• 2012 John Longmire

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • 2016 Luke Beveridge

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • 2017 Damien Hardwick

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hawks are no guarantee to bounce back up.

Agree with that. Both Cats and Hawks are at an interesting junction. This trade period either kills you guys for the next five or see's you challenge for maybe another two.
But this is where the test comes in on Scotts ability. Clarkson at least started playing kids once the season was shot and nearly pulled off making finals. Is Scott prepared to do hard yards? Or does he continue the fashion of trading picks for the now while he has Danger and co? Keeping in mind of some signifcant retirements over the last two years for the cats.

Players are more important than coaches.
Maybe stick to celebrating?

Wow. Maybe you should stick to other hobbies other than footy?

Lets make this a fair poll, every premiership coach from 2000-2017 has now been listed in the poll

All you have done is muddy the waters of the OP and create a shitfight.

Check their records with their premierships out of it

But that's the point. Did you not understand the OP? One guy builds a list, the other inherits a list.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
look at the threads early 2011 - everyone thought Geelong were gone. How many clubs could recover from losing their coach, captain, and best player? Morale was shot to s**t, no one gave Geelong a chance. Sure he took over a good list, but he completely switched the game plan, got some new young talent, and the rest is history.

There have been many occasions of coaches taking over a good list and not winning a flag. Buckley for one, Ayres for another. But for some reason Scott gets no credit for doing what no one thought he could.

Will never understand the Scott hate. Don't get it but eh.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not a fan of CS never-the-less I have to admit he has done reasonably well considering the talent he has had to work with. Chris hasn't had the luxury of inheriting multiple Top 20 talent and has had to get by by trading for mid-tier players from other clubs. Out of 10 I'd give him a 7 comfortably ahead of at least half of the other coaches on the list.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
The 2011 argument doesn't fly with me. That same list, with Ablett, got smashed the previous Prelim final. Scott comes in, Ablett is gone so the team is theoretically worse, and they win the Grand Final against a team who lost 2 matches for the season. And that was to Geelong both times.

And Essendon beat St. Kilda 3 times in a row during 2009 and 2010. Just because Collingwood was too s**t to beat one team dosen't mean Geelong was the better team.

Chris Scott has coached Geelong in 142 games, for 102 wins and 1 flag.
Hardwick has coached Richmond in 157 games, for 74 wins and 1 flag.

And again, as in the OP, one rebuilt a list, the other inherited.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know I'll likely cop it for this but for me it's Mark Williams. In the space of four years finished 3rd, 1st, 1st and 1st, for one GF appearance and obviously to be on this list, the one flag.

Finishes 3rd in 2001 and goes out in straight sets with a loss to Hawthorn (who had finished 6th) at home in the semi final.
Finishes 18-4 in 2002 and loses home ground prelim in the first week of the finals.
Finishes 18-4 in 2003 and again drops home ground prelim by losing in the first week of the finals.

I know they ran into the Brisbane era, but this was a very good side that won a hell of a lot of games over 4 years, finished top three times and had ONE GF appearance (win) to show for it. Ultimately it wasn't even Brisbane that caused the bulk of their pain. Brisbane beat them in 2001 after finishing 2nd, but it was the Hawthorn loss that put them out in straight sets. Losing to Collingwood at home in week one in 2002 sent them to Brisbane for an away prelim and in 2003 they avoided Brisbane in the finals altogether.

I'd feel different if they'd made multiple GF appearances and lost to a dominant Brisbane each time, but for all their ladder position and obvious talent, Williams didn't even get them to the GF from top spot twice and third spot once.

All you have done is muddy the waters of the OP and create a shitfight.

In fairness, if you're going to create a topic called "The worst premiership coach since 2000" and limit it to a single choice of yes or no for Chris Scott then it would be expected that you'd cop flak for it.

Otherwise, reword it to - Is Chris Scott the worst premiership coach since 2000

Back