Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Lever stuff is borderline bush league. Adelaide chucking the baby out with the cot and Lever camp sticking to their 'I'm going home for family reasons...' line. Serious amateur hour.

On a side note: I can't wait to see what Melbourne are going to have to cough up for him. And that's not me having a go at Melbourne, just honestly interested in what they are definitely going to have to part with. Whilst the price tag salary wise is arguable, what they lose re: draft picks has the potential to be huge. This wont get done quickly.

Melbourne must really think they're in for a tilt and their list is in good nick. Fascinating.

You don't think a high workrate, tackling and good kicking is needed for our team?
Yeah, Smith may not JPK style at the stoppages, but he has a good work-rate and plays pretty good defensively when in the middle.
One of those players GWS really missed during the finals. Not sure what the non-selection was about, but it hurt them.

I'd be quite happy to add Smith.
Even Smith & Stringer.
Pick 11 to Dogs for Stringer and Dogs 2nd
Our 2nd for Smith.

11 = Stringer & Smith, plus an upgrade on our 2nd.

Would happily take Smith for a second rounder.

He has a shockingly s**t goatee, however.
Hooker has a man bun.
We are a forgiving club.

I'm perfectly okay with getting Smith but expectations are becoming at odds with reality. He's a nice player but he isn't even best-22 at GWS anymore. He also hasn't improved in years.

Personally think he is best 22 at GWS, Cameron has just selected an incredibly unbalanced forward line. Stevie J shouldn't have been selected a single game before Smith this year.

Not to mention the things on Darcy Parish's head and Joe's top lip.... We do let a lot slide
Culture is poor.
Dyson is pushing it with his dreads and microwaved steak. It comes from the top.

Pick 11 for Stringer and 25
Pick 28 for Smith
Pick 25 for Saad

Gleeson Hartley Francis
McKenna Hurley Saad
Parish Merrett McGrath
Stringer Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Hooker Stewart
TBC Heppell Smith
Langford Laverde Zaka Goddard

not too shabby.

I'm perfectly okay with getting Smith but expectations are becoming at odds with reality. He's a nice player but he isn't even best-22 at GWS anymore. He also hasn't improved in years.

Now he would certainly be an upgrade over Green or Colyer but those talking about him as though he is a gun player might need to temper their expectations a tad.
Before his injury this year he was clear best 22. started like a house on fire. He is a very good player and he would flourish with us I reckon.

Now he would certainly be an upgrade over Green or Colyer but those talking about him as though he is a gun player might need to temper their expectations a tad.

Most definitely is best 22 at GWS. Only injury has derailed this season, and couldn't get up to play in finals.

Im not saying he is some absolute superstar, but he walks into our best 22 very easily and improves us. If he's interested in coming here, we should be too.

Could also get in on the Lever trade

MFC give up 1st and 2nd to AFC
AFC give up Lever

EFC give up 1st
AFC give up AFC 1st and MFC 2nd
we make off like bandits in terms of points, but Adelaide do get the luxury of 10 and 11.

AFC 1st - Stringer
MFC 2nd - Saad
EFC 2nd - Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upgrade on Coyler and Green to start with. Slots straight into best 22

Runs both ways
capable of stints through the midfield
Actually tackles
Can actually use the ball well

Not to mention, he gives us the following keys to some doors.
Intel on GWS - one of THE teams to beat over the next few years.
A popular player to add to Stewart who adds another string to our bow of getting some of the GWS stars if they want to come back to Melbourne, why not move to a club that already has some of your mates.

I don't know why you are against getting a highly talented player in, if it isn't going to cost us much. What would we get that adds to our structure that we wouldn't get if we managed to get Smith?

Has not played midfield in any meaningful sense.

Upgrades you mentioned are already on the list.

He's another small, light player with no grunt whatsoever so he's hardly an ideal player to commit to for the long term.

If we can get him for the right price and there are no other options then so be it but that's not how it will work. We have to beat Carlton to him and if he then nominates us we have to get the deal done otherwise we can kiss goodbye landing good players (and we would truly be hard to deal with). That almost certainly means compromising deals for more useful players.

It's about the most unexciting trade I can think of.

Did he get injured in Round 23?

From what I understand, it was the knee issue he had all year, make the comparison with Johnson, could get up but then couldn't back it up.

Or, hell maybe the club was aware he was leaving and didn't play him.

Has not played midfield in any meaningful sense.

Upgrades you mentioned are already on the list.

He's another small, light player with no grunt whatsoever so he's hardly an ideal player to commit to for the long term.

If we can get him for the right price and there are no other options then so be it but that's not how it will work. We have to beat Carlton to him and if he then nominates us we have to get the deal done otherwise we can kiss goodbye landing good players (and we would truly be hard to deal with). That almost certainly means compromising deals for more useful players.

It's about the most unexciting trade I can think of.

I understand your point, im assuming laverde and Langford are your colyer and green replacements?

Just on the bolded, a trade doesn't have to be exciting to be good for the club, example is Stewart.

From what I understand, it was the knee issue he had all year, make the comparison with Johnson, could get up but then couldn't back it up.

Or, hell maybe the club was aware he was leaving and didn't play him.
Or he got dropped?

I'm not as strongly against Devon as BrunoV but I'm not overly excited by him either.

He feels like another Howlett type. Can play mid or forward but can't do either particularly well.

Are you drunk?

Or he got dropped?

Cameron has dropped out-of-form forward Stevie Johnson and was unable to pick fellow attacker Devon Smith because of a knee injury.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/07/giants-ponder-late-changes-afl-final

I just think people are reading into his form a bit too much from this year. He is a good player who would make us better.

I know that he doesn't fit the big bodied midfielder type people are obsessed with on this board, but he is an upgrade on at least 2 players in our best 22 and is at a good age for our list.
We were at our best when we had our small forwards in form, if our game style is dependent on these guys, id like to upgrade to the best available, who appears to be interested in coming to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back