Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 2016 Luke Beveridge

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • 2017 Damien Hardwick

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond fans are getting creative with just how many "is X (Richmond team/person) the best ever?"

You guys can win a premiership and enjoy it without having to be the best of all time in every area.

You already had the AFL gift Dusty a clean sweep (all deserved except norm smith) which gives him the best individual season ever but that's it.

Nothing to do with it. OP is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

It's Hardwick.

Worst win percentage of all coaches (even when including Worsfold and Roos' records at Essendon and Melbourne respectively), all others have won Finals in multiple years.

Scott is pretty close though.

I originally said Hardwick...here's why.

Since 2000, firstly eliminate all multiple winning flag coaches as doing it more than once immediately puts you out = Sheedy, Matthews, Thompson, Clarkson, Malthouse. They in essence are the "top 5" since 2000.

Then eliminate those who coached a flag but also got to another GF. They showed they could regroup and coach to the ultimate game again, so I eliminate = Williams, Roos, Worsfold, Longmire.

Then of who's left what have they done - Scott gets eliminated next as multiple top 4 finishes shows he can get close.

Beveridge goes next as he got a flag very quickly from a list that had the look of going nowhere.

That leaves Hardwick - seven years of nothing and then one flag. He has the worst overall record.

Last edited:
You guys have got up to 10 players on the table in a desperate attempt to inject outside pace and lift the skill of the team. That suggests the strategy/game plan and recruiting has failed in Scotts attempt to "jag a flag".

No we don’t. That’s pure BS from Robbo.
“Up to 10” sounds awfully like when he speculated on Pies players self reporting. He didn’t have a clue then either.

Hardwick for sure. And his team was the worst premiership side since 2000 to boot. Doesn't really change much though.

No real science to your answer. Just a bit of mindless rage.

It's Hardwick.

Worst win percentage of all coaches (even when including Worsfold and Roos' records at Essendon and Melbourne respectively), all others have won Finals in multiple years.

Scott is pretty close though.

But again if you read and understand the OP you would see where I explained where both coaches have come from which actually answers your statement (or did you just see the title and dive in?)

You guys have got up to 10 players on the table in a desperate attempt to inject outside pace and lift the skill of the team. That suggests the strategy/game plan and recruiting has failed in Scotts attempt to "jag a flag".

So what about the other coaches, they weren’t trying to win? They didn’t fail? Longmire has had a rolls Royce team for 5 years and hasn’t won since the first flag. Worsfold had cousins, Judd Kerr and cox - was he not trying to win another flag and failed?

Since 2000, firstly eliminate all multiple winning flag coaches as doing it more than once immediately puts you out = Sheedy, Matthews, Thompson, Clarkson, Malthouse. They in essence are the "top 5" since 2000.

Then eliminate those who coached a flag but also got to another GF. They showed they could regroup and coach to the ultimate game again, so I eliminate = Williams, Roos, Worsfold, Longmire.

Then of who's left what have they done - Scott gets eliminated next as multiple top 4 finishes shows he can get close.

Beveridge goes next as he got a flag very quickly from a list that had the look of going nowhere.

That leaves Hardwick - seven years of nothing and then one flag. He has the worst overall record.

But rebuilding a club v inheriting a list? Just looking at an overall winning percentage doesn't really answer much as it doesn't address the OP.

The 2011 argument doesn't fly with me. That same list, with Ablett, got smashed the previous Prelim final. Scott comes in, Ablett is gone so the team is theoretically worse, and they win the Grand Final against a team who lost 2 matches for the season. And that was to Geelong both times.

You’re talking to brick walls mate. Doesn’t matter that the best player of the last 20 years left, that two teams at least had overtaken us, that an all Australian defender and all Australian forward were no longer good enough to command a place, that our then-best key forward missed the last 3 quarters of the grand final. It was handed to us on a platter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what about the other coaches, they weren’t trying to win? They didn’t fail? Longmire has had a rolls Royce team for 5 years and hasn’t won since the first flag. Worsfold had cousins, Judd Kerr and cox - was he not trying to win another flag and failed?

Longmire at least got to another GF. Worsfold also did the same.

You’re talking to brick walls mate. Doesn’t matter that the best player of the last 20 years left, that two teams at least had overtaken us, that an all Australian defender and all Australian forward were no longer good enough to command a place, that our then-best key forward missed the last 3 quarters of the grand final. It was handed to us on a platter.

Given this years outcome, should you reload on guys like Ablett or take a three year hit, get picks in and get more kids? Back Scott in to reset like Hawks and Clarko?

Longmire at least got to another GF. Worsfold also did the same.

So what? Do nearly flags count for extra?

Scott has made it to more prelims than worsfold. Who made 3 in 12 seasons. Scott has made 4 in 7. Scott’s team hasn’t had to completely prolapse and start from the ground up again.

If you somehow think we’ve had a team capable of winning since 2011 you’re sadly mistaken. We were a borderline chance in 2013 but it’s pretty obvious by then Hawthorn were a stronger side.

But again if you read and understand the OP you would see where I explained where both coaches have come from which actually answers your statement (or did you just see the title and dive in?)

I read the OP, it doesn't change the answer to this question.

The answer is Hardwick, but it's clearly better to be the answer to this question than the alternative question, "Who is the best coach never to win a flag?"

It is obviously Clarko.

Only premiership coach without a coaches award :rolleyes:

Clarkson not winning that award is more of a reflection on the talent that he has had at his disposal than him being a good coach or not kinda like Phil Jackson at the Bulls and later on at the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq.

Now that Hawthorn has lost Hodge, Mitchell and co he doesn't wanna do the hard yards and is desperately trying to poach ready made proven players (Tom Mitchell, O'Meara, Vickery etc...) from other clubs because he realises how difficult it is to build a Premiership list from the ground up when you don't have access to the best youngsters in the land (Top 10/Top 20 picks)

I wish Clarkson would go to draft for me to accurately asses how good he really is when he's not surrounded by multiple Top 10/Top 20 picks (Hodge, Franklin, Rioli, Roughead, Lewis, etc..)

Sense, reason and we'll thought out. Agree

Given this years outcome, should you reload on guys like Ablett or take a three year hit, get picks in and get more kids? Back Scott in to reset like Hawks and Clarko?

Hawks are no guarantee to bounce back up.

Back