News Ned Guy List Manager to leave after MD

Remove this Banner Ad

He's good at maximising the profit for himself and his clients but has no talent identification credentials required to build a strong list whatsoever. And that's what his role is supposed to be.
So yeah nah..
I assume the recruiting and talent ID would be Hine’s job as head recruiter, head of list management is responsible for player salaries and trade negotiations etc..
What's a 'pro scout' department?
They look at players from other clubs and mature age players in the state leagues.

He's good at maximising the profit for himself and his clients but has no talent identification credentials required to build a strong list whatsoever. And that's what his role is supposed to be.
So yeah nah..
Ned's Bio
Ned studied a Bachelor of Commerce (Sport Management) at Deakin Universtiy. In 2006 Ned began working for the National Australia Bank in Treasury and was fortunate enough to transfer over to the London office.

Following his passion for sport, Ned relocated back to Melbourne to take up an opportunity in the sports industry as an accredited AFL player manager. Ned played in the TAC Cup with the Sandringham Dragons from the under-15's through to the Under-18's.

Following that he played with the Old Melburnians Football Club. As Director of Talent Management, Ned brings a host of experience in talent identification and nurturing some of the best talent to come through the draft and assisting clients to maximise their talent and opportunities.

He might be the guy who looks after the Collingwood players well being and negotiates contracts with the player managers from the Collingwood side of the fence. Pretty much what he is doing now but from the clubs point of view.
He’s in charge of list management, not talent identification. That still falls under Hine’s department as head of recruitment.
I don't see him as identifying talent. That will be Hinds job. I see him negotiating with the player managers for contracts. Looking at the lists well being and player needs and perhaps working out if we can fit certain players onto the list from a financial point of view.
Maybe I'm just not quite across of what his role entails primarily...

But then again, going by the excerpt below maybe I'm not ;)
As Director of Talent Management, Ned brings a host of experience in talent identification and nurturing some of the best talent to come through the draft and assisting clients to maximise their talent and opportunities.

Maybe I'm just not quite across of what his role entails primarily...

But then again, going by the excerpt below maybe I'm not ;)
He has a bachelor of commerce, worked in banking and as an afl player manager. I don't think he will be scouting and identifying the talent despite the words 'host of experience in talent identification' being written down about him.

He has a bachelor of commerce, worked in banking and as an afl player manager. I don't think he will be scouting and identifying the talent despite the words 'host of experience in talent identification' being written down about him.
The reason the Club emphasised his "host of experience in talent identification and nurturing" is fairly obvious - that's what they expect him to do and want us to believe he will be good at it.

But a blind Freddy can see after reading his CV this is based on nothing.

Umm.... Derek was already doing this position .... and his old position.
The review would have found that he was either no good at list management or it was too much work to focus on both so split the roles.

Only someone who hates everything would argue with the splitting of these roles.

They could also have no idea?

As an aside he'll be fine with the talent ID if it falls within his scope because identifying prospective clients before your competitors is kind of an important aspect to being a successful player manager.

My issue would be his past exposure to list balancing. That's the most pressing issue confronting the list management group ATM because the list is currently very skewed toward contested ball winning ground level types that are of average pace. There's no variety in the group which has come about because the previous list manager was also in charge of identifying talent.

The thing is he'll sit on a list management committee that should be making decisions on that in conjunction with him so as long as Ed and the prospective CEO don't remain part of the team I see no real issue because he'll have support in that aspect of the role.

Big fan of this.

It's not like we have had an issue with players wanting to leave Collingwood over the years because they have had difficulty coming to an agreeable contract, but our trading has been questionable.

This is exactly what Ned is in to do, continue our good contract negoations, and if nothing else, swing them a little more the way of the club. What he will hopefully excel at is the business side of trading players and picks. There's a lot more than just finding a good established player to come to the club, we need to execute a trade that is amicable by all parties, but hopefully falls in favour of Collingwood more often than not.

The benefits might be intangible to the wider public too, getting other clubs to pay for players salary in their cap, rather than ours is a massive bonus, as is making other clubs pay a high amount for leaving free agents to try and get a better compensation pick. These are all things that we don't "see" but they make a difference when it comes to TPP and salary cap management.

Hopefully we don't see more trades like Marley Williams for pick 107 with someone like Ned at the helm.

Gee there's some negative Nellies around.
We've been crying out for the Club to do something, lead the way in something football related.
They've done it - he's the 1st player manager into a role like this.
Let's focus on what we know he can do, look after players, (presumably) care about their welfare, negotiate contracts and negotiate with clubs.

We've been crying out for the Club to do something, lead the way in something football related.
Let's focus on what we know he can do, look after players, (presumably) care about their welfare, negotiate contracts and negotiate with clubs.
Absolutely Anzacday.

When it comes to player managers, if you can't beat them, give them a job... that's how the saying goes, right?

I sense that some of those Negative Nancies are getting worried they won't be able to shitcan the club next season.

reminds me a little of the Dan Richardson appointment at Richmond a couple of years back.
I know nothing about him so don't have a view one way or another, but it seems a good move to get Derek back to his scouting role which I feel he was generally quite good at.

Great name Ned - Ned Kelly, Ned Flanders and Ned Ryerson.
extra :thumbsu: for that.

Am I right, right, right, right, right.

Watch your step.... it's a real doozie

Geez we must have offered him more than his current earning capacity or he's the first player manager in history to not value lining his own pockets as his number one priority.

It's a left field decision but on face value it's seems like a decent enough one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to see some change. You'd expect new Guy has the negotiation part of the job down pat. His only other challenge is the ability to balance the list. I don't imagine he'll be doing the talent id stuff rather playing a lead role with Walsh as the Football Department Manager in setting some strategic direction for the recruiters. Hopefully it means we don't go a decade without recruiting top end key position players again. Succession planning!

Isn't there a conflict of interest...being a Club List Manager & a Player Agent...
Certainly a grey area.
So if for example Schache decides to come to Collingwood...does Ned represent Collingwood or the Player?
How can he do both?
Assume he resigns as a player agent.
If it benefits us it's good.
If it doesn't benefit us, it's bad

:)

I think he'll leave his current role and join us exclusively.

Follow Richmond's lead - great move, do something innovative like give the role to someone without any credentials to do it - great move.

Must be awesome having your head up your arse and chanting "everything is alright" no matter what happens, while those pesky negative nellies look like such fools given the lofty heights our Club has accomplished of late :thumbsu:

Follow Richmond's lead - great move, do something innovative like give the role to someone without any credentials to do it - great move.
Must be awesome having your head up your arse and chanting "everything is alright" no matter what happens, while those pesky negative nellies look like such fools given the lofty heights our Club has accomplished of late :thumbsu:
I'm confused are you unhappy about trying something different, the past or both?

Isn't there a conflict of interest...being a Club List Manager & a Player Agent...
Certainly a grey area.
So if for example Schache decides to come to Collingwood...does Ned represent Collingwood or the Player?
How can he do both?
Assume he resigns as a player agent.
Surely another agent within the business takes over that type of potential deal as it is a conflict of interest.

I'm confused are you unhappy about trying something different, the past or both?
I'm "unhappy" about the Club and few special units on here telling us how great he'll be in the role of list management and bring a "host of experience in talent identification and nurturing" based on his CV that shows no hint of that experience.

At least the smarter ones are trying to convince themselves that won't be his role....

I'm "unhappy" about the Club and few special units on here telling us how great he'll be in the role of list management and bring a "host of experience in talent identification and nurturing" based on his CV that shows no hint of that experience.

At least the smarter ones are trying to convince themselves that won't be his role....
I'm happy that they're doing something different and happy to wait and see how it plays out.
I don't know anything about the bloke however, I'm trying to find positives - doesn't mean my head is buried though.
I'm just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, (other than a train).

I'm happy that they're doing something different and happy to wait and see how it plays out.
I don't know anything about the bloke however, I'm trying to find positives - doesn't mean my head is buried though.
I'm just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, (other than a train).
But we've waited to see how it pans out and hoped to find positives for years now, so forgive me for having enough..

And in case you missed it before this his CV, please read it and tell me the last sentence/statement from the Club isn't simply pulling wool over our eyes based on it.
Ned's Bio
Ned studied a Bachelor of Commerce (Sport Management) at Deakin Universtiy. In 2006 Ned began working for the National Australia Bank in Treasury and was fortunate enough to transfer over to the London office.

Following his passion for sport, Ned relocated back to Melbourne to take up an opportunity in the sports industry as an accredited AFL player manager. Ned played in the TAC Cup with the Sandringham Dragons from the under-15's through to the Under-18's.

Following that he played with the Old Melburnians Football Club. As Director of Talent Management, Ned brings a host of experience in talent identification and nurturing some of the best talent to come through the draft and assisting clients to maximise their talent and opportunities.
Don't know about others but I'd rather we managed to poach a well credential list manager instead of this warped and rather left field appointment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back