Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Victorians will go nuts at this suggestion but I think every club, no matter what club it is, should get an extra 10% for individual players if they are drafted from another state.

So for Adelaide, every non-South Australian on their list gets an extra 10% on their contract.
It's probably already at least 10% cheaper to live in Adelaide than Melbourne though.

Legit think Adelaide has done nothing wrong just been unlucky. Aussies are seriously sooky bums when it comes to living away from home, your still in Oz most cities are (relatively) similar to each other. Soccer players go live in countries not knowing a word of the language and manage to stay (yes they earn more but AFL players aren't exactly living in the streets).

If I was Adelaide, just like WCE, Freo and Port, start recruiting hometown boys. Burton, Graham comes to mind..

45 players on our list mate.

Name 1 Star that has left in the last 10 years.

Maybe your club should start copying us, you would probably have a premiership right now if you did.

Your club tried to trade both Lobbe and Hartlett after signing them to 5 years deals. Your stars aren't leaving because you overpay them. As a result you don't have any depth and it shows in your inability to beat top 8 teams.

Why the heck would the Crows want to copy a team whose have made the finals in only 3 of the past 10 years, making a PF just once in that time?

Your club tried to trade both Lobbe and Hartlett after signing them to 5 years deals. Your stars aren't leaving because you overpay them. As a result you don't have any depth and it shows in your inability to beat top 8 teams.

Why the heck would the Crows want to copy a team whose have made the finals in only 3 of the past 10 years, making a PF just once in that time?
No depth and yet our reserves side made the GF and yours didn’t even make the finals

Crows should model port because our history of retaining players have been far superior to Adelaide’s. Pretty simple, if you were good at retaining players you would had probably won the premiership this year

Legit think Adelaide has done nothing wrong just been unlucky. Aussies are seriously sooky bums when it comes to living away from home, your still in Oz most cities are (relatively) similar to each other. Soccer players go live in countries not knowing a word of the language and manage to stay (yes they earn more but AFL players aren't exactly living in the streets).

If I was Adelaide, just like WCE, Freo and Port, start recruiting hometown boys. Burton, Graham comes to mind..

It's no guarantee. Bock was a local kid and he still took the dump truck of cash GC offered him.

Also look at the paltry amount of talent SA has been developing lately. If we wen't SA only we would slide down the ladder.

No depth and yet our reserves side made the GF and yours didn’t even make the finals

Crows should model port because our history of retaining players have been far superior to Adelaide’s. Pretty simple, if you were good at retaining players you would had probably won the premiership this year
Your reserves side lost to an SANFL side, even with you paying your SANFL captain big money to stay with the club and with the Power reserves fielding a heap of AFL listed players due to the fact that the Power had bugger all injuries this year.

Plus you're completely missing the point. Retaining players isn't the be all and end all, especially when you end up stuck with duds that you can't get rid of.

Model Port?

Draft s**t players who don't attract offers? Like Impey over Crouch?

Yep Port retained Impey. Well done!

Doesn't explain Tippett or Davis (though they have the money factor)
Tippett was probably the only 1 who genuinely hated Adelaide. Davis was offered a deal to go to GWS no-one could match, money and leadership opportunities etc. He was identified as a future captain early in his career at Adelaide.

Gunston wasn't happy playing for Centrals in the SANFL either. Crows have their own team in SANFL now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Jenkins was s**t in the GF but in the last four years he's kicked 40,46,62 & 45 goals. Plenty of sides would be more than happy with that kind of output. I'm not saying I'm a huge Jenkins fan but he doesn't deserve the s**t he's been copping around here lately. People are acting like he's the new Vickery.

I know Jenkins was s**t in the GF but in the last four years he's kicked 40,46,62 & 45 goals. I'm not a huge Jenkins fan but he doesn't deserve the s**t he's been copping around here lately. People are acting like he's the new Vickery.
He really is the new Vickery. One dimensional player, the only reason he gets more kicks is he plays in a much better side than Vickery has in his career.

Seems like some people struggle to understand how important family is. To SOME players family is more important than money, and I don't blame them. There have been plenty of instances in the real world - not just the AFL where people have turned down jobs where they would have gotten paid more but had to move interstate or overseas. If Lever gets the chance to go back home AND get paid.. then why not?

Last edited:
Seems like some people struggle to understand how important family is. To SOME players family is more important than money, and I don't blame them. There have been plenty of instances in the real world - not just the AFL where people have turned down jobs where they get paid more but have to move interstate or overseas. If Lever gets the chance to go back home AND get paid.. then why not?

Yeah agreed. It's easy for us to judge but people are just different, especially when to comes to family. If Lever is able to move on and get paid more? Why not? He has been at the crows three seasons; he doesn't owe them anything.

Seems like some people struggle to understand how important family is. To SOME players family is more important than money, and I don't blame them. There have been plenty of instances in the real world - not just the AFL where people have turned down jobs where they get paid more but have to move interstate or overseas. If Lever gets the chance to go back home AND get paid.. then why not?
This doesn't seem to afflict players from outside Melbourne to anywhere near the same degree. Guys like Ryder and Franklin are from WA, but leave Vic clubs to play for non-Vic ones. Country Victorian boys generally remain happy whoever they're with.

It's almost unheard of for Melbourne born players to leave the non-Vic club they're drafted to and go anywhere other than Melbourne.

People from Melbourne really love their rainy little overpriced shithole.

Adelaide is not a 'shithole' in the original sense of the word. But it is far too much like a country town to appeal to young adults who want to go out on a regular basis and the nightlife quality and options in Adelaide isn't that great when compared to Melbourne. I think it has little to do with feeling home sick or else you'd see the same number of WA, SA, etc... players wanting to return to the city they grew up in for the same reasons and that just isn't happening to the same degree.

Unfortunately for Adelaide there aren't that many footballers like GAJ who prefer a quite night at home on Friday and Saturday evenings hence why many are wanting to leave and use the family excuse probably because they think it's more palatable than saying the real reason. I know that it's not true of all players with the best example being Dangerfield who returned to his childhood rural home town due to wanting to start a family where he grew up but as a general rule it is usually correct.

Last edited:
45 players on our list mate.

Name 1 Star that has left in the last 10 years.

Maybe your club should start copying us, you would probably have a premiership right now if you did.
Probably helps that you haven't got as many stars as Adelaide to be poached.

This doesn't seem to afflict players from outside Melbourne to anywhere near the same degree. Guys like Ryder and Franklin are from WA, but leave Vic clubs to play for non-Vic ones. Country Victorian boys generally remain happy whoever they're with.

It's almost unheard of for Melbourne born players to leave the non-Vic club they're drafted to and go anywhere other than Melbourne.

People from Melbourne really love their rainy little overpriced shithole.

Like I said, it's the case with some players.. not all. Why would a Melbourne born player leave a non-vic club and go elsewhere when he might have the same opportunities in Victoria, and be closer to home? No s**t it is almost unheard of.. There are a lot more teams in Victoria to choose from as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back