Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets get something clear - anyone who plays AFL is playing in the full knowledge that at any they can cop a big hit and often know they will. It takes courage to play this type of competitive sport and mongrel to just get fit enough to be picked. The type of mongrel I am interested in talking about though, is the competitive imperative that some players have and some don't - meaning the animal insistence to beat their man every time - one way or another.

Backline is full of developing mongrel factor and cream is Alpha mongrel types who go out of their way to make 'em earn it - take a bow Alex. I like Williamson because he has some arrogant dash and isn't afraid to take 'em on he and Byrne tick my box there. Weitering is a cool headed mongrel type but yet to take a scalp has been more on the receiving end needs to develop some physical presence not just class, same can be said of Marchbank who may have been encumbered by physical limitations this year - Jones is an accidental mongrel type can damage as he goes hard with eyes on ball - would like to see him, learn how to hurt opposition with a bit of of knee, hip and elbow during contest. Docherty is the standout leader back there - but he will probably need to play more time further up - could become a midfielder no one was looking for as he has the size, leg speed and competitiveness to have a go- if not the in close skills. Plowman gets under the skin of most he comes up against - some physical hurt is better Plow.

In the middle we have the truck Kreuzer who just plows through opposition for 4 quarters often wearing down taller opponents - probably the fairest playing ruck in the competition have never seen him take a swing at anyone - but also have never seen anyone have a swing at him. Crippa was playing injured for much of the year till he broke his leg again - growth pains continue as this boy keeps growing upwards. This bloke is a competitive best and needs a couple of blokes around him with same mindset - welcome Kennedy. I like the look of Pickett who has shown glimpses of what he can do with ball in hand because he is blessed with elite speed - I'd like to see him develop staying power - we can use a game breaker - he can display mongrel by chasing down anyone within 10 meters of him on the run and shoving their head through the turf after getting the free. SPS/Fisher/Cuningham are all goers learning to make their way around the footy field - if preparedness to hassle matters they have it - but all lack the body size to dish it out. Fisher is going to find it hard to keep a spot if he doesn't start making things happen in 2018. and Cuningham - we need you to step up and stay in the side son. Charlie Curnow wants to dish it out I dont care where he is played because I expect him to have an explosive year in 2018 - salivating at the thought of Cripps/Kennedy and C.Curnow rotating through on ball or resting up forward and smashing some sleepy third tall defender into next week. Boekhurst talked a big game before Malthouse recruited him and played a couple of decent games in an end of contract year has the skill to play and some leg speed to spare a pity he often goes into a fetal position when he sees his own shadow. Ed has real mongrel - he runs both ways all day and is never beaten by anyone he plays on and has learned to kick a regular goal - under rated heart and soul type like Kreuzer- would love to see them both learn how to slip a dirty knee or accidental hip through more players more often - wont happen.

Up forward Levi is a perennial disappointment in the mongrel stakes - a few years ago he had some genuine developing malice about him - these days maybe fatherhood has neutered him - just as likely to injure one of our own than the opposition - clumsy dumb footballer - wake up Levi! No problem with McKay from the little I saw of him he is in a hurry to make his mark - add some bulk to your skeleton son and then start throwing your weight around - will be a ripper for us once his growing body settles. Jack son of Jo has competitive spirit in his DNA played injured for a long time and needs some muscle to support his competitiveness I have no doubt he will make up what he lacks in speed with brains - always there to support a team mate when the opposition do a dirty. Lamb likes the dirty little tagger role up front - some goals would be handy because small forwards kicking goals are better than same chasing re bounders. Wright likes to kick a goal but lacks the leg speed to smash a re bounder so often doesn't even try - I like him anyway.

Gibbs has mongrel he just doesn't use it often enough to be frank I don't think Gibbsy thinks he is as good as others see him to be could have been a top 10 mid in AFL if he had just a tad more nasty in him more often. Murphy hasn't got a mongrel bone in his body and it doesn't help that he can't lay a p[roper tackle anymore either. Thomas has mongrel but is now not physically up to the demands of the game anymore. Simpson is legend always putting his head over the ball and copping the hit backing into a contest- but dishing it out factor not his caper. Phillips ( the forgotten man) has been injured all year but big red would be more interesting if he got some aggro into his game - around stoppages he looks half asleep wake up son you have the size to dominate. How sad to see Sumner ( a genuine little mongrel) fritter away his playing potential mongrelling it up against civilians if the story is true...

I'm sure Bolton will make sure the boys learn to play with a harder edge as soon as they are fit enough to play 4 quarters - I look forward to seeing more evidence of genuine competitive spirit emerge from more in 2018 - because that is what mongrel is with the occasional bit of nasty thrown in.

here is my team of genuine mongrels:

Byrne Alex S Plowman
Docherty Jones Weitering

Ed C. Gibbs XXX
Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy( has shown it at GWS)

JackS Charlie XXX
Lamb Harry XXX

IC: XXX XXX , XXX, XXX.

Looking forward to seeing: SPS/Pickett/Fisher/Cuningham/Phillips/McCreadie/Marchbank join the crew.

Casboult tried to bring the mongrel and got slapped with a two week ban for a push with an open hand to the chest.

One rule for some ...

Casboult tried to bring the mongrel and got slapped with a two week ban for a push with an open hand to the chest.

One rule for some ...

better a couple of knees to the kidneys or head at the next pack mark.

better a couple of knees to the kidneys or head at the next pack mark.
Teach the midfield to kick it where he can run onto it instead of sitting it on his head and he will do that, has form. We are neutering his weapons from poor disposal and awareness instead of using his advantages. In danger of doing the same thing to Charlie and McKay if we don't fix this in the off season.

Midfield can either help spread the forwards into space or concentrate the defenders where the ball is going. Hopefully we will no longer be poor in this area with the amount of better ball users gaining fitness and game awareness.

Teach the midfield to kick it where he can run onto it instead of sitting it on his head and he will do that, has form. We are neutering his weapons from poor disposal and awareness instead of using his advantages. In danger of doing the same thing to Charlie and McKay if we don't fix this in the off season.

Midfield can either help spread the forwards into space or concentrate the defenders where the ball is going. Hopefully we will no longer be poor in this area with the amount of better ball users gaining fitness and game awareness.

Agree with what you say - the problem in midfield is that the experienced ball users - Gibbs and Murphy have been played as onballers...SPS/Fisher better show they can kick to forwards advantage in 2018 ....the running around chasing tail harassing is ok but the game is about scoring. I'm hoping Teague can improve running patterns in forward line - that and hopefully and an improved ability to actually win a center clearance with Cripps and Kennedy in there.

We got destroyed in center bounces once Cripps left - ex Gibbs we were left with a bunch of nuff nuffs pretending to be clearance players was abysmal to watch.

Byrne Alex Sylvagni(VC) Marchbank*
Weitering* Jones* Garlett*

Charlie Ed Curnow SPS
Kreuzer
Cripps (C) Kennedy

Pickett Harry Mc Murphy
Jack Levi* Lamb

IC: Plowman, Lang* , Fisher*, Polson*
EM: DOW/Thomas/Simpson

My starting mongrel team for 2018.

Quite happy with bolded players * asterix players have potential mongrel bu they need to cause some damage to be rated. Murphy and Simpson have zero mongrel factor, so Simpson is an emergency only sorry no place for skinny runts in my side. Both will find it hard to stay relevant as year progresses.

Really happy with midfield six.

Backs need to mongrel up so I make Alex S - vice captain. Crippa is Captain in this side. Docherty will be missed. I expect Crippa to run through Gibbs when we play Adelaide at least four times.

if Levi cant hurt any Richmond defenders in round one - I'd drop him as a lost cause in mongrel side - dont care how many goals he kicks - just want him as a hurt factor mongrel up Levi - do some damage to the opposition ya big clown.

Harry Mc/Charlie/Jack/Byrne/Plowman I have no doubts about same for Dow - I expect him to be an arrogant mongrel almost as good as brooding mongrels like Charlie will be.

Reinforcements will be required because if 2-3 of these mongrels aren't serving suspensions on rotation something is very wrong in mongrel land - unless they all become uber mongrels and get away with stuff like Hodge has for a decade.

Special target practice will be required for games against any St Kilda or Norfs player, and Melbourne ( Lewis ) and Brisbane ( Hodge) they rally should be (ahem) retired with prejudice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back