddy did. He almost was enough alone, in 2011, in Perth, as injured as we were. The good news? He's an even better player now than he was then.

Now, imagine Bryce hanging round for a few years, and saving these matches for when we make the finals.

I'm neither here nor there about trading him; I recognise the value in doing so, whilst he commands potentially more currency. But he'd radically improve that Adelaide side, and if they don't see it that isn't our fault.

I don't see that at all.

Imagine a Bryce not playing a lone hand, as he's had to do for a while now. Imagine him in a midfield where he gets the ball fed to him by the Crouch bros and Sloane, where he can rest forward if he wants. Imagine him being able to find the level he found earlier this year more often, due to not carrying the side every single week; what was it, four goals, forty possessions, ten tackles?

Now, imagine him doing it in a final.

The biggest fallacy about Bryce is that he's never done it in a final. Bullshit. People remember Judd against Richmond in 2013, but forget that it was Bryce too driving that comeback, playing inside and handing the ball out just as Juddy did. He almost was enough alone, in 2011, in Perth, as injured as we were. The good news? He's an even better player now than he was then.

Now, imagine Bryce hanging round for a few years, and saving these matches for when we make the finals.

I'm neither here nor there about trading him; I recognise the value in doing so, whilst he commands potentially more currency. But he'd radically improve that Adelaide side, and if they don't see it that isn't our fault.
Great points!!.....will we ever get to see him perform in a Blues final?

For the supporters on here who were old enough to have celebrated 1995 and other flags, what were the scenes like in Carlton? Anything like last nights?

Seeing footage of Richmond last night made me pretty envious. I'm assuming Richmond celebrations were so big because of the close ties the club still has to the suburb and establishments in the area.

1995 was nothing like Swan St at Tigerland on Sat night.

The main highlight in '95 was Carlton supporters driving down Lygon St in their vehicles with blues scarfs hanging out and tooting their horns.

1995 was nothing like Swan St at Tigerland on Sat night.

The main highlight in '95 was Carlton supporters driving down Lygon St in their vehicles with blues scarfs hanging out and tooting their horns.
The big celebration was always at Princes Park. The Social Club was opened to everyone. The playing area would be packed with people. The place would be rocking waiting for the players to arrive. In '72 Percy Jones hung over the front of the Social Club with the Premiership Cup and let us touch it. '72 still my happiest memory. We finally best those *ers from Punt Rd. Smug pricks like Sheedy and Bartlett were comatose with shock.

Might be a touch old fashioned but couldn't bring my self to cheer for the Tigers. Have to say the Crows performance had all the hallmarks of our loss in 1993 when we just didn't fire a shot - although they were in the game on the scoreboard for a lot longer than us. Would be a long off-season to have to sit through as a Crows fan.

Back