Poll - Who would you rate as the weakest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the weakest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 64 4.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Essendon 1993

Votes: 73 4.7%
  • Carlton 1995

Votes: 16 1.0%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Adelaide 97-98

Votes: 126 8.2%
  • Essendon 2000

Votes: 34 2.2%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Port 2004

Votes: 40 2.6%
  • Sydney 2005

Votes: 35 2.3%
  • West Coast 2006

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

Votes: 28 1.8%
  • Collingwood 2010

Votes: 26 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 25 1.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 494 32.1%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 509 33.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper Richmond's bottom 6 (and arguably the entire team) is probably the worst but games aren't won on paper and they showed that when played in their system they work extremely well.

Richmond were the best team during Sep and 2017 no doubt but I think the evenness of the competition kind of diminishes their nu 1 tag. It's so even I would not be surprised if the Tigers drop out of the 8 next year and the Demons win it! Then the Hawks win it the year after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon 1993.
Only won 13 Home & Away games - only 3 more than the side who finished 10th that year. It was a very lacklustre and even year.
Lo & behold the flogs were also found to have breached the Salary Cap during that year and copped fines and draft bans.....but got to keep the flag!!! (Unlike Melbourne Storm, obviously the NRL has more balls than the AFL).
Worst team, cheating club.
This flag should not even count.

Essendon 1993.
Only won 13 Home & Away games - only 3 more than the side who finished 10th that year. It was a very lacklustre and even year.
Lo & behold the flogs were also found to have breached the Salary Cap during that year and copped fines and draft bans.....but got to keep the flag!!! (Unlike Melbourne Storm, obviously the NRL has more balls than the AFL).
Worst team, cheating club.
This flag should not even count.

Better side than Collingwood in 1990!

depends how you look at it...

tigers this year dismantled the rest of the top 4, despite the weight of recent history ('13-'15 capitulations) and further back (didnt they win more finals this year than they have between '83-'16?). they seem to be one of the closest teams i can recall watching, in terms of their admiration and love for each other. watching them hold up the song until ivan maric was in the circle was great.

id say they were extremely 'strong', personally.

the bulldogs last year - 3 away finals (perth, 3 times reigning premier, and arguably the most talent laden side in the comp), and then a GF against a great sydney team... all after finishing 7th. apparently it was all the bye, and 7th was where teams wanted to finish from here on out. and then this year happened. bad injury list, and some pretty sickening injuries both physically and emotionally.

id say they were also very 'strong'.

essendon '00 - great team, but clearly the best in it (maybe the best in history) and didnt have all that much standing in their way. they were brilliant, but in some ways their 'strength' wasnt really tested.

who is the weakest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that.

who is the strongest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that, too.

all premiers display strength, and all display weakness.

what i think is weak is denigrating achievements - whether expected (essendon '00) or remarkable (dogs '16, tigers '17) - out of jealousy and a need to belittle other teams for, it usually seems on BF, no other reason than it wasnt your team you got to watch succeeding.

i loved every second of richmonds success, including their dismantling of my own side in the QF. we werent up to it, they were, and cotchin has been something else these finals. his goal in the last quarter of the QF was my favourite moment of the finals.

Adelaide 1998- finished 5th, lost the first final and got a second chance..

Only won because the old finals series use to be messed up
I might be a bit salty (despite only being 1 and thus having not watched that game but more premierships) over this but I was reading about this the other day. How the * did they make it past week 1? Lost the first final from 5th and still went through. Makes no sense

Kerley still having trouble biting the pillow I see...

Back