News Ned Guy List Manager to leave after MD

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me what this means?

Basically he going back to his Old Job which was Mostly Looking at Draft Prospects which he was very good at before he came List Manager

Don't mind the appointment but it may suggest that Smith hasn't chosen Collingwood. If he did, is there a conflict of interest issue?

How? He has not Started or be our List Manager during the Trade Period

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

It sounds to me that we're going to be using a system similar to the one Pelchen developed called STAR.

If it's the same it'll operate as a range of free lance scouts submitting data to a central system that we access and draw from on players we're interested in.

IMO, it has its pros and cons, but is probably an efficient solution to the FD cap limits whereby we pay for the program not the actual scouts thereby increasing eyes on the ground whilst keeping the investment down.

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
reminds me a little of the Dan Richardson appointment at Richmond a couple of years back.
I know nothing about him so don't have a view one way or another, but it seems a good move to get Derek back to his scouting role which I feel he was generally quite good at.

Great name Ned - Ned Kelly, Ned Flanders and Ned Ryerson.

I wondered why we hadn't delisted anyone yet. This is why. Guy to come in and shake the joint up. Hopefully delist a lot of our crap

So we only De-List players after the Trade Period.

Guess we might hear more about Collingwood Chasing Now.

Though his work with us won't Start Offically after the Trade Period

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
reminds me a little of the Dan Richardson appointment at Richmond a couple of years back.
I know nothing about him so don't have a view one way or another, but it seems a good move to get Derek back to his scouting role which I feel he was generally quite good at.

Great name Ned - Ned Kelly, Ned Flanders and Ned Ryerson.
Ned Nederlander? Can't stand Martin Short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forgive my ignorance, but will he cease operating as a player manager once he begins his role at Collingwood? Surely there's going to be a conflict of interest here somewhere down the line?

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's what I was thinking. In any case, any of his clients being picked up by Collingwood this year will be seen as dodgy, whether it is or not.
I'll be happy if he just screws Carlton's salary cap by getting extra $ and contract years for Smith. (not saying Smith no good, just that you don't want to have any player to be on excess $ and years)

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
At the end of the day, the number 1 area that the club needs to be pumping resources into is list management and recruiting.

I think when we brought Hine on board, it was for his talent scouting abilities, not necessarily his list management capacity. Perhaps this means he can put more focus now on scouting.

It means that Dekka has been offered his old role as the head recruiter, which is what he’s actually good at. Hopefully he accepts, because from a talent id perspective he would be a big loss imo.

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Might be a good appt - don't know yet.
Question - was there a recruitment process or is it a "Toorak latte" job?

PS - if he's a full time employee, have to be on a fair salary to compete with a top player managers' $$

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I imagine he will be selling his business to avoid a conflict of interest.

McDonald Sports is owned by Alex McDonald (yes, the Hawthorn and Collingwood player) so assume Ned's client group would simply transfer to another of their managers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back