Opinion Likely Best 22 2018 (revisited)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidebysidey

Senior List
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ahh Teddy, loved watching him playing on Baldock and Jezza.
I only saw the end, 1970 was my first year. You hold your breath as a Pie supporter when the decade turns 70 disaster 80 catastrophe 90 ecstasy 2010 unbridled joy. It's a rollercoaster.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I only saw the end, 1970 was my first year. You hold your breath as a Pie supporter when the decade turns 70 disaster 80 catastrophe 90 ecstasy 2010 unbridled joy. It's a rollercoaster.

My first GF (first one I attended) was '58 so I was spoilt to see the best one ever as my very first. Yep I agree following any AFL team has its high points and low points.

So from your time watching...who was our best ever half back?

Sidebysidey

Senior List
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
My first GF (first one I attended) was '58 so I was spoilt to see the best one ever as my very first. Yep I agree following any AFL team has its high points and low points.

So from your time watching...who was our best ever half back?
Ireland

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Here's my hardest backline

Magro Cooper Worthington
Manassa Kelly Crosisca

that'll give you nightmares.

All time:

Shaw McCormack Morwood
Ireland Picken Crosisca

Mine would be:

Hardest:
Hyde, Potter, Banks
Hill, Kelly, Crosisca

All time:
Shaw, Tarrant, Maxwell
Clement, Kelly, Crosisca

But the one I'd love to watch:
Davis, Tarrant, Banks
Clement, Reid, Shaw

Sidebysidey

Senior List
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mine would be:

Hardest:
Hyde, Potter, Banks
Hill, Kelly, Crosisca

All time:
Shaw, Tarrant, Maxwell
Clement, Kelly, Crosisca

But the one I'd love to watch:
Davis, Tarrant, Banks
Clement, Reid, Shaw

Yes there has to be a balance between the best side and the side you love, I have trouble getting Barham and Wearmouth into my all time best teams because of Richardson Brown Tuddy Bucks Millane Daics Greening. But if I'm honest, sans Daics no other players have brought me such joy and excitement, when those two took off the army erupted, and it was electric.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yes there has to be a balance between the best side and the side you love, I have trouble getting Barham and Wearmouth into my all time best teams because of Richardson Brown Tuddy Bucks Millane Daics Greening. But if I'm honest, sans Daics no other players have brought me such joy and excitement, when those two took off the army erupted, and it was electric.

You should have seen the crowd when Thorald Merrett went on a run....or Bobby Rose!

Sidebysidey

Senior List
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyway I've been told I'm not getting Mullett so I'm revising

FB: Langdon Dunn McClarty
HB: Maynard Howe Saad
CL: Hoskin Treloar De Goey
HF: Sidebottom Moore Smith
FF: Higgins Schache Elliott

FOLL: Grundy Pendlebury Adams

INT: Wells Crisp Phillips Reid/Cox

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rance almost got delisted because he was struggling. After his first 3 years he had managed 25 games Lever has played 56. He is so far ahead of Rance at the same age

Because Rance was playing on the games best forwards and Lever plays on the weakest forward allowing him to play an easier role. Not sure how you missed that point.

BTW he didn't almost get delisted, he almost walked away from the game and Richmpond had to convince him not too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because Rance was playing on the games best forwards and Lever plays on the weakest forward allowing him to play an easier role. Not sure how you missed that point.

BTW he didn't almost get delisted, he almost walked away from the game and Richmpond had to convince him not too.
No Rance was an established player when he almost walked away. Early on he struggled and was almost cut, you are also a revisionist when it comes to Rance. When he came in he was not thrown onto the best forward straight away. I never said Rance hasn't become a fine defender and for Lever to match that will be a fair ask but early doors there is no competition

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
No Rance was an established player when he almost walked away. Early on he struggled and was almost cut, you are also a revisionist when it comes to Rance. When he came in he was not thrown onto the best forward straight away. I never said Rance hasn't become a fine defender and for Lever to match that will be a fair ask but early doors there is no competition

Yes he was Cloke and others regularly took him to the cleaners. The revisionist is you trying to fit him into your "Lever is new Rance".

Rance didn't get to play on the 4th or 5th best fwd like Lever does often throughout the season, wasn't till late in the year that Lever was given greater responsibility

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes he was Cloke and others regularly took him to the cleaners. The revisionist is you trying to fit him into your "Lever is new Rance".

Rance didn't get to play on the 4th or 5th best fwd like Lever does often throughout the season, wasn't till late in the year that Lever was given greater responsibility
Yeah I am so sorry you must be right of course. Don't let the fact that in his first 3 seasons he only managed 25 games playing behind Luke McGuane and Kelvin Moore who took the two main forwards and in the same period played 54 games and 60 games out of a possible 66. Rance played on form and when he could get a game. But as you would put it in the first 3 years of his career he was playing on the best forward week in week out. To the same point in his career Lever has managed 56 games out of a possible 73. To try and say that the start to Levers career is not better is just plain wrong. How good Lever ends up getting well who knows

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I am so sorry you must be right of course. Don't let the fact that in his first 3 seasons he only managed 25 games playing behind Luke McGuane and Kelvin Moore who took the two main forwards and in the same period played 54 games and 60 games out of a possible 66. Rance played on form and when he could get a game. But as you would put it in the first 3 years of his career he was playing on the best forward week in week out. To the same point in his career Lever has managed 56 games out of a possible 73. To try and say that the start to Levers career is not better is just plain wrong. How good Lever ends up getting well who knows

No I said he played as a KPD and played often on the best forwards when he got opportunities, I didn't say he played week to week or how many games per season. I also said he got some spankings playing on said talls like Cloke.

Lever has had a good start in the ROLE he is in, which is not the SAME role Rance had to play. That was the point. Not who is better at the same age but rather one had a harder job then the other, not once did I state Rance had a better start only that he actually had to play on decent forwards early days.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
No I said he played as a KPD and played often on the best forwards when he got opportunities, I didn't say he played week to week or how many games per season. I also said he got some spankings playing on said talls like Cloke.

Lever has had a good start in the ROLE he is in, which is not the SAME role Rance had to play. That was the point. Not who is better at the same age but rather one had a harder job then the other, not once did I state Rance had a better start only that he actually had to play on decent forwards early days.
How is Rance playing as the third tall any different to Lever? Also that game Cloke belted him was in 2013. Races 6th year in the system, that really shows how long it took before he did anything of note

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is Rance playing as the third tall any different to Lever? Also that game Cloke belted him was in 2013. Races 6th year in the system, that really shows how long it took before he did anything of note

Because he didn't actually play as a 3rd tall back very often he was given greater responsibility. Lever also gets the 4th best forward for much of the year behind Talia, Hartigan and Kelly.

Anyway you can think what you want, you think Levers the best thing since sliced bread. I get it.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because he didn't actually play as a 3rd tall back very often he was given greater responsibility. Lever also gets the 4th best forward for much of the year behind Talia, Hartigan and Kelly.

Anyway you can think what you want, you think Levers the best thing since sliced bread. I get it.
So now you have bumped Lever from playing on the third forward to the fourth I find your need to try and discredit him laughable. To be honest I do rate him, is he good enough to warrant 2 first rounders no. I would prefer to see us target a tall forward

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
So now you have bumped Lever from playing on the third forward to the fourth I find your need to try and discredit him laughable. To be honest I do rate him, is he good enough to warrant 2 first rounders no. I would prefer to see us target a tall forward

Watch some crows games throughout the HnA season.

Lever only started to get time on decent forwards late in the year. Discredit him? give it a rest, stating facts hurts...are you related or something? showing a big case of offended.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watch some crows games throughout the HnA season.

Lever only started to get time on decent forwards late in the year. Discredit him? give it a rest, stating facts hurts...are you related or something? showing a big case of offended.
You need to disregard what he has achieved makes you look like a fool. You're insistence that Rance always played on the best forward again see above. Did Lever root your misses or something? Out of any tall defender outside of the bloke who did 5 ACLs at the Swans he has had a better start to his career than any off then

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
How about we let the Rance/Lever comparisons for the team that actually gets Lever.
If we do the we can revisit, fair enough?
I'd rather just compare Lever to players that actually play like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back