2017 Trade Hypotheticals (opposition supporters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I am aware of all that. This trade scenario has been discussed, a lot, on the main draft, trade and free agency board. And in this thread and/or the draft thread at least twice before.

Personally I don't believe Ballenden will be bid on before pick 18. And if he is, I'd be seriously tempted to not match the bid.

Lions should trade 18 to GWS for 23 &25, use 23 for Cameron and leave 25 for Ballendon. Therefore, get both for 18.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
I'd argue Camerons peformance definitely pushed his currency up and he wasn't bad in the gf. But his currency was a pick in the 20s. Would be pick 18 now I'd think.
Well if Redden goes for 17 and Hanley for 12 (without including last years downgrade of 3 picks) then I'd take 18 for a contracted Cameron in a heartbeat

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well if Redden goes for 17 and Hanley for 12 (without including last years downgrade of 3 picks) then I'd take 18 for a contracted Cameron in a heartbeat

Just because they went for that doesn't mean it was a good trade.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would overlook him if it cost us top 20 points. I would overlook him if we keep schache, cannot have Ballandean and Schache on our list. Too much of a risk!
It's too much of a risk if we let him go and lose a potential gun key position player from QLD, because we rate him as a early second round pick. He has the versatility to play down back, ruck and up forward. A Iot to work with there.

Sure he didn't dominate under 18 championships this year, but if he tests well and has the right attitude/work ethic, I would bid pick 18 on a highly rated key position player from our Academy.

Last edited:

mish33

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I posted this in the Rocky thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

Handshake agreement for Rocky to Carlton for pick 2 compo then trade pick 1 for 4 and 17 (from Adelaide for Gibbs)

Leaves us 2, 4, 13, 17 and 19 after losing Rocky. Then try and package two of those teens picks for another top 10.

Carlton get replacement for Gibbs plus an upgrade to pick 1, Adelaide get Gibbs in their premiership window for unders.

I posted this in the Rocky thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

Handshake agreement for Rocky to Carlton for pick 2 compo then trade pick 1 for 4 and 17 (from Adelaide for Gibbs)

Leaves us 2, 4, 13, 17 and 19 after losing Rocky. Then try and package two of those teens picks for another top 10.

Carlton get replacement for Gibbs plus an upgrade to pick 1, Adelaide get Gibbs in their premiership window for unders.
Wouldn't Carlton be better off just signing Rocky as a free agent (from their perspective, at a price lower than band 1 compo) and doing a separate trade for Gibbs? Not sure they have a burning desire for pick 1 if the top few players are quite even.

A complicating factor in any of these "handshake deals" for band 1 compo is that the club still has to fork over money potentially above market rate for a player. There is the salary cap implications of that but also, clubs are businesses and good businesses don't like to pay more to employees for the sake of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do you think Fagan, Swann, Noble and the big Conole are sitting around a table chuckling saying if only they (us) knew what was going to happen over the next 2 yrs. Noble mentioned 2 yrs in this mornings interview so I wonder who is out of contract next year?

Do you think Fagan, Swann, Noble and the big Conole are sitting around a table chuckling saying if only they (us) knew what was going to happen over the next 2 yrs. Noble mentioned 2 yrs in this mornings interview so I wonder who is out of contract next year?
They reckon the biggest movement this year is actually going to be from contracted players. Contracts are continually becoming less meaningful.
So it honestly could be anyone. They have made particular mention to luring Qld talent back home though Or even blokes with links to Qld. Not sure how many of them are around though.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They reckon the biggest movement this year is actually going to be from contracted players. Contracts are continually becoming less meaningful.
So it honestly could be anyone. They have made particular mention to luring Qld talent back home though Or even blokes with links to Qld. Not sure how many of them are around though.
Well who can think of a qld player at another club we would entertain besides Tippett lol?

Clubbeta

Senior List
Oct 15, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well who can think of a qld player at another club we would entertain besides Tippett lol?

Collingwood have a few that thier fans try to offload to us each year. If you look over most lists have 2-3 qlders.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh Geez! I certainly hope we dont go anywhere near Tippett! Or Armitage or Thomas or the other one from Collingwood whos name escapes me right now.
..........what about that kid who did really well playing for maybe redland with the long hair? We sacked him from the academy. The Wagners.........Watson......

Lachie Weller is one that I wouldnt mind trying to lure back.
Taken at pick 13 in the 2014 draft, 21 yrs old, got some good skills and has links to Qld, didn't come from here originally though.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lachie Weller is one that I wouldnt mind trying to lure back.
Taken at pick 13 in the 2014 draft, 21 yrs old, got some good skills and has links to Qld, didn't come from here originally though.
Probably has a harem at the St.Kilda Social Club.... dont like ur chances there......same with the one in Freeo which ever is which.

..........what about that kid who did really well playing for maybe redland with the long hair? We sacked him from the academy. The Wagners.........Watson......
Josh Wagner - currently playing for Melbourne. Plays more of a half back role, but I dont mind him.
Corey Wagner - North Melbourne, jury still out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back