List Mgmt. Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, Jenkins looks like Tarzan and can play a bit like Jane but you have to look at the list to see who else could come in and do the role he does and that is FF and chop out in the ruck. O'brien can ruck, but he is a poor kick and not as mobile. Dear can compete, but from what I have seen he lacks consistency. I have not seen enough of Himmelberg to comment. The only other option would have been to have dropped Jenkins and played Otten in his role as Otten 'can' offer some assistance to Jacobs in ruck, but to be fair Otten has lost a yard of pace now and I don't know if he would do a better job
Otten is a smidge over 190cm and can't jump yet we allowed him to be 2R.

Given that players in the 22 who could do it may include Hartigan, Keath, McGovern, Greenwood...give me an additional high pressure running player over a soft tall that plays small any day of the week.

Enough is enough, how do we get rid of him?

Man mountain who plays like an under 12 netballer and by that, he should be playing a non-contact sport.

I'm sick of his work in the media, how did he get in such a position where we have to listen to his crap?

Next year we need to add more speed to our forward line and physicality. He needs to go.

The problem isn't with Jenkins per se, it's with how the club rated Jenkins and the position we've now put ourselves in with him.

We all know what Jenkins offers. He's a backup ruckman and an ok forward with good athleticism. He's valuable not by virtue of his talent, but because of the fact he can play that modern ruck/forward role which gives the team great flexibility. We've known what he is for a while, it hasn't changed. Why are we surprised?

I've said it possibly a hundred times on this board, up to, during, and after that ridiculous contract, that five years to a 27/28 year old, who had never to that point performed in finals (and still hasn't), never been an AA, never even won a b&f, was clinically insane. He deserved three years at the very most, and if he wanted more, we should've let him walk.

We can riff on Josh all we like. But what we should really be questioning is the judgement of our football department thinking that contract was ok.

Last edited:

I don't see why we need a 2nd ruckman.

Just do what Richmond do and play without one for a bit. Get a midfielder to just jump into the opposing ruckman and then be an extra around the contest.

The problem isn't with Jenkins per se, it's with how the club rated Jenkins and the position we've now put ourselves in with him.

We all know what Jenkins offers. He's a backup ruckman and an ok forward with good athleticism. He's valuable not by virtue of his talent, but because of the fact he can play that modern ruck/forward role which gives the team great flexibility. We've known what he is for a while, it hasn't changed. Why are we surprised?

I've said it possibly a hundred times on this board, up to, during, and after that ridiculous contract, that five years to a 27/28 year old, who had never to that point performed in finals (and still hasn't), never been an AA, never even won a b&f, was clinically insane. He deserved three years at the very most, and if he wanted more, we should've let him walk.

We can riff on Josh all we like. But what we should really be questioning is the judgement of our football department thinking that contract was ok.

And yet so many people here were heaping s**t on those who were unhappy with the contract when it was signed.

The overwhelming opinion on this board was that the Jenkins signing was a big win for us.

I think Jenkins is a selfish player,he very rarely handballs to someone when he is in the "50 circle" and i have noticed quite often he has caught a ball that would have gone through for a goal so he could add another to his tally.........get rid of him and get someone who is a lot quicker than him.

I don't see why we need a 2nd ruckman.

Just do what Richmond do and play without one for a bit. Get a midfielder to just jump into the opposing ruckman and then be an extra around the contest.

My thoughts exactly.

If JJ is going to be a non entity up forward physically then drop him for a runner as his ruck work is useless anyway. Greenwood/Hartigan can provide a chop out for Sauce when he needs a rest.

I reckon Harto could do the job, he's big, strong and aggressive.
Richmond are effective with this tactic because they don't drag a key position player away to do it. By utilising a midfielder they are gaining an advantage and losing nothing in offence or defence.

Why we were unable to take advantage of this with Sam Jacobs against Grigg I will never know. Also why we didn't have a specific play set up for this I will never know considering Richmond do this all the time.

Richmond are effective with this tactic because they don't drag a key position player away to do it. By utilising a midfielder they are gaining an advantage and losing nothing in offence or defence.

Why we were unable to take advantage of this with Sam Jacobs against Grigg I will never know. Also why we didn't have a specific play set up for this I will never know considering Richmond do this all the time.
If we are playing a smaller side like a Richmond I think Hartigan is the perfect option.

He moves considerably better than most KPPs too

If we are playing a smaller side like a Richmond I think Hartigan is the perfect option.

He moves considerably better than most KPPs too
But Richmond have shown that you don't even need a big guy in these situations.

The advantage of having that extra mildfielder needs to be looked at more carefully I reckon. Wouldn't you rather someone line Greenwood took these duties on and then just played as the extra midfielder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The advantage of having that extra mildfielder needs to be looked at more carefully I reckon. Wouldn't you rather someone line Greenwood took these duties on and then just played as the extra midfielder?
Greenwood is absolutely the perfect player for this relief work and change up.

Decent height, huge leap, massive wingspan, contested beast once the ball hits the ground.

Be quite exciting to see Greenwood, Sloane, MC, BC in the square at once!

It won't work forever, as the Dogs showed but it does need to be looked at. Greenwood is the only mid we have who is big enough not to be hurt

Unfortunately Sauce just taps it down by his feet - he needed a Shaun Rehn-like licence to thump it forward, with CC and Eddie at the ready. Anything to break up the standard set plays that Richmond had worked out very early! That was the most disappointing thing to my mind, no obvious attempts by anyone to do anything different, either in the coaching box, or on field.

Greenwood is absolutely the perfect player for this relief work and change up.

Decent height, huge leap, massive wingspan, contested beast once the ball hits the ground.

Be quite exciting to see Greenwood, Sloane, MC, BC in the square at once!
I think Richmond are onto something here and that extra midfielder makes a massive difference.

We could do something similar and take it to the next level.

I think Richmond are onto something here and that extra midfielder makes a massive difference.

We could do something similar and take it to the next level.
If there's a game the tactic is working it's even more reason not to have Jenkins...we can give Sauce some short spurts up forward so others can rest on the bench (most games Sauce will do his usual high workload)

It won't work forever, as the Dogs showed but it does need to be looked at. Greenwood is the only mid we have who is big enough not to be hurt
If I was Greenwood id look to do something completely different as well, like maybe try and tap the ball as it's going up ala basketball style. What's stopping him from standing really close to the bounce and effectively smoother the umpires bounce and grab possession?

Someone else said it earlier in the thread. He's way too heavy and trying to play a game that doesn't suit him. They said he needs to lose 5kgs, I reckon its more like 7-8 kgs. Needs to get away from opponents and run, not compete body on body. Oh, and he cant ruck. He's completely useless as a ruckman.

That would have been me, been harping on for years about it and don't worry, I think he's 10kgs overweight for his style of play, I just don't think much more than 5kg of weight loss over a preseason is too healthy. He's a natural power athlete, he doesn't need to be 108kg to be stronger/more powerful than most guys his size, especially those that could go with him athletically if he were 10kg lighter. At present he's like Hawkins/Patton, just need someone who can match him for strength and size and you've beaten Jenkins.

Richmond have shown you don't necessarily need a massive pack crashing beast in your forward line for success. We're likely stuck with Jenkins, let's actually try to make the most of him.

JJ to sit in the two's, Tex to FF, Gov to CHF, another couple of quick mid-sized forwards, Keath to replace Lever down back, and chop out in the ruck if needed, and bit of extra outside pace....
A lot depends on Tex and whether his terrible performances are injury related or just decline with age given his injury history.

If he regains mobility I'd have Tex leading up. If not he becomes an oversized opportunist FP.

Either way GOV needs to become our main target inside 50...time to give him the responsibility, he's the only one who attacks the contest. The few times he's been the main man he has looked the part.

How do we get Jenkins to agree to go?

Tell him we are banning him from all media. Then we line him up a gig on Fox Footy through Roo to be a regular on AFL 360.

He wouldn't be able to pack his bags quick enough.

But in all seriousness, I hope he feels like an absolute tool for his Danger comments and he uses 2018 for redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back