Autopsy Wayne Carey: "Jack > Buddy"

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
I am inclined to agree with the King.

I have always marveled at the talent buddy has but hes far from a flawless player. The hawks have evolved to new standards after he left and he hasnt won enough flags to justify his money; with just a quality team around him at the swannies.

Jack #1 for tackles in the Grand Final is an example of his career; moving to a more unselfish role after winning multiple colemans as a kid for the betterment of the team.

jack-riewoldt-636x397.jpg;636x397

**** oath or na?

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am inclined to agree with the King.

I have always marveled at the talent buddy has but hes far from a flawless player. The hawks have evolved to new standards after he left and he hasnt won enough flags to justify his money; with just a quality team around him at the swannies.

Jack #1 for tackles in the Grand Final is an example of his career; moving to a more unselfish role after winning multiple colemans as a kid for the betterment of the team.

jack-riewoldt-636x397.jpg;636x397

**** oath or na?

I assume you mean on stage?

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I assume you mean on stage?

na , forward for football clubs

Nah, Buddy > Riewoldt. Riewoldt has a lot of passion, but a talented forward like Buddy is not easy to come across.

the most talented blokes are often down the pub with a crack pipe

jack has talent (maybe not as much as buddy, whos a freak obviously) but he also has a amazing football brain, heart and courage

#1 for tackles int he fwd 50 for a long time too

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Wayne Carey = idiot.

Lance will likely be last in the 1000 goal club for quite some time.
He is the number 1 forward in the game.

Jack won two Colemans at like 22 before he was more to HF / CHF / Wing due to dimmas masterplans

3 contested marks and 7 tackles? Thats a fine small forward youve got there, wouldnt go as far as saying hes better than Franklin though....

Like Ive been saying. Jack was the best at kicking goals when he was pretty much still a kid. With some very talented men in the league.

His position has been changed "for the good of the team" which im still skeptical about. However Carey was getting at all around, Jack is the better package and who you would rather as a key forward. And to be fair he would know about these things.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
Bloody hell. Buddy has been a dominant player for almost a decade now. Kicked 100+ in a Premiership year, changed his game significantly in 2013 to become very much a team player and has ironed out a lot of the deficiencies in his game over that time. People forget how good he is because he does it every week.

As a Tasmanian I like Jack but come on.

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
So? Buddy>Jack

and that’s no slight on him.

im not sure thats why i made the thread to ask. i just gave my thoughts.

franklin has more goals but the question raised by carey is who is better.

This is the same Jack Riewoldt that did not even kick 40 goals this year, right???

thats right reigning premiership forward jack

3 contested marks and 7 tackles? Thats a fine small forward youve got there, wouldnt go as far as saying hes better than Franklin though....

the tigers small forward that won the flag are - Rioli, Butler, Castagna

the like of Lambert can go there and we have some good kids like Bolton, Stengle.

Jack is playing key forward and pretty much doing the job of two people.... sacrificing himself for the good of the team? Could buddy do that? Not sure

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Bloody hell. Buddy has been a dominant player for almost a decade now. Kicked 100+ in a Premiership year, changed his game significantly in 2013 to become very much a team player and has ironed out a lot of the deficiencies in his game over that time. People forget how good he is because he does it every week.

As a Tasmanian I like Jack but come on.

I doubt Jack has beaten Buddy in any goal kicking tally over the course of their careers.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
I'm a bit confused as to what you're using as your standard of measurement? In your OP you talk about Premierships and Colemans - irrespective of how many Premierships he should have, Buddy has Riewoldt covered on both.

If you think Buddy doesn't know how to sacrifice his game for the team then I suggest you go and look at the Hawks 2013 season where he effectively played as a decoy forward for most of the year, but still nabbed 60 goals (and 37 points) all while serving as a distraction to the opposition defence for most of the time.

Back