Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 2016 Luke Beveridge

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • 2017 Damien Hardwick

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about the recent Grand Final win and how Hardwick achieved it. He inherited a poor list in a club that was $5 million in debt. In 8 years he has rebuilt the list during the birth of GWS (so they were pillaging the top picks), made finals 4 of the last 5 seasons, developed two Brownlow winners, a Coleman medallist and multiple AA footballers and just achieved the ultimate.
Then we have Chris Scott. He inherited a premiership list (let's face it, it was Bombers team) and won a flag in his first year 2011. Since then, they have traded to maintain a position, but, the longer his tenure has gone on, they have either gone backwards or tread water.
So it begs the question, one coach had to rebuild a list, learn and develop, the other was provided a top end list with appropriate resources already there. Is Chris Scott the worst premiership coach since 2000 (or of modern times)?

The Scotts are some of the poorest coaches for the game, antics in the box, the 'how dare u ask me a question' attitude at pressers after a loss, etc. Both have a lot to learn to be ambassadors of the game.

But I'll defend Chris on his record, like Bucks there is only really one way to go if u inherit a team at the top.

And let's be honest if Hardwick hadn't been on a long contract and too expensive to sack, he may well have gone at the end of last year.

Hey tiger fans, Was the OP Dimma out or in last year?

The board backed him in. They were proven correct, that's all that matters. That's why they run the club and fans are fans. Did yo answer the poll?

The Scotts are some of the poorest coaches for the game, antics in the box, the 'how dare u ask me a question' attitude at pressers after a loss, etc. Both have a lot to learn to be ambassadors of the game.

But I'll defend Chris on his record, like Bucks there is only really one way to go if u inherit a team at the top.

And let's be honest if Hardwick hadn't been on a long contract and too expensive to sack, he may well have gone at the end of last year.

Not being cheeky, but, Bucks hasn't won a flag yet. Scott won one in his first year, what has he done since? Is he that greater coach?

After reading the thread title, and before opening to see the poll options, I already had Chris Scott in mind.

However, as others have said the fact is that C. Scott is an AFL coach with a decent record since 2011 - there have been many worse coaches around since 2000 (e.g. Neeld), and there have also been coaches arguably better than Chris Scott who haven't been as lucky to win a premiership (Neil Craig, Ross Lyon).

A lot of things need to go right in a season (and in the years leading up to it) to win a premiership. It just goes to show how impressive coaches like Clarko, Bomber and Leigh Matthews have been since 2000.

Rofl.

Somebody went partying with Swanny on the weekend.

Time to go on a cleanse mate.

You guys have got up to 10 players on the table in a desperate attempt to inject outside pace and lift the skill of the team. That suggests the strategy/game plan and recruiting has failed in Scotts attempt to "jag a flag".

On behalf of the AFC I would like to apologise to big footy for not putting a lid on this garbage by defeating Richmond on Saturday.

Tigers fans - did scott need clarko's advice ? No he did not. Horse ? Beveridge ?

So who is the worst premiership coach now ? Dimma.
Adelaide fans were already celebrating their premiership in the preview thread, so I don't think we need lessons in putting a lid on it.

Clarkson and Hardwick are friends. I really don't think any of their chats were the difference between winning and losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On behalf of the AFC I would like to apologise to big footy for not putting a lid on this garbage by defeating Richmond on Saturday.

Tigers fans - did scott need clarko's advice ? No he did not. Horse ? Beveridge ?

So rebuilding a list and learning has no currency then? Rather than teeing off, at least try answer the OP with a semblance of intelligence. Pretty simple stuff. I know we had no power rangers stance during finals, but, we clearly did something right.

Adelaide fans were already celebrating their premiership in the preview thread, so I don't think we need lessons in putting a lid on it.

Clarkson and Hardwick are friends. I really don't think any of their chats were the difference between winning and losing.

Correct. What did Jenkins say to Dangerfield again?

I'd say Hardwick. Been rubbish every year until 2017. One good year v all the others not good.
Scott has got his sides to be competitive all the time.

So making finals and the player development has been no good then? So, if i recall the headlines we had at the time when Hardwick took over the club "worst list since Fitzroy". 8 years later, premiership coach.

Obviously every premiership is exceptional. You can't just say 'he is no good' average thread.

Not what the OP is about. Its how the flags have been achieved is the question. One got one in his first year as coach, the other 8 years later.

I see your pre-emptive strike OP.

Nah, it's a legitimate look at things. The fact it may make some people feel a touch uncomfortable or upset I couldn't care.

a sign of a good coach is to seek and improve himself not just those around him so based on your statement yes dimma would be 100% be a better coach for seeking further advice and knowledge!

The 2011 argument doesn't fly with me. That same list, with Ablett, got smashed the previous Prelim final. Scott comes in, Ablett is gone so the team is theoretically worse, and they win the Grand Final against a team who lost 2 matches for the season. And that was to Geelong both times.

Richmond fans are getting creative with just how many "is X (Richmond team/person) the best ever?"

You guys can win a premiership and enjoy it without having to be the best of all time in every area.

You already had the AFL gift Dusty a clean sweep (all deserved except norm smith) which gives him the best individual season ever but that's it.

Back