Game of Sloane (THE OFFICIAL HE IS STAYING thread) Thread now closed

Do you think Sloane will stay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are a lot more people in Melbourne than Adelaide. Therefore channel 7 get more viewers when the Vic teams are doing well, more so than the interstate teams. Therefore, "promote" Belinda to Melbourne in order to get Rory to follow her across the border to a mid-table Melbourne side like St Kilda to give them a boost up the ladder and bingo - more ratings.

On your first point, that is reflected in the number of SA players (that played during the given season) since our first flag in 1997.

1997 = 24 SA players, played during 1997.
1998 = 26
1999 = 25
2000 = 25
2001 = 26
2002 = 25
2003 = 26
2004 = 24
2005 = 22
2006 = 22
2007 = 20
2008 = 16
2009 = 15
2010 = 17
2011 = 16
2012 = 15
2013 = 15
2014 = 14
2015 = 11
2016 = 8
2017 = 9

On your second point, current state-by-state breakdowns of SA/WA teams

Adel - 23 Vic, 2 WA, 11 SA, 1 Qld, 2 NSW, 1 Tas, 1 NT, 0 ACT.
Port - 18 Vic, 5 WA, 12 SA, 1 Qld, 2 NSW, 0 Tas, 1 NT, 1 ACT.
Freo - 13 Vic, 16 WA, 4 SA, 2 Qld, 0 NSW, 2 Tas, 1 NT, 0 ACT.
WC - 10 Vic, 19 WA, 7 SA, 0 Qld, 0 NSW, 0 Tas, 0 NT, 0 ACT.
Are we taking into account the start up concessions that we had as a clubs in practically getting a first crack at club greats in Ricciuto, Smart, Hart, Rehn, Pitmann, A. Jarman, McDermott, McGuiness, Modra et al?

I think its pretty simplistic to look at it purely based on numbers. During the early to mid 2000s we definitely preferred SA players and practically ignored a lot of other better interstate players. The end result is that we wasted best talent this club every had during their prime years. How many 300 AFL game players do other clubs have that have been around since stone age? We had a large group from the get go practically.

This is probably just confirmation bias, but as a Vice Captain, Sloane has been very quiet of late. His twitter profile is still him and numbnuts Dangerfield in their junior club guernseys. No postings of late re Smith, Jacobs, Gov. Havent seen him front the media like Talia, Jenkins, Betts and others.
Thought the same thing.

If we want to win the flag in 2018 we can't trade Sloane. With Lever going and Smith down, we would be 3 quality players down for 2018.

Unless we bring in at least 2 quality players, we will be going backwards right when we are contenders.

Hawks lost a grand final and Buddy 3 weeks later in 2012.

The next 3 years worked out pretty good for them!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we taking into account the start up concessions that we had as a clubs in practically getting a first crack at club greats in Ricciuto, Smart, Hart, Rehn, Pitmann, A. Jarman, McDermott, McGuiness, Modra et al?

I think its pretty simplistic to look at it purely based on numbers. During the early to mid 2000s we definitely preferred SA players and practically ignored a lot of other better interstate players. The end result is that we wasted best talent this club every had during their prime years. How many 300 AFL game players do other clubs have that have been around since stone age? We had a large group from the get go practically.

Did we really? Let's look at our first rounders in that time:

2000 draft we grabbed Angwin ahead of Daniel Motlop, Shaun Burgoyne, Scott Thompson and Kane Cornes.

2001 we drafted Brent Reilly, although from what I can tell onky 3 SA based players drafted, none before about 35.

2002 Jericho was our first pick at 32, we also redrafted Shirley and drafted Begley.

2003 we drafted Fergus Watts ahead of Sam Butler, Tim Schmidt and Brad Symes

2004 we drafted John Meesen ahead of Sean Russling, Danny Meyer, Adam Thompson, Angus Monfries, Cam Wood, Jordan Russel. Of note, we then drafted van Berlo ahead of Adam Hartlett before grabbing Chad Gibson.

2005 we drafted Richard Douglas, before Pfeiffer, with cleve Hughes, Nick Lower before Bernie Vince went to us at 32.

Now the SA talent was admittedly very hit and miss during that time, but to say we preferenced SA talent during this period over Victorian is wrong, 5 of 6 first rounders went on Victorians, 1 of which worked out. Now it's clear we can't go SA only, but I think we perhaps need to be putting more time and effort into identifying and drafting SA talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes and Sloane the business is dead. Closed off all the social media and website under construction.

I'm calling it. This thread needs a poll.
Okay now this IS worrying

Don’t reckon it would be because each of them suddenly think that the other is a flog

It's simple: are you planning on leaving next year as a FA?

Yes/no

1) Yes: ok we need to trade you now.
2) No: ok sign extension here

But I don't want to sign just yet.

3) ok, please refer to point 1.

What we can't do is sit back and "hope" he intends to stay.
4) refuse to be traded? OK, we are going public with your intentions. happy to still play you if you perform but no more media BS and speculation.

So Burton is 'comfortable with where things are at with Sloane'...hmmm, I've heard that exact terminology before.

I hope that means he's getting traded for 7 and 8 because if it means we are going to cross our fingers and hope he stays, or he says he wants to stay but just thinking it through then we are bloody idiots.

If Sloane goes for a rubbish compo pick with no attempt to trade him early OR exposing him publicly I won't forgive any of Fagan, Reid or Burton.

Stop being so bloody weak AFC, these players and managers are making fools of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back