Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring was fine. In fact one of the better games I've seen umpired this year. Had no impact at all and was at no stage out of control. No side was advantaged and despite the odd free or missed free that's debatable/borderline (like every game) there was no where near the usual array of shockers we've seen during the season.

Umpires shouldn't even be mentioned in relation to this game.

hqdefault.jpg

The umpiring wasn't as bad as the GF last year but it was still one of the worst umpired GFs I've seen, especially in the first half.

The whole umpiring department needs an overhaul, especially when it comes to the rules which have become a complete shambles.

hqdefault.jpg

The umpiring wasn't as bad as the GF last year but it was still one of the worst umpired GFs I've seen, especially in the first half.

The whole umpiring department needs an overhaul, especially when it comes to the rules which have become a complete shambles.

No, it wasn't at all.... but look who I'm talking to lol.

Liked
The fact that at the parade on the Friday and before and during the game on Saturday, supporters of both clubs mixed together freely with no sign (that I could see anyway) of aggro or idiocy.
Hugging random strangers and the atmosphere of Swan St after the game and long into the night.
Learnt
That as a long suffering Richmond supporter who said he would never go to a GF until RIchmond made it (mainly because I never wanted to deprive a real fan of a seat), that it was the best day of my life. (and yes I have children)
Australian Rules Football is the greatest sport on earth.
Hated
Hated seeing a loser. Spoke to many Crows fans before the game and at half time and said that if we had to lose to a club, then I would be glad it would be to them for all the heartache they went through with Phil Walsh and Dean Bailey.

Richmond, premiers 2017. I still simply cannot believe it.

Learnt: You don't need to be the best team in the completion to win the flag.

Also, being the trending player elevates you drastically in Norm Smith voting. There were at least 3-5 better players than Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair there is no clear best team this year. Every team has looked pathetic at stages.

Well it looks like the thread has been derailed (I know, a shock, right?) and I haven't read all of the rest of it to see if any of my thoughts have been covered, so here goes:

Liked

The Tiger army
and the atmosphere they brought;

Seeing Brendon Gale's reactions
, especially when he reached across a few seats and embraced Michael and their Mother;

Richmond winning it after a fair drought
...I got into footy around the early-mid nineties and after the Eagles' era of dominance ended I always liked watching Richmond games for the atmosphere their crowd brought and the players such as Richo at the time. Shoot me...I like footy and as devastated as I am that the Eagles are not very relevant at the moment, I am secure enough to allow myself to enjoy the glory of other teams, especially when there is a compelling story behind it.

Learnt

Relentless pressure applied by a psychologically in-tune team of fleet-footed players who can cleanly pick up a ground ball, led by a few elite players in key positions, is the way to win the modern game. There's echoes of the Bulldogs with their pressure game, lack of tall forwards, and a drive provided by some unique bond that has developed within the club at the right time.

Psychology in this sport plays a huge role in success or failure, and while you cannot manufacture a strong culture according to some blueprint, the relationships within a club seem to be increasingly important in what has become a more robotic and economically-driven industry over the past 10-15 years.

Hated

BigFooty seems to have become overrun with people who hate, rather than love, this game.

You have to remember, victory for your club down the track would never be as sweet if the competition were not to have their time in the sun. Why people cannot seem to enjoy this kind of thing annoys me...obviously I'm not referring to fans of Adelaide (or the Swans supporters from last year). I enjoyed seeing Hardwick's untamed smile, the tears from Richo and others, the passion from the fans, the opening up by Bachar and others about what they felt made the difference in their season, Jack going berserk...

By all means criticise, but the hatred is astounding and frankly unwarranted on such a large scale. It is a lament I have for the world in general. Hate and opposition to your fellow man instead of recognising and celebrating differences and achievements.

Like humanity, the game will always evolve; both would frankly be boring if they didn't.

Last edited:
Congrant on your brand new vfl premiership - how manys that now?

Its a miscommunication mate - settle down

You tigers think everyones talking about the vfl when its actualky the afl they are talking about.

Miscommunication? Well perhaps you'd better check what you write before you post. You stated "vfl". I replied. It was only when numbnuts jumped and called me a flog, that I suggested he re-read the conversation.

Anyway the topic is about the 2017 premiership, like, learn or hate. Let's leave the other crap and grievances out of it.

Miscommunication? Well perhaps you'd better check what you write before you post. You stated "vfl". I replied. It was only when numbnuts jumped and called me a flog, that I suggested he re-read the conversation.

Anyway the topic is about the 2017 premiership, like, learn or hate. Let's leave the other crap and grievances out of it.
Enjoy your first!!!

Afl cherry popped!!

Well it looks like the thread has been derailed (I know, a shock, right?) and I haven't read all of the rest of it to see if any of my thoughts have been covered, so here goes:

Liked

The Tiger army
and the atmosphere they brought;

Seeing Brendon Gale's reactions
, especially when he reached across a few seats and embraced Michael and their Mother;

Richmond winning it after a fair drought
...I got into footy around the early-mid nineties and after the Eagles' era of dominance ended I always liked watching Richmond games for the atmosphere their crowd brought and the players such as Richo at the time. Shoot me...I like footy and as devastated as I am that the Eagles are not very relevant at the moment, I am secure enough to allow myself to enjoy the glory of other teams, especially when there is a compelling story behind it.

Learnt

Relentless pressure applied by a psychologically in-tune team of fleet-footed players who can cleanly pick up a ground ball, led by a few elite players in key positions, is the way to win the modern game. There's echoes of the Bulldogs with their pressure game, lack of tall forwards, and a drive provided by some unique bond that has developed within the club at the right time.

Psychology in this sport plays a huge role in success or failure, and while you cannot manufacture a strong culture according to some blueprint, the relationships within a club seem to be increasingly important in what has become a more robotic and economically-driven industry over the past 10-15 years.

Hated

BigFooty seems to have become overrun with people who hate, rather than love, this game.

You have to remember, victory for your club down the track would never be as sweet if the competition were not to have their time in the sun. Why people cannot seem to enjoy this kind of thing annoys me...obviously I'm not referring to fans of Adelaide (or the Swans supporters from last year). I enjoyed seeing Hardwick's untamed smile, the tears from Richo and others, the passion from the fans, the opening up by Bachar and others about what they felt made the difference in their season, Jack going berserk...

By all means criticise, but the hatred is astounding and frankly unwarranted on such a large scale. It is a lament I have for the world in general. Hate and opposition to your fellow man instead of recognising and celebrating differences and achievements.

Like humanity, the game will always evolve; both would frankly be boring if they didn't.
Well said.
So many people these days who are not happy just want to see other people unhappy simply for no other reason than selfishness.
And that doesn't just apply to footy either.

Look at who you beat.

Lolport 5th
Freo 14th

Bottom 4 teams at etihad - lost to the top half of the bottom 8 at etihad

The only top 8 team you beat away was a team 8th beat twice away and knocked out of the finals away.

You beat noone of note away from home - mcg queens

Remind me how the eagles travel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put 2 hungy on your lot

As soon as i thought you had done enough to win against gws. Was cheering you home bud. Was supporting you anyway - got nothing against richmond as a team and you guys have waited so long and been so staunch as supporters.

doesnt change the unfairness though. Vic teams - esp mcg tenants have a leg up. It still truly isnt a national league - its the vfl - trying to expand whilst doing the best it can to look after victorian clubs at the expense of interstate clubs in footy states.

And unless we keep bringing attention to it - the afl will just keep doing what its doing - because what ever changes when people say nothing?

Do you realise based purely on home games that an average interstate side such as yourself have an easier road to make finals than an average melbourne based side? Stop talking about leg ups. Interstate sides have a bigger leg up over Melbourne based sides during the season by virtue of having 10 true home games whereas most Melbourne sides have 7 at most. Suck it up.

Last edited:
doesnt change the unfairness though. Vic teams - esp mcg tenants have a leg up. It still truly isnt a national league - its the vfl - trying to expand whilst doing the best it can to look after victorian clubs at the expense of interstate clubs in footy states.
IIRC, you weren't forced at gunpoint to join the competition. You came begging.

OK, let's get a few facts straight.
Richmond now have 11 premierships, that's what all the history books will say as of now.
Secondly, Geelong chose to play at least some of their home games at the MCG, you can't pick and choose where you play home games during the H&A season, then complain when the AFL picks and chooses where you play your "home" finals.
As for the other complaints about the Tiges, suck it up, the Richmond Football Club are the 2017 Premiers.

Do you realise based purely on home games that an average interstate side such as yourself have an easier road to make finals than an average melbourne based side? Stop talking about leg ups. Interstate sides have a bigger leg up over Melbourne based sides during the season by virtue of having 10 true home games whereas most Melbourne sides have 7 at most. Suck it up.
So figure out a true home game as a +1

A true interstate away game as a -1

And a derby as a neutral 0

Add up an interstaters season and what do you get

Pretty close to zero right?

Just 50000km cramped in airplanes and away from home.

Now use this same formula for melbourne clubs.

Tack a few thousand km for travel and tell me whos got an advantage?

So figure out a true home game as a +1

A true interstate away game as a -1

And a derby as a neutral 0

Add up an interstaters season and what do you get

Pretty close to zero right?

Just 50000km cramped in airplanes and away from home.

Now use this same formula for melbourne clubs.

Tack a few thousand km for travel and tell me whos got an advantage?

I said home games. You mention away games. Nice deflection. If you do not believe interstate sides have a leg up during the H+A season in regards to home games you are massively, massively deluded. Hell, even one of your fellow Eagles fans agreed with that statement.

Lol

BEgging to bail you out

You flogtrumpets were busted arse broke.

You desperately needed our coin.

A private company - indian pacific formed the eagles

Nice revisionism though
Winners write history. Losers engage in revisionism.

Actually the league - after public outcry HAS changed things

When we had to play home finals in melbourne - after a few the public outcry in wa and sa was so loud that they changed it - despite the contract with the g demanding so many finals in melb. At first the vfl said it was impossible - which is almost always their first response. Then after prodding they found a compromise based on the fact that there is generally more finals played in melbourne than is required by the contract so they “banked” finals for years where there was less finals played there.

Theres been quite a few things changed after public outcry.

I can tell you something for certain - nothing changes if we dont speak up.

Get back in yer box dog

Speaking as a Victorian.. I couldn't give a rats arse
Putting myself in interstate supporters shoes... Yep I can well understand your frustration with the GF being played at the G
However as you are aware a 30 year deal has been signed... But even if it hadn't.... You would still not be getting GF's simply because non of the other AFL states have a stadium that can seat 100,000 ...and the AFL and the corporates will never back the amount of money that would be lost with a minimum of 20'000 less fans... Even at the MCG it isn't big enough as witnessed by all the tigers fans who couldn't get tickets.... On top of that S.A. and W.A will never build 100,000 seat stadiums because for most of the usage they would be half empty
....i understand your frustration... But there is no solution ...
Also I don't buy into this it's such an unfair disadvantage for interstate teams when you consider 01... Lions.. 02.... Lions...03... Lions... 04..Port ...05...Swans...06....Eagles... Those teams won... So maybe your interstate teams need to harden the f@#k up they are mentally fragile

By the way we Vics hated that era... Know what our teams did about it.... Got better....

That bloke Al, you know... the Kranky one? I'm worried he has high blood pressure :(

Who would have thought an awesome premiership win based on effort, heart, hunting in numbers and determination would get someone's panties so knotted! Especially when the losing team isn't even the one that person supports!!

Liked: Richmond Premiership win
Hated: A mediocre effort from Adelaide due to amazing Richmond pressure brings out the haters re: interstate grand final teams and MCG advantage blah blah farking blah!
Learned: That Kranky bloke either needs to not wear underwear so that they don't get twisted in knots or he needs to take some pills for his blood pressure.

I said home games. You mention away games. Nice deflection. If you do not believe interstate sides have a leg up during the H+A season in regards to home games you are massively, massively deluded. Hell, even one of your fellow Eagles fans agreed with that statement.
For every home game that theres an advantage

Theres an away game that neutralises that advantage.

Where as you guys leave the state a coupla times a season and host interstaters more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back