Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts on next year. Given injuries and departures we will need to change how we play.

Defence

This year we had 4 stoppers (Talia, Hartigan, Kelly and Brown) with 3 rebounders (Laird, Lever and Smith). Now Smith is injured and Lever is leaving. That leaves Laird, who is more of a connector than a creator.

I love the optimism around Doedee but from all reports he is a contest-winner first, which is fine but we would be optimistic to rely on him to lead the rebound charge.

I like Kelly but think we already have too many stopper-only defenders especially with Smith injured and Lever leaving.

Contrast that to the premiership-winning Crows of 97-98 with players like Hart, Smart, Caven, Goodwin back there. All of them 2 way players.

I think Milera should play in defence. He is brilliant at scooping up the loose ball and an elite ball user. Hopefully his defensive work can be good enough that we can hide him on the 6th best forward. I don't agree he is soft, and I think having a clear role to play in stopping a forward then providing rebound could really help him.

We also need to trade someone in who can defend and provide rebound. Perhaps Gibbs if he is coming, if not, we desperately need someone who can provide some rebound from defence.

Can Keath elevate his play and take over from one of Talia / Hartigan? Those two are both great defensively but we can only carry so many one-way players.

My back 7 for next season:
Stoppers - Talia, Keath, Doedee, Brown
Rebounders - Laird, Milera, [trade target]

We should be decent at stopping the opposition. Our lack of rebound is going to be a real problem against good teams with elite forward pressure (see: Richmond) and will lead to lots of slow kicks down the line just like on GF day.

Midfield

I think winning contests must be our strength. Jacobs with Sloane, M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood. Douglas at times.

Unfortunately we don't have an absolute A grader here. Sloane would be however he tends to go missing when tagged and during critical moments of important matches such his 5-possession 2nd half to the GF.

I think we will win a lot of matches on the strength of winning contests but not sure it will be enough when we come up against another team with a star playing at their best, as Martin was in the GF.

Outside mids are not great, but that's the type of role which can look better or worse depending on how the contest-winners are going. Atkins, Seedsman, Mackay. Unlikely to be a strength, which will be exacerbated by the lack of rebound coming from our defence.

My inside mids for next season:
Ruck - Jacobs
Inside mids - Sloane, M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, Douglas
Outside mids - Seedsman, Atkins, Mackay

Probably our strength but not sure if it will be enough of a strength against another contender with one or two true stars at their best.

Forwards

By the start of next year, this year's starting forward line will be:
Taylor Walker - 27 years / 153 games, 194 cm / 101 kg
Tom Lynch - 27 years / 106 games, 191 cm / 88 kg
Josh Jenkins - 29 years / 114 games, 200 cm / 108 kg
Eddie Betts - 31 years / 277 games, 175 cm / 73 kg
Mitch McGovern - 23 years / 36 games, 191 cm / 88 kgCharlie Cameron - 23 years / 73 games, 181 cm / 75 kg

Despite the height and weight, McGovern is the one who consistently takes pack marks. Betts, McGovern and Cameron apply good pressure but Betts is getting older and Cameron is supposedly leaving.

This will leave us with McGovern being the one player who routinely brings pack marking and ground level pressure. Those will be the two key elements we need given our lack of defensive rebound and outside midfield class.

More scrubby kicks down the line means more pack contests which means less marks taken and more ground level contests.

We need more ground-level pressure and ability to win contests. I think we must leave out Jenkins. Otten must stay in the SANFL. Menzel hasn't given any indication he is AFL standard. Hampton is too poor of a decision maker, doesn't get enough of the ball, and he's 24 so unlikely to change.

Riley Knight needs to step up. Really hope Cameron stays. Crossing fingers that Gallucci can own a spot in the forward line. Maybe Ben Jarman will be just about AFL-ready.

More hope than expectation here, but our player development has been good so there is reason to be hopeful.

My forwards for next season:
Key forward - Walker, Lynch, McGovern
Small forward - Cameron, Knight, Gallucci

Line-up
FB: Brown, Talia, Milera
HB: Laird, Hartigan, [Gibbs?]
C: Seedsman, Douglas, Atkins
HF: Cameron, Lynch, McGovern
FF: Betts, Walker, Knight
R: Jacobs, Sloane, M Crouch, B Crouch
Int: Doedee (def), Greenwood (mid/fwd), Gallucci (mid/fwd), Mackay (def/mid)

Greenwood to be back-up ruck, Grigg-style.

Hopeful on Keath, Jarman, Poholke claiming a spot somewhere.

Unfortunately the last couple of years have been trending towards forward pressure and defensive rebound, two areas we were already below premiership standard and will get worse with our injuries and our expected departures.

We do have strengths and young players with room to improve, and I think Pyke is capable of putting together a method of playing which will fit our strengths. For example we could move to more of a rolling-maul style of play with big numbers around the ball and have our stopper defenders just kick down the line more often. Will be interested to see how it develops.

Not all doom and gloom next year. The massive loss is smith and to a lesser extent lever. Seems Cameron is staying if you believe Betts which i do. If we trade in a replacement for Lever which i know is not easy (jmcgovern?) and if we draft a mid with speed ready to play round 1 all is not lost. We need Knight, Hampton, Greenwood, Cameron to keep developing and need Keath, Doedee and maybe a Himmelberg to start playing regularly and hold their spot. Add in a Gibbs and that may be the icing on the cake. Walker and Talia must get over their injuries and shed some pounds as they look slow. Who is not part of our next premiership: Jenkins, Atkins, Kelly, Otten, Mackay and Douglas. Would trade out Jenkins, Atkins and Menzel as priorities.

Last edited:

Well I've got Kingy's 'Pressure-meter' from the fox footy lab stuck in my brain and have gotten wrapped up in the post GF rage/flavour of the month and off the back of the Richmond/Dogs premierships these 'small ball' tactics are more than likely going to engulf the entire competition next year, so we of course have to follow suit...

2018 'Small Ball' Line-Up

FB: Brown -- Hartigan -- Kelly
------------ Talia -----------
HB: Hampton -- Laird -- Atkins
C: Seedsman -- Sloane -- Milera
HF: Lynch -- Walker -- Knight
FF: --- McGovern -- Betts ---
Foll: Jacobs -- M.Crouch -- B.Crouch

I/C: Douglas, Gallucci, Greenwood, (Gibbs/Trade target)/Menzel

I wouldn't actually mind if that actually ever did come to fruition as like many others I have no time whatsoever for Jenkins anymore especially as it is finally being realised the last days of the tall, poor chasing, bad lateral moving, poor decision making forward/default back-up ruck are arriving, as I've long predicted on these forums would be the case (as is being pointed out, the last 2 back up rucks in premiership teams were Bontempelli & Grigg).

It's proving to be not a bad formula, ruck's all about competing so maybe we could just get Greenwood to do the same as what those two did, getting rid of Jenkins is a stretch considering the pay packet but it certainly would de-clutter our forward line, move the team towards implementing a different certainly more 'modern' higher pressure forward line and it would actually free up a spot for a skilled footballer, but another thing that could thwart this ever being implemented would be fathertime catching up with Sauce.

But if they want another tall option other then Jenkins I'd be really tempted to go for Himmelberg instead, he's at least someone who can actually take an overhead grab, also shown more footballing smarts and ability in one year in the SANFL then Jenkins has in 5 years.

2018 Conventional Line-Up

FB: Brown -- Hartigan -- Kelly
----- Talia -- Doedee -----
HB: Laird ---------------- Atkins
C: Seedsman -- Sloane -- Milera
HF: ---- Lynch ---- Walker -----
FF: McGovern -- Jenkins -- Betts
Foll: Jacobs -- M.Crouch -- B.Crouch

I/C: Douglas, Knight, Greenwood, (Gibbs/Trade target)/Hampton

We will desperately need youngsters like Gallucci, Poholke, Himmelberg and Jarman to push for early selection too.

Hopefully someone also tells them down there having 'good attributes' or being a 'good bloke' or a 'nice size' does not make you a good footballer nor should it make you an automatic selection, players like Otten and Mackay shouldn't be used as default selections by a detrimentally overly safe match committee, especially in what should both be their last year on the list. Consistently going back to the well and trying to rely on the mediocre players of the past is not what is going to help drive this group to leave their past behind them and move forward to challenge again next year.

Last edited:
So what's the potential for CEY when he's fully recuperated? I seem to remember some saying delisting was imminent, but I'd find a forward role for him over Otten any day of the week...

We need to do whatever it takes to make milera the player he needs to be.

His skills under pressure is an absolute asset we lack

Can't believe the no confidence in Milera he has played AFL football in his first two years of AFL career and has shown some outstanding signs

We have a number of players that aren't capable of this for one reason or another whether it be poor disposal lack of speed or poor decision making

Greenwood should come on but his age may see him at his best of his ability along with Keath only time will tell on those two

Will pohlkoke or sig get games or will they go two years without a hit on the board

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When you look at our list it's not as good as I thought it was. Alot of list fillers.

Retired:
Thommo

Not up to standard:
Wigg
Deer
Beech
Ellis
Menzel
Gore
O'Brien

Trade:
Lever
Cameron

Senior players who should be SANFL depth only in 2018

McKay
Otten
Douglas
Jenkins

So a 1/3 of our list is incapable of having a consistent impact at the top level. Yikes!

Ellis ??

Beech and Wigg won't be on the list in the next couple of weeks, O'Brien might be good enough but we just don't know and I still hold out a tiny shred of hope that Menzel can play a role.

Personally I want to see Jarman play some JLT games next year.

Milera to half back to replace Smith.
Doedee to replace Lever.
Do you really think Doedee can provide as much rebound as Lever? Or some other change to compensate?

I suspect these changes as-is will make our ability to rebound from defence even worse than it already is with Talia Hartigan Brown Kelly.

Do you really think Doedee can provide as much rebound as Lever? Or some other change to compensate?

I suspect these changes as-is will make our ability to rebound from defence even worse than it already is with Talia Hartigan Brown Kelly.
Keath should give us as much rebound as Lever - and he is taller and faster.

B Doedee - Talia - Brown
HB Laird - Keath - J. McGovern
C Gibbs - B. Crouch - Milera
HF Lynch - Walker - M. McGovern
F Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
R Jacobs - Sloane - M. Crouch

I Hampton - Gallucci - Greenwood - Knight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at our list it's not as good as I thought it was. Alot of list fillers.

Retired:
Thommo

Not up to standard:
Wigg
Deer
Beech
Ellis
Menzel
Gore
O'Brien

Trade:
Lever
Cameron

Senior players who should be SANFL depth only in 2018

McKay
Otten
Douglas
Jenkins

So a 1/3 of our list is incapable of having a consistent impact at the top level. Yikes!
you are not allowing for delisting a and new recruits .

I really would like to see us get senior games for gooch and polhoke next year. Whose spots are they trying to take?

Hopefully we get something immediately for Lever, I'm hoping Salem and something.

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Hartigan x
B.Crouch Gibbs Seedsman
Lynch Walker Douglas
Betts McGovern x
Sauce Sloane Matt

Greenwood Hampton Atkins x

I think two talls is enough forward, 3 talls was a disaster for GWS and for us on GF day. Knight I don't have much faith in, nor any of the repeat offenders (Dmac and JJ)

Hopefully we get something immediately for Lever, I'm hoping Salem and something.

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Hartigan x
B.Crouch Gibbs Seedsman
Lynch Walker Douglas
Betts McGovern x
Sauce Sloane Matt

Greenwood Hampton Atkins x

I think two talls is enough forward, 3 talls was a disaster for GWS and for us on GF day. Knight I don't have much faith in, nor any of the repeat offenders (Dmac and JJ)

Right now I'd have it closer to:

Brown Talia x
Laird Hartigan x
B.Crouch x x
Lynch Walker x
Betts McGovern x
Sauce Sloane Matt

Greenwood x x x

9x: Doedee, Seedsman, Hampton, Gibbs, Milera, Menzel, Gallucci, Knight and unfortunately Jenkins

Ellis ??

Beech and Wigg won't be on the list in the next couple of weeks, O'Brien might be good enough but we just don't know and I still hold out a tiny shred of hope that Menzel can play a role.

Personally I want to see Jarman play some JLT games next year.

BJ played some very good games late in the SANFL. I'd fully expect him to be playing good, consistent SANFL footy from Rnd 1 with a view to upgrade him during the bye rounds.

Kelly Talia Brown
Laird Hartigan Seedsman
Sloane B. Crouch Milera
Lynch McGovern Knight
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M.Crouch Gibbs

Douglas Atkins Doedee Hampton

Brown Talia Laird
Hampton Hartigan Walker
Milera M.Crouch Seedsman
Lynch J.Hogan Greenwood
Betts McGovern Menzel

Jacobs, Sloane, B.Crouch

Kelly, Douglas, Knight, ????

trade lever for hogan
menzel comes in for cameron
walker loses weight 5-10kg and takes the leaver role, walker is not any slower than lever, and as captain can really lead the team from hbflank

Early days, but..

B: Brown, Talia, Kelly
HB: Milera#, Hartigan, Laird
C: Gibbs#, Mrouch, Douglas
HF: Lynch, Walker, Knight
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Brouch
I: Doedee/Keath, Greenwood, 2 of Gallucci/Atkins/Seedsman/Hampton

#uncertain

Brown Talia Francis
Mayes Hartigan Laird
Gibbs Mrouch Atkins
Lynch Walker Salem
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Jacobs Brouch Sloane
Greenwood Knight Milera Kelly/Hampton

B Doedee- Talia - Brown
HB Laird - Hartigan - Seedsman
C Gibbs - B. Crouch - Atkins
HF Lynch - McGovern- Douglas
F Betts - Walker - Galluci
R Jacobs - Sloane - M. Crouch

I Hampton - Kelly - Greenwood - Knight

EMG: Keath, Mackay & Poholke/Pick 10

I am hoping Smith is aiming for a round 15 return.. his body type suggests he wont take the full 12 months? 3 games back in the SANFL get back into the AFL side by round 18 and play the last 5/6 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back