Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now it is official that that Lever has requested a trade, the questions has to be asked.

It is an almost annual event - Adelaide losing a highly rated player.

There's a perfectly good reason for each individual case - David and Tippet money, Dangerfield, Lever and Cameron "go home factor"

But all clubs have faced those pressures and while most clubs have lost players, none have lost as many, or as routinely, as the Crows.

It can't be the city of Adelaide itself - Port don't seem to have the same issue.

Why can't Adelaide keep their talent?

(I should say that this is somewhat of a backhanded compliment to Adelaide - that they manage to keep on being so good while routinely losing players)

Bomber_Dan

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Port seems to keep their players much better then Adelaide. Is it culture? Maybe no-one wants to live in Adelaide?

pirate bob

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now it is official that that Lever has requested a trade, the questions has to be asked.

It is an almost annual event - Adelaide losing a highly rated player.

There's a perfectly good reason for each individual case - David and Tippet money, Dangerfield, Lever and Cameron "go home factor"

But all clubs have faced those pressures and while most clubs have lost players, none have lost as many, or as routinely, as the Crows.

It can't be the city of Adelaide itself - Port don't seem to have the same issue.

Why can't Adelaide keep their talent?

(I should say that this is somewhat of a backhanded compliment to Adelaide - that they manage to keep on being so good while routinely losing players)
Cameron hasn't gone .. yet!

You left out Nathan Bock - AA CHB to GCS for a great AFL initiated opportunity. And Jack Gunston for that matter.

Your welcome ..

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cameron hasn't gone .. yet!

You left out Nathan Bock - AA CHB to GCS for a great AFL initiated opportunity. And Jack Gunston for that matter.

Your welcome ..

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Build a good culture and players won’t want to leave.

I realise asking a Port supporter this is asking for trouble, but what's the issue with Adelaide's culture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Every club has players leave, and it's not that long a list. Lever definitely a keeoer but s**t happens.
Biggest issue will be to stay calm at the draft with a couple of high picks up their sleave. Not something the club is used to.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
This is going to sound like im blowing it up the clubs ass but here goes.

One of the major reasons is we identify and develop talent really really well.
Therefore there's a lot of young developing players wanting a bigger piece of the pie which we often simply cant provide.

GWS have somewhat the same issue. The wallpaper goes over the cracks there because they had such a large number of high picks and talent that still remains.

Look at Lever's draft. Nobody above him would demand anywhere near the price tag he currently is. Petracca close probably, but nobody else anywhere near it. Look at Davis: 2 years at Adelaide, GWS offer him $1m per year and the captaincy.

There are other factors too. Adelaide isnt that exciting for a young bloke to live in (but definitely not a shithole like others will say - anyone that has lived here will tell you its a great place to live)

Last edited:

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every club has players leave, and it's not that long a list. Lever definitely a keeoer but s**t happens.
Biggest issue will be to stay calm at the draft with a couple of high picks up their sleave. Not something the club is used to.

Apart from GWS - which is a special case given how many players it has had (bigger lists etc) I can't think of a team that has had as many "required" players leave as Adelaide. Like I said, it is pretty much a yearly occurrence.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is going to sound like im blowing it up the clubs ass but here goes.

One of the major reasons is we identify and develop talent really really well.
Therefore there's a lot of young developing players wanting a bigger piece of the pie which we often simply cant provide.

GWS have somewhat the same issue. The wallpaper goes over the cracks there because they had such a large number of high picks and talent that still remains.

Look at his draft. Nobody above him would demand anywhere near the price tag he currently is. Petracca close probably, but nobody else anywhere near it. Look at Davis: 2 years at Adelaide, GWS offer him $1m per year and the captaincy.

This is a fair point. And as I mentioned in the OP, the Crows do seem to be able to cover the losses without much issue.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I realise asking a Port supporter this is asking for trouble, but what's the issue with Adelaide's culture?
Port have 140+ years history, club rooms, a culture.
Adelaide are a manufactured franchise.

I’m not trolling that’s genuinely probably the reason they can’t retain players.

When interstate players come to port I have heard port make sure they do everything possible to make the family feel welcome as well. Ollie wines family are at most games/functions since coming here. They are just as much as part of the footy club as Ollie is. It’s simple, keep the players happy in a good culture and you won’t have any issues.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nothing to do with culture, if players want to **** off home to be closer to mummy and act like lttle bitches that's there problem for not growing up. FFS its a 40 minute flight from melbourne, there problem not the clubs.

Doesn't explain Tippett or Davis (though they have the money factor)

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Port supporters tend to throw out a lot of hyperbole.

Firstly I believe that Adelaide recruit far too heavily out of Victoria (we have significantly more Vic players on our list in comparison to WCE, Freo and Port)

I also think the Crows make the mistake of chasing Vic metro players while Port have been smarter with their Vic selections .If you look at Port's history they seem to focus more on recruiting from the Murraylands/Bendigo area where I guess the Melbourne pull isn't quite as strong as selecting players from the Vic metro area.

If you look back at two of Port's more recent Vic metro selections (Ben Jacobs and Trengove) Jacobs has already gone back to Victoria and Trengove also looks set to leave as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back