Eddie raving about another club

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh geez I'll have a go (sign that I'm really bored feeding a troll...but anyways)
I'm a fisherman (freshwater fly fisherman actually) and yeah we're patient. We don't mind going for hours on end trying to lure an elusive brown, to play it to near exhaustion then to photograph it and return it to the river to fight another day. Balmey would make a good fisherman too. He's happy as long as he's doing his thing (helping out around a footy club....any footy club that pays his way). He's good with people, he cares and he makes people around him feel better. He's one of those blokes thats made a career out of being a good bloke around footy clubs. He wasn't a bad coach either apparently, but one stint at Melbourne did him in and I don't think he fancies the real pressure that being the main man entails.
Every club has a Balmey, some clubs probably have 4 or 5 of them. But if you actually want to suggest that the big fella had any more influence on the Cat's flags than an assistant coach (try Brendan McCartney...he did it at GFC, then WB and now he's at Melbourne) then your seriously overestimating the role of the GM.
Don't get me wrong Balmey is a vital cog in the Tiger's administration just as he was at GFC and CFC, but thats all he is. Make it into some criticism of Ed and his administration if you want (I'd much rather have got rid of Pert before Balmey, but then If Gubby had've come onboard I'd have been satisfied with his nouse as opposed to Balmeys too.)
So no more Hooks mate, Balmey didn't win the Tigers a premiership, nor did he lose them for us. He does his job very well and he is a good bloke, end of story.

Next?

Mate

I think you missed the essence of my comments.

But you are right. Balmey is a ripper authentic bloke. I have had the pleasure of dealing with him a few times. The contempt that McGuire displayed towards Balme late last year was appalling, particularly given that Balme is a salt of the earth good bloke. But what's probably even more appalling is that McGuire wouldn't have even given it a second thought. And McGuire has form in this department.

Not sure Cameron Ling agrees with your assertion that every club has a Balmey ...

TRIPLE Geelong premiership player Cameron Ling said Richmond’s resurgence and Balme’s return to the Tigers were no coincidence.He sees uncanny parallels between the Cats’ drought-breaking 2007 premiership season and Richmond’s run a decade on.

Balme took over as football boss at the Cattery in November 2006 after a heavy review that, like Hardwick, almost cost Mark “Bomber” Thompson his job. “Balmey was huge for us,” Ling said. “I could rave about him all day — brilliant, unbelievable. “He was perfect for us at the time and he was so perfect for Richmond.’’ “There is probably no more experienced senior football administrator — with successful experience — than Neil Balme.”

LING said Balme enabled people to perform at the highest level and Tigerland had benefited from that immensely.“I’m still completely surprised he’s not at Collingwood, but their loss was Richmond’s massive gain,” Ling said.

FORMER Collingwood development manager Mark Kleiman, who worked with Balme at the Pies from 1998 to 2006, agrees. “He’s one of the smartest blokes I’ve met and just doesn’t make a rash decision.“If a player had mucked up or we were talking about contracting players or recruiting players or even trading players, he’d say let’s think through this before we do it. “It doesn’t surprise me how Richmond are going and how they are running now.”

“I’m still completely surprised he’s not at Collingwood, but their loss was Richmond’s massive gain,” Ling said.

Spot on Cameron Ling. Again, thank you Ed. You replaced a smart, insightful, experienced,respected players operator with a bloke who had a history of doing dirty deals behind closed doors and who had an AFL investigation hanging over his head, and subsequently was found guilty.

What does that tell you about the mindset and integrity of our el supremo Prez? And where is the accountability for this appalling decision (that I might add resulted in the appointment of Mayne for 4 years)?

Excerpt from Kennett statement to Hawthorn members today:

"As testament to the values of Hawthorn as the family club, where no individual is bigger or more important than the club, President Richard Garvey has accepted personal responsibility for a Board decision that unfortunately has not worked out as hoped.

In life as in commerce, not all decisions we make always deliver the results we wish, but rarely does an individual accept personal responsibility as readily as Richard Garvey has done.

His decision and action is a noble act that he has made selflessly in the club’s best interest."

McGuire - have a good read.

Not sure Cameron Ling agrees with your assertion that every club has a Balmey ...

TRIPLE Geelong premiership player Cameron Ling said Richmond’s resurgence and Balme’s return to the Tigers were no coincidence.He sees uncanny parallels between the Cats’ drought-breaking 2007 premiership season and Richmond’s run a decade on.

Balme took over as football boss at the Cattery in November 2006 after a heavy review that, like Hardwick, almost cost Mark “Bomber” Thompson his job. “Balmey was huge for us,” Ling said. “I could rave about him all day — brilliant, unbelievable. “He was perfect for us at the time and he was so perfect for Richmond.’’ “There is probably no more experienced senior football administrator — with successful experience — than Neil Balme.”

LING said Balme enabled people to perform at the highest level and Tigerland had benefited from that immensely.“I’m still completely surprised he’s not at Collingwood, but their loss was Richmond’s massive gain,” Ling said.

FORMER Collingwood development manager Mark Kleiman, who worked with Balme at the Pies from 1998 to 2006, agrees. “He’s one of the smartest blokes I’ve met and just doesn’t make a rash decision.“If a player had mucked up or we were talking about contracting players or recruiting players or even trading players, he’d say let’s think through this before we do it. “It doesn’t surprise me how Richmond are going and how they are running now.”
You lost me at, Cameron Ling.

Dopey commentator.

Excerpt from Kennett statement to Hawthorn members today:

"As testament to the values of Hawthorn as the family club, where no individual is bigger or more important than the club, President Richard Garvey has accepted personal responsibility for a Board decision that unfortunately has not worked out as hoped.

In life as in commerce, not all decisions we make always deliver the results we wish, but rarely does an individual accept personal responsibility as readily as Richard Garvey has done.

His decision and action is a noble act that he has made selflessly in the club’s best interest."

McGuire - have a good read.
Mate give it a rest.
How much negativity can one person post?
As you know the other boards cater for, (some say thrive on) constant negativity, we don't.
Don't get me wrong we're not all about sunshine, rainbows & lollipops but enough is enough.

“I’m still completely surprised he’s not at Collingwood, but their loss was Richmond’s massive gain,” Ling said.

Spot on Cameron Ling. Again, thank you Ed. You replaced a smart, insightful, experienced,respected players operator with a bloke who had a history of doing dirty deals behind closed doors and who had an AFL investigation hanging over his head, and subsequently was found guilty.

What does that tell you about the mindset and integrity of our el supremo Prez? And where is the accountability for this appalling decision (that I might add resulted in the appointment of Mayne for 4 years)?
You might be a bit obsessive there. Ed has made errors.
Ed has been there too long in my view.
Hawthorn make errors too.
Stuffed up their CEO choice after months!
Stuffed up Lewis' exit from the club.
Ty Vickery anyone.

every club makes mistakes.

Besides....

It's spring, the sun is out, hope springs eternal

You lost me at, Cameron Ling.

Dopey commentator.
Can't agree with you on that but I suggest you don't research what the likes of Mark Thompson, Frank Costa, Brian Cook, Benny Gale and countless others think of his influence as it's pretty much in line with what the dopey commentator said.

Can't agree with you on that but I suggest you don't research what the likes of Mark Thompson, Frank Costa, Brian Cook, Benny Gale and countless others think of his influence as it's pretty much in line with what the dopey commentator said.
Enjoy your win.

Everyone loves Balmey.

Long is still a dope, adds nothing in his commentary. lucky he was good at football, who knows he might even survive as a commentator, which will be some feat for a guy who offers no insight, no analysis, doesn't speak that well.... but good luck to him.

You might be a bit obsessive there. Ed has made errors.
Ed has been there too long in my view.
Hawthorn make errors too.
Stuffed up their CEO choice after months!
Stuffed up Lewis' exit from the club.
Ty Vickery anyone.

every club makes mistakes.

Besides....

It's spring, the sun is out, hope springs eternal

Saintly

As a Collingwood supporter, I suspect that back in 2011, you were expectant at the prospect of a past champion player being appointed as senior coach and looking forward to/hoping that he would coach that premiership that eluded him as a player. Very normal.

So I have a simple "yes or no" question for you:

(i) Back then, did you expect the club to be where it is today some 6 years later?

If the answer is Yes then disregard the next question however if the answer is No, then:

(ii) Do you think those responsible should be held fully accountable?

HMC....just wondering how you made it from '58 to '90?
If not making the big dance for 4-5 years gets you this upset....how were you back then?
Pitchforks and torches??

If not making the big dance for 4-5 years gets you this upset....how were you back then?
Pitchforks and torches??

Great question Robroy.

Like I'm sure most Pies supporters, my GF grief began back in 1977 followed by that hellish period 1979-1981. Then we struck gold in 1990. Thereafter we all had to wait another 20 years until 2010 but personally, that extended period between 1990-2010 didn't greatly upset me as we were hardly ever a genuine prospect, bar 2002-03, when we were competing against an AFL underwritten side.

So I think it's fair to say that winning premierships at Collingwood, notwithstanding our biggest/best mindset, is truly gold and when we get the odd chance to maybe win more than one in a short timeframe, the club should do all it can to best position itself to realise this possibility, particularly when the window is open.

2010-11 was the greatest side I had witnessed in my time. In fact I thought 2011 was even more powerful than 2010 notwithstanding we didn't win the flag. They were a joy to watch. And it was claer the playing group were totally 100% aligned to their coach. I firmly believe that team were capable of further greatness (which is all that matters) over 2012-13. Beyond that, probably not. However, once Buckley was appointed as senior coach, that possibility of further greatness was completely taken away. And that has proven to be the case.

So the 6 year period without premiership success is not the issue. We at Collingwood are past masters when it comes to premiership droughts. It's the opportunity loss of what could have been that was taken away from the players and supporters once a certain person, who had no rights nor credits to take on a senior coaching role at that time, was granted the role. For that I will never forgive them.

I admire those supporters who retain the faith when it comes to Buckley. But I would argue that this is the case because of their very strong emotive connection with Buckley - the past champion player. But that is the dead past. And this is 2017. And the last 5 years have been largely wasted.

^^ great post Help My Club I empathise.
The Bucks appointment bit it was clearly a mistake and I swallowed what they gave out re the list changes etc.
He shouldn't have been re-appointed the time before last given all the noise around re disgruntled players.
I'm not hearing/seeing that now and whilst on performances he shouldn't have been re-appointed I believe, (guess) the playing group had a fair bit to say about it.
I have been told the club made mistakes and are trying to rectify them, some of which are playing out now.
I am again hoping they make the right calls and we get back on track.
If that means one of my favourite players becomes a Premiership Coach - even better.
Just as an aside, I was asked last night how annoyed I was Richmond won.
I said on the day I was annoyed, next day I was over it because I can't change it.

Ed being president just doesn't seem right

You need to remember that he makes his money in the media he can't afford to piss off opposition supporters as it might impact ratings. He is hopelessly conflicted and a terrible football commentator. I just turn him off these days he is just so fake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As other posters have said, Balme is a quality person and a good operator. It was always one of the more endearing sights at the VFL to watch Balmey with his backpack, setting himself up with some snacks at the back of a grandstand, watching the footy and being a good bloke. Personally, I was unhappy about the way Collingwood marginalised him in favour of Gubby. It was mismanagement, and I think it was reckless mismanagement.

But really, the emphasis that some people are placing on 'The Balme Effect' in explaining the success of Richmond and Geelong goes way too far, and I think that we as football media consumers should be a bit more circumspect about what gets said in media land, because those who make comments in the media often seem to think that they won't be heard without hyperbole.

Cameron Ling would know that the elements of premiership success --especially sustained success-- are many and varied, often intangible. Your own post mentions people like Costa and Cook, Thompson, not to mention Ling himself, not to mention all of the leaders who produced that Cat culture during the winning years. Balme no doubt played his part.

As for Richmond, people have been falling over themselves trying to explain how a mediocre team turned into a champion. Balme no doubt played his part, but other elements have been more conspicuous in the wash-up: the role of Benny Gale himself shouldn't be undersold, the role of the review and the willingness of Hardwick to challenge and change himself, the input of new coaches, the re-focused leadership among the players (i.e. Cotchin), a more flexible game style, the rise of Dusty Martin. All of these things had to work in ways they never have before, otherwise the influence of Balme wouldn't have counted for anything at all.

Pitchforks and torches??

RR22 - excuse me butting in but HMC states his grief started in 1977. I attended every Pies GF 1958 - 2011 except 1977 (o/seas) plus a few prelims we lost - eg '65, '73, '78... and many other losing finals. My grief really started in 1960 (we kicked lowest score ever in a GF - 2.2). Then there was the Galbally / Sherrin election bunfight which set us back years.

'64, '66, '70 were the agony years - remember the look on Bob Rose's face at the end of the 1970 GF?
'77 - I got news of the draw from the airport in London - waited for weeks on a Kibbutz (volunteer at the time) in Israel to get snail mail re the replay. '79, '80, '81 were the heartbreak years - like Bob Rose, Tom Hafey "deserved" a flag but not to be.

I sometimes wonder who's had the greatest grief? Pies fans going so close but missing in 10-11 GFs or Bulldogs fans some of whom waited 72 years? When Bob Rose and Tom Hafey went agonisingly close we always had hope (next year, next year) - that slender thread kept us going, undaunted we turned up, only to fall at the final hurdle again.

EFA - 1990 - the monkey is off the back - even attended the "ceremony" at Vic Park when we "buried the Colliwobbles".

The last few years have been mightily frustrating. 2010 was great (thank all creation for the "Milne bounce"). 2011 - again we lose one we could have won - a kick in it at 3/4 time - then....oblivion.

One of the problems IMO is that our recent performance has fallen far short of the promise, publicity, talk, hype etc. of the succession plan. Hopefully the club has had a brutal, objective no holds barred look at itself and is putting in place plans and strategies for sustained success - we await.

One of my siblings, unable to endure the agony any longer, has happily fled to the Storm. My slender thread of hope sways ever so slightly again..

Last edited:
I think I've related this story over the years elsewhere but the point is always the same. I feel privileged to be a Collingwood supporter. This club has given me (and my family) so much during our lives that I just don't get the grief and recriminations that others feel towards the club. I've lived through many lost GF's, disappointing administrations, player transfers and AFL rule changes that seemed hell bent on disabling our club structurally and financially. I've seen our some of our greatest ever players leave the club due to financial tugs of war and to realise today that Bobby Rose could have played 4-5 more years if we'd offered the same amount as a country club, well it just brings a smile to my face!
By far the worst times for me have been the "injury" to Johnny Greening and the misfortune of Darren Millane's death and Wayne Gordan's cancer. It's one thing to see a player beaten in a game. It's another to see them maimed for life or deceased.

But through my 68 years I've witnessed my club achieve the impossible. The '58 Premiership was the equivalent of CFC defeating a combined Brisbane Lions 2001-2003 team and Hawthorn 2013-15 team. Melbourne in the 50's were unbeatable. They were so smug, so "above us all" that as I entered the MCG that day with my grandfather I was too scared to even look at the red and blue streamers, I didn't want to jinx us! My grandfather told me to sit on the ground in front of the fence and I stayed there all day witnessing the under19's, reserves and finally the seniors. All us kids on the ground were soaked by rain showers and chilled to the bone but we wouldn't have moved for anything. As the GF progressed I kept looking at my grandfather for reassurance. He told me "there's two sides out there and anything can happen"....and I believed him...and it did! On the Sydney Rd tram going home that night I was allowed to let my Collingwood scarf (hand knitted by my grandmother...I still have it today) hang out the window of the tram. I don't think I ate anything that whole day but I was just so full of Magpie Spirit that I didn't even notice I was hungry. Gran had a roast prepared at home and we all ate and told stories and waited for the next day's papers to get some photos of the Pies Premiership.

When people rant and deride my club today, I just have to ignore it because I just want to support my club as I have all my life. Win lose or draw I'm a magpie and I'm so proud and privileged to be one.

I don't feel agony when we lose, I just look to the future.

Go Pies

.....When people rant and deride my club today, I just have to ignore it because I just want to support my club as I have all my life. Win lose or draw I'm a magpie and I'm so proud and privileged to be one. I don't feel agony when we lose, I just look to the future.
Go Pies
Admirable!! - I'll give it a go :)

I think I've related this story over the years elsewhere but the point is always the same. I feel privileged to be a Collingwood supporter. This club has given me (and my family) so much during our lives that I just don't get the grief and recriminations that others feel towards the club. I've lived through many lost GF's, disappointing administrations, player transfers and AFL rule changes that seemed hell bent on disabling our club structurally and financially. I've seen our some of our greatest ever players leave the club due to financial tugs of war and to realise today that Bobby Rose could have played 4-5 more years if we'd offered the same amount as a country club, well it just brings a smile to my face!
By far the worst times for me have been the "injury" to Johnny Greening and the misfortune of Darren Millane's death and Wayne Gordan's cancer. It's one thing to see a player beaten in a game. It's another to see them maimed for life or deceased.

But through my 68 years I've witnessed my club achieve the impossible. The '58 Premiership was the equivalent of CFC defeating a combined Brisbane Lions 2001-2003 team and Hawthorn 2013-15 team. Melbourne in the 50's were unbeatable. They were so smug, so "above us all" that as I entered the MCG that day with my grandfather I was too scared to even look at the red and blue streamers, I didn't want to jinx us! My grandfather told me to sit on the ground in front of the fence and I stayed there all day witnessing the under19's, reserves and finally the seniors. All us kids on the ground were soaked by rain showers and chilled to the bone but we wouldn't have moved for anything. As the GF progressed I kept looking at my grandfather for reassurance. He told me "there's two sides out there and anything can happen"....and I believed him...and it did! On the Sydney Rd tram going home that night I was allowed to let my Collingwood scarf (hand knitted by my grandmother...I still have it today) hang out the window of the tram. I don't think I ate anything that whole day but I was just so full of Magpie Spirit that I didn't even notice I was hungry. Gran had a roast prepared at home and we all ate and told stories and waited for the next day's papers to get some photos of the Pies Premiership.

When people rant and deride my club today, I just have to ignore it because I just want to support my club as I have all my life. Win lose or draw I'm a magpie and I'm so proud and privileged to be one.

Go Pies
Thanks for sharing that mate. My dad was at that game too and often talks about it.

Go Pies

Thanks Robroy

If I may, I would suggest that Collingwood should be privileged to have you as a supporter.

Thanks Robroy

If I may, I would suggest that Collingwood should be privileged to have you as a supporter.

Bunkum....they've given me much more than I've ever given them. Its a great thing to be a part of the Collingwood family. Lou Richards called us that in the 60's and he was right.

My granddaughter called 2010 her "Best game ever" .... for me '58 was my Best Day Ever!!
I think my dad went with his school or maybe scout group. He was only a boy like you.

I think my dad went with his school or maybe scout group. He was only a boy like you.

Yeah there were scouts groups there and a few of the Catholic schools brought groups of kids. Where we were HFF in front of the then new Olympic stand, there must've been a couple of hundred of us. But strangely it was all Collingwood kids!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back