News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel, can't you see the difference in people taking responsibility?

I have no problem with them taking responsibility. I have an issue with people believing that Hawthorn do no wrong, and ignore the fact they have made a mistake as long as they fix it quickly.

Not to mention that it appears there may not be anyone else capable on their board to fill the role of President, even on a temporary basis.

Last edited:
The process is to come. You don't hire presidents they are appointed form elected board members and its an honorary position. The members need to ratify it and the board members at most clubs have to be club members which limits the field for board members and therefore presidents. That is the process. It is very different from a CEO or even a coaching appointment.
that's why I had 2 x :) after my post..

I have no problem with them taking responsibility. I have an issue with people believing that Hawthorn do no wrong, and ignore the fact they have made a mistake as long as they fix it quickly.
I'm not sure why to be honest. It's bad they erred. It's good they fixed it (assuming it is fixed which only time will tell). What more can they do? Make mistakes and not fix them? All organisations will make mistakes in appointments - it isn't an exact science. If they keep doing it or cant see or admit their errors they have to examine the people and processes behind the appointments.

The process is to come. You don't hire presidents they are appointed form elected board members.

Incorrect. He has stated just now that he will be staying on for a full term.

Kennett also appointed Garvey to the board originally. Not to mention Garvey was an Essendon supporter. And they have lost two other board members who were Hawks through and through.

But it's all hunky dory.

- 3 CEOs in three years.
- 3 Presidents in three years.

Last edited:
Can someone clear this up for me? I have noticed everyone saying there’s been no leaks from the club ever since pert left? I’m not from Melbourne so I don’t hear as much of the rumour mill so I’m a little oblivious. I know pert was the one around saying pies and afl have a drug issue, but where has the talk about perts big mouth come from? Is he well known to leak all info and if so what were his motives??
Yes he's rumoured to be the source of leaks including the drug related one just before the first game in 2016.
As for motives, I have no idea why.

It looks more likely we'll get Lethlean. Hawks with Kennett. Lethlean has ruled himself out of the running for the WB. Carlton is rumoured to be smoky even though they have a CEO. Not sure what I think of Lethlean. It'd be an appointment which lacks imagination but he has the credentials. I'm not sure i'd consider it groundbreaking though.

They could have hired Mark Evans.
Possibly. I suspect AFL money is hard to compete with but in any case I think it is clear they made a poor appointment. It happens. How often and what you do about it are important. As I said, time will tell for Hawthorn now. Having been well run may buy them som e leeway but it doesn't make them currently impenetrable.

It looks more likely we'll get Lethlean. Hawks with Kennett. Lethlean has ruled himself out of the running for the WB. Carlton is rumoured to be smoky even though they have a CEO. Not sure what I think of Lethlean. It'd be an appointment which lacks imagination but he has the credentials. I'm not sure i'd consider it groundbreaking though.
Kennett is (acting?) president. Lethleen would be a CEO - 2 different roles.

I don't think it is incorrect unless I am missing something. He can state what he wants but they have a constitution. Without having intimate knowledge of theirs it is usually the case that a president has to be an elected board member. He isn't on the board as far as I know. That being the case, the members have to vote. He could possibly fill a casual vacancy in classic Collingwood 21st century mode but a board member would have to vacate. I thought the president was remaining as a board member - at least the article I read said he was to remain as a director.
But it's all hunky dory.
Who is actually saying that?

Kennett also appointed Garvey to the board originally. Not to mention Garvey was an Essendon supporter. And they have lost two other board members who were Hawks through and through.

But it's all hunky dory.

- 3 CEOs in three years.

3 Premierships in three years.

Hawthorn sack a CEO just 5 months after the realise it wasn't the right call.

Meanwhile after 4 years of non finals appearances..........

Chalk and cheese.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it is incorrect unless I am missing something. He can state what he wants but they have a constitution. Without having intimate knowledge of theirs it is usually the case that a president has to be an elected board member. He isn't on the board as far as I know. That being the case, the members have to vote. He could possibly fill a casual vacancy in classic Collingwood 21st century mode but a board member would have to vacate. I thought the president was remaining as a board member - at least the article I read said he was to remain as a director.
Who is actually saying that?

A different board member has resigned to facilitate Kennett joining.

If not Lethlean, let's look at Tim Silvers. Stepped into an interim role at the Hawks before the recently sacked CEO. Has been at Hawthorn a long time and could bring something worthwhile across.

If not Lethlean, let's look at Tim Silvers. Stepped into an interim role at the Hawks before the recently sacked CEO. Has been at Hawthorn a long time and could bring something worthwhile across.

Isn't he the one that stepped down citing insufficient commercial experience, or do I have him confused with someone else?

Isn't he the one that stepped down citing insufficient commercial experience, or do I have him confused with someone else?
I'm not sure. Could be. They kept him on in another role, perhaps to help develop him further in the area. Would be interesting to see what he could bring to the club though.

But it's all hunky dory.

- 3 CEOs in three years.
But they never ever make mistakes.
Oh no.
What's going on there.

Plus the inglorious Lewis exit.

Ty Vickery :)
Maybe he can collect debts that the board stuffed up with

Don Scott on trade radio ripping Kennett and Hawks to shreds for their handling of it.
Just a little family quarrel.

Nothing to see here.... moving on :D

It is amusing

No not ground breaking but IMO certainly a step up from Pert so long he keeps his nose out of the FD that'll be an already improvement

A different board member has resigned to facilitate Kennett joining.
Ok, in that case he would be filing a casual vacancy which runs for the original board member's term and then he has to face election. It's academic I guess because he will be elected if he stands.

An interesting section in Caro's article on Trigg

Lethlean's wider circle, including former senior AFL colleagues, are insisting the Carlton job is his if he wants it. Collingwood are aware of this and even though president Eddie McGuire has shown a keenness to install him in Gary Pert's former role, the Magpies' hierarchy, led by interim CEO Peter Murphy and a newly empowered board of directors, are insisting he run a proper executive process for a change.

So although Lethlean would love the Collingwood job, Carlton are seemingly the birds in the hand. The Collingwood executive search has not even begun. Lethlean has also been sounded out for – and reportedly rejected – the Western Bulldogs job. He has also seemed unwilling to entertain a number of senior football operational roles.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...looks-to-be-under-threat-20171005-gyuvny.html

She made this up. They've interviewed multiple candidates and there has been due process the whole time.
An interesting section in Caro's article on Trigg
Lethlean's wider circle, including former senior AFL colleagues, are insisting the Carlton job is his if he wants it. Collingwood are aware of this and even though president Eddie McGuire has shown a keenness to install him in Gary Pert's former role, the Magpies' hierarchy, led by interim CEO Peter Murphy and a newly empowered board of directors, (TKiL says - thank God) are insisting he run a proper executive process for a change (TKil says - what an indictment). So although Lethlean would love the Collingwood job, Carlton are seemingly the birds in the hand. The Collingwood executive search has not even begun. Lethlean has also been sounded out for – and reportedly rejected – the Western Bulldogs job. He has also seemed unwilling to entertain a number of senior football operational roles.
EFA - So who is correct? Figjam? or Caro? as in Mkcaptain's quote

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back