Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

I'm kinda glad we're a bit less overhyped than last year. But more low key would be nice.

Flag favourites, though.

There will be pressure if Leon doesn't deliver a flag, assuming the list is healthy - unfair, in my view, as it's bloody hard to win a premiership even with no injured players - but that's the reality of everyone expecting a GWS juggernaut.

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
Why do so many people have West Coast and Bulldogs not in the 8, I think both teams will be up there next September. Also, Freo will make Top 11 and I think Richmond will just scrape in.

Come check out my latest 2018 Ladder Predictions on The Roar.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Flag favourites, though.

There will be pressure if Leon doesn't deliver a flag, assuming the list is healthy - unfair, in my view, as it's bloody hard to win a premiership even with no injured players - but that's the reality of everyone expecting a GWS juggernaut.
We've extended Leon to the end of 2020 so he's comfortable I think. The AFL queried on the basis the terms were too favourable to him, but I think that was exactly our intention.
The bookies worry me a bit. My view is a lit if the anti-expansionists created the juggernaught myth so we could be bashed for any result ither than mulriple back to back flags. The bookies contradict that a bit.
We've got to wear it I guess.
Reality if course is we dont know which clubs will rise next year, only thing I'm sure of is some will.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Why do so many people have West Coast and Bulldogs not in the 8, I think both teams will be up there next September. Also, Freo will make Top 11 and I think Richmond will just scrape in.

Dogs are stiff. We are going to slide a bit id say.

Dogs are stiff. We are going to slide a bit id say.
If the rumours of taking a run a the draft the next couple of years is true, it will be by design. West Coast normally only drop for a year or two, then rise again.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I always love these threads before the season starts. Look at last years one. All just supporter guess work. Is interesting to see that so many supporters continue to underrate the Tigers though based on very little. Must mean there are a hell of a lot of jealous people out there all of a sudden!:p

To be honest, I couldn't give a stuff about 2018. I'm still celebrating 2017!!!!:trophy::D

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Should have done it this year - we were pretenders
One thing about WC supporters, very realistic and not prone to bragging on the whole. :D Wait and see what happens when you win your next flag I guess, it's a lot more visible on social media

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm kinda glad we're a bit less overhyped than last year. But more low key would be nice.
GWS should be right up there in flag contention again you'd think. Ideally, your injury situation improves next season and your team is more settled as a result. Flags are obviously hard to win but I'm confident you guys will be right up there and I still think your team will win one within the next few years possibly as soon as next year. Still a fair bit of improvement left in your team and the Giants should be in contention for the flag for quite a few years which should give your fans a lot of hope.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Think West Coast are the most likely team who made the finals this season to miss out next year. Think quite a few teams on the fringe of the top 8 will go ahead of them such as the Demons and Saints. Don't think they fall as far as bottom 4 or to the fringes of it but reckon they will drop out of the top 8. Bulldogs are a good shot to return to finals action but they've got a few question marks on their team and some holes on their list which could make it hard to return although I feel they can overcome that.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
GWS should be right up there in flag contention again you'd think. Ideally, your injury situation improves next season and your team is more settled as a result. Flags are obviously hard to win but I'm confident you guys will be right up there and I still think your team will win one within the next few years possibly as soon as next year. Still a fair bit of improvement left in your team and the Giants should be in contention for the flag for quite a few years which should give your fans a lot of hope.
Dont get me wrong I'm happy. A lot of our supporters are old footy fans and get what a privilege it is to follow a team in contention.Yet to reach the pinnacle but contenders. The new fans, god love em, not so much.

Prefer a low profile through the off season that's all. Things could be a lot worse. I made a decision to travel as much as could to games this year and made 17 in total. Credit card will take a bashing cos I'll do it again next year.
:)Just in case I want the year catalogued for prosperity in my head.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

The Eagles window never closes apparently...probably rusted up due to age!

sjohns12

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not gonna bother with an actual order, but here’s my rough prediction:

Top four (in no particular order)
Adelaide, GWS, Richmond, Sydney
Adelaide has been on an upward trend and I’d expect that to continue, although the losses of Smith and Lever may put a dent, big trade period for us I think. GWS have too much talent to not feature, question is can they put the talent together into a cohesive unit to contend for a flag? There’s no reason to think Richmond won’t continue to improve, unless they have a Bulldogs like hangover but that is rare and the Tigers were a much more consistent side this year. Sydney is just Sydney.

5-8 (no particular order):
Geelong, Port, Essendon, Melbourne
Geelong, especially if they get Ablett will still be strong, however you still get the feeling that they’re a little too top heavy compared to the other top sides. Port seem to have worked out some of their 2013-14 issues, and Rocky may free up Gray a bit to be his genius self more, questions still on how they’ll handle the top sides hence why still bottom half of the eight. Essendon are an exciting group and I think with another year they’ll contend for top four. Surely Melbourne can make the jump this year.

And the rest I can’t really be bothered talking about, except I’d be wary of Hawthorn and the Saints, and I have a feeling Brisbane may surprise some people.

ThaiTiger

Cancelled
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
There is no one left. Only Richmond to pick up the pieces of a shattered and broken AFL. Only Richmond can unite the competition and make it great again. Only Richmond can fill the MCG week in and week out. Only Richmond can bring such joy to a small child's face and make a grown man cry. Only Richmond can....

....win the premiership in 2018!

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is no one left. Only Richmond to pick up the pieces of a shattered and broken AFL. Only Richmond can unite the competition and make it great again. Only Richmond can fill the MCG week in and week out. Only Richmond can bring such joy to a small child's face and make a grown man cry. Only Richmond can....

....win the premiership in 2018!
And the I woke up......

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah, I think it's quite possible Freo might have a disappointing 2018. I'm not sold Lyon is the man going forward for the Dockers but we'll know more next year. Personally think they will finish bottom 4 in 2018 but open to the possibility that they could win around 8 games and avoid the bottom 4 like they did this year. Seems the consensus bottom 3 so far is Fremantle, Gold Coast and North Melbourne in any order.
As I said... Freo got 8 wins this year due to winning some close games. Could of easily got a couple more. I am half sold on Lyon rebuilding our list. He won most freo fans over with the youth he played.

Only way I could accept freo getting Bottom 4 in 2018 is that they get 7 or 8 wins and get 15th spot. Hell, they might get that similar % again of 70-74%. That means they averaged around scoring 71 points a game and conceding 96 points a game.

Hell Freo could be 17th with 5 or 6 wins and get pick 2. That isn't too bad considering the talent coming in the 2018 draft. Not that I approve of tanking though.....

Stan Van Gundy

All Australian
Jun 9, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Gotta give credit to the Tiges for snatching a flag out of the blue, call it a Bradbury if you will. I think it might be Bulldogs mach 2 for them next season though, unfortunately. I think we can safely say we won't have a repeat of this. They might sneak into 8th spot to grind their way to a brave elimination final loss in week 1, but I'm putting my money on them juuust missing out on the finals.

Back