2017 Memberships

Remove this Banner Ad

DC1q02AXkAAKgMV.jpg:large

Is that considered a membership?

I really struggle to understand why 3-game packages & pets etc all get lumped into the membership totals.

Full memberships should be the only "bragging" statistic given out, anything else is just falsely inflating the real value overall.

This is not to denigrate international, interstate or 3-gamers, just think a true measuring stick should be established.

I really struggle to understand why 3-game packages & pets etc all get lumped into the membership totals.

Full memberships should be the only "bragging" statistic given out, anything else is just falsely inflating the real value overall.

This is not to denigrate international, interstate or 3-gamers, just think a true measuring stick should be established.
wholeheartedly agree....although considering i live interstate i feel my 'interstate' membership is legit in comparison to a 3 game package.

Was going to post this in the Think Tank Thread, so hope posting it here is suitable.

It seems most clubs, including us, just roll out membership options without much innovation.

Perhaps we could be ahead of the pack and create something new for a change.

Customised Membership

I travel a fair bit with work, but generally organise my trips well in advance. Many people would also know regular functions that they would be attending during the year, such as weddings, birthdays, bar mitzvahs, etc.

Why not have a membership, that you can select which games you would like to attend, during the course of the year no matter where it is played.

Each game could have a monetary value attached (Blockbusters worth more & vice versa ). I would be happy to pay slightly more for this sort of membership, to ensure I get what suits me

As for clubs, boasting about membership numbers, ( 3 Game, Pet, seem somewhat irrelevant ), maybe it should be released as total membership dollars?

Last edited:

Are you a Member Sheik?

(a) Yes, I'm an interstate member

(b) my name is not Sheik

Meh, Stig still gets called Numbers. People will still think you are Satan.

Great to get an email from the club giving an invite to a young members function pre the doggies game, something like this and this level of engagement has been a long time coming. Can also bring along a mate for 40 bucks, this is inclusive of a 3 game membership. A great way to bring on the fence supporters into the fold!

I'm so sick of reading statements like these about what or whom a " true supporter " should be. People support the club in different ways. Some are members , some arent. Some attend games. some don't. Doesn't make them any less a " true supporter " than you are. Nor does having differing opinion make them less of a " true supporter". I'm sick of BS like this. Who the hell are you to decide who is and isn't a " true supporter " ? Rant over.
not a paid up member then? (I'm kidding!!!! ;))

I'm so sick of reading statements like these about what or whom a " true supporter " should be. People support the club in different ways. Some are members , some arent. Some attend games. some don't. Doesn't make them any less a " true supporter " than you are. Nor does having differing opinion make them less of a " true supporter". I'm sick of BS like this. Who the hell are you to decide who is and isn't a " true supporter " ? Rant over.
Disagree. What's the point of a supporter who doesn't have a membership and doesn't attend games?

Our books are dismal by all accounts and we're one of the most 'barracked' for teams around. Unfortunately a lot of the carlton barrackers don't jump on unless we're winning.

Disagree. What's the point of a supporter who doesn't have a membership and doesn't attend games?

Our books are dismal by all accounts and we're one of the most 'barracked' for teams around. Unfortunately a lot of the carlton barrackers don't jump on unless we're winning.
Some people can't afford it. Some people have other priorities, young families, they work weekends etc. Doesn't mean they're not true supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before I left Melbourne I was a captain's club level member year in, year out. Unfortunately, moving interstate, not having employment for periods of a time and having serious health issues has meant that I could no longer retain that level of membership. I'm now an interstate member. I would hope that, aside from seating priority for any finals that we play, I'm considered no less a fan of the football club now than when I was living in Melbourne.

Some people can't afford it. Some people have other priorities, young families, they work weekends etc. Doesn't mean they're not true supporters.
Depends what you consider support to mean I guess. I'd say the vast majority of non member, non game attending supporters are that due to reasons less noble than those you gave. Us losing being a pretty common one.

Well if u read properly in the first place a true supporter is not someone who starts turning up when we win and a true supporter is not someone who just turns up because w have a big name playing for us. Read it properly next time. If u think u are a true supporter because you start supporting when the club is winning then righto good for u. Read what i said properly next time.

Well if u read properly in the first place a true supporter is not someone who starts turning up when we win and a true supporter is not someone who just turns up because w have a big name playing for us. Read it properly next time. If u think u are a true supporter because you start supporting when the club is winning then righto good for u. Read what i said properly next time.

Don't think there's a "True Supporter" checklist, fella.

My opinion, the truest supporters are the ones who can't get to games but grab a membership anyway. I ain't one of them, but I take my hat off to them. Everyone else is in it for themselves one way or another - you're either buying discounted tickets or merchandise, or you're saving your money and watching the games on TV when you get time. Not everyone has the luxury of blowing hundreds of dollars on footy tickets every year, so I'm not going to begrudge the ones that pinch their pennies until they feel confident they won't be buying tickets to a s**t show.

Can't agree with you. As a paid up member for double digit years that attends double digit games every year I'm not just emotionally invested. I'm actually giving to the club.

Don't know how you can compare an armchair supporter or fair weather one.

It's not all about money I get that but those who pay are quantifiably contributing and some.

Don't think there's a "True Supporter" checklist, fella.

My opinion, the truest supporters are the ones who can't get to games but grab a membership anyway. I ain't one of them, but I take my hat off to them. Everyone else is in it for themselves one way or another - you're either buying discounted tickets or merchandise, or you're saving your money and watching the games on TV when you get time. Not everyone has the luxury of blowing hundreds of dollars on footy tickets every year, so I'm not going to begrudge the ones that pinch their pennies until they feel confident they won't be buying tickets to a s**t show.

If u read the post properly in the first place then u might understand. I live interstate and i buy a membership. If u buy one or dont buy 1 good for u. All that is needed is the absolute cheapest membership and u can pay it off anyway. I am sure 3 or $5 a month most people would be able to afford to pay. Even watching them on TV still supports the club because the more viewers means more chance of better TV slots. My point was if u need a big name midfield in the team or only start supporting the team when we are winning then thats not actual supporter. As u said yourself u can support in many ways .

Can't agree with you. As a paid up member for double digit years that attends double digit games every year I'm not just emotionally invested. I'm actually giving to the club.

Don't know how you can compare an armchair supporter or fair weather one.

It's not all about money I get that but those who pay are quantifiably contributing and some.

No question. A supporter who actually supports the club financially is a different beast to others.

No question. A supporter who actually supports the club financially is a different beast to others.

Can't agree - what if they simply can't afford it?

Not everyone has well paying jobs. A lot of people really struggle to make ends meet. Some may well love the club more than those who can afford a membership.

Additionally, memberships on their own don't keep a club living. Those who subscribe to Foxtel , or even watch free to air, are indirectly supporting Carlton financially.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't agree - what if they simply can't afford it?

Not everyone has well paying jobs. A lot of people really struggle to make ends meet. Some may well love the club more than those who can afford a membership.

Additionally, memberships on their own don't keep a club living. Those who subscribe to Foxtel , or even watch free to air, are indirectly supporting Carlton financially.

Fair point re wages etc. But there are various options for memberships, including 3 games ones, interstate ones. If you really can't afford a 3 game membership or an interstate one, fine. But I think those are the exception.

Of course there are other revenue streams but i think it's as much about the principle than the actual $$$ amount. Make a direct contribution to the club, even if it's only a small one.

Fair point re wages etc. But there are various options for memberships, including 3 games ones, interstate ones. If you really can't afford a 3 game membership or an interstate one, fine. But I think those are the exception.

Of course there are other revenue streams but i think it's as much about the principle than the actual $$$ amount. Make a direct contribution to the club, even if it's only a small one.

Think this is one we won't agree on, CYHTD. For mine, a person's support of the club shouldn't be valued on making a financial contribution, particularly if someone can't afford it.

In fact, would prefer not to set a criteria on what determines a "good" supporter.

If someone supports Carlton that's enough for me, end up having a good chat with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back