Autopsy The 2017 AFL Grand Final - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved every second of the whole final series
Loved our pressure
Loved our tackling
Loved our chasing
Loved our smothering
Loved our comradery
Loved our team first ethos
Loved our loyal fans tasting success
Loved dusty winning everything
Loved all the salt from Adelaide

Like: It's an even competition, our game is still the greatest game in the world. It has it's flaws and the bizarro world that is the AFL do their best to over sanitise it and corrupt it, but the game itself is too big for the likes of Gil and his cronies to ruin completely.

Learnt : If Richmond can win the flag, anything is possible. Awards are on the way to extinction as their relevance is being diluted by the midfield centric media.
The MCG proved once again that the Grand Final must never be moved ever!

Hated : The continual tampering of the rules, what's next? No tackling? Gil's gobbledygook is very annoying, they will "paradigm shift" him right out the door one day... The MRP (it's now out of control with one set of rules for H&A and Finals) Okay, then make it so. Clear the slate for finals. This clash strip business gets me wild every year and i will never stop hating it, especially WHITE away strips. The Brownlow is a midfield centric award, i do not believe it is really indicative of who is the best player in the competition. the Norm Smith medal was totally wrong and proof the media all crack a fat when they see Martin. Houli douli things need to change!

The Grand Final is an event and must always remain at the MCG no matter who plays, but teams that qualify for finals above another team after 22 rounds must play finals at their home ground as an advantage to make the Grand Final in the first place. Tigers scored big time with this. Finished 4th and played every final at home! The AFL must act on this.
The Grand Final is sacrosanct, i am quite happy to meet the Tigers at the MCG in a Grand Final, but if you finish higher you must have some sort of advantage in the semi finals surely? If not, then start the finals by pulling the teams out of a hat for scheduling and forget the H&A positions ? ( now we all know that won't happen)
GWS will be there again next season and you can bet your left knacker they will play a home final at Spotless in front of 20k, IMO every chance that will be against Essendon and no one will bat an eye lid! If Geelong are scheduled to play Essendon there will be an uproar if it's scheduled at Simonds stadium!
If Geelong finish above a team (any team) then they must play their semi final at home. People do own TV's!
Oh are you upset the pussies lost ??? oh im so sad for your loss
I will pray that you feel better

For every home game that theres an advantage

Theres an away game that neutralises that advantage.

Where as you guys leave the state a coupla times a season and host interstaters more

Still doesn't adress the fact that, out of 10 true home games, most interstate sides would win 7 on average.

Say they split the double up neutral games. That makes it 8 wins from 12 games at home.

Meaning they only have to win 4-5 games away to make finals.

But you know... Victorian Competition.

Still doesn't adress the fact that, out of 10 true home games, most interstate sides would win 7 on average.

Say they split the double up neutral games. That makes it 8 wins from 12 games at home.

Meaning they only have to win 4-5 games away to make finals.

But you know... Victorian Competition.
You are aware of course - as the premiers - a top four side

You only won 6 away from the mcg - let alone interstate

But yeah “only” have to win five interstate

If the MCG is such a factor, why hasn't Essendon or Carlton won a flag for a while? Maybe the importance you interstaters place on the MCG isn't as great as you think...

If the MCG is such a factor, why hasn't Essendon or Carlton won a flag for a while? Maybe the importance you interstaters place on the MCG isn't as great as you think...
Well it could have something to do with carlton being flattened by salary cap sanctions - and then trading out what they needed to win a premiership in josh kennedy to get the other thing they needed - chris judd.

As for essendon - they held on to sheedy way too long - had a pretty oddly drafted list - then they started getting good then the dank memes started....

And for the mcg to be a big factor it has to be a granny.

We only get a game or two at best at the g. Losing a game or two doesnt kill you - till september.

We pencil them in as losses against good teams and possibles against ordinary teams

Last edited:
Oh are you upset the pussies lost ??? oh im so sad for your loss
I will pray that you feel better
There had always been the unearthly dark of fathomless absence, until the tears of clowns rained upon Punt road after 37 long years and a nice rub of the green along the way.

If you lose one of me, you are upset, bewildered, and perplexed.
If you lose two of me, you are blissfully unaware.
What am i?

There had always been the unearthly dark of fathomless absence, until the tears of clowns rained upon Punt road after 37 long years and a nice rub of the green along the way.

If you lose one of me, you are upset, bewildered, and perplexed.
If you lose two of me, you are blissfully unaware.
What am i?
A salty sook , who cant stand the fact that after 37 years we are not the laughing stock any more,,, like most oppo supporters you thought life would go on and on and on with richmond being a basket case and you could always make yourself feel good and superior with a joke about the tigers... now that has gone you have nfi what to say or do anymore

A salty sook , who cant stand the fact that after 37 years we are not the laughing stock any more,,, like most oppo supporters you thought life would go on and on and on with richmond being a basket case and you could always make yourself feel good and superior with a joke about the tigers... now that has gone you have nfi what to say or do anymore
Sook was close, but socks is the answer! I only get upset when i can't find my matching socks!

There's more salt here than there is the dead sea
It's delicious
images

Actually the league - after public outcry HAS changed things

When we had to play home finals in melbourne - after a few the public outcry in wa and sa was so loud that they changed it - despite the contract with the g demanding so many finals in melb. At first the vfl said it was impossible - which is almost always their first response. Then after prodding they found a compromise based on the fact that there is generally more finals played in melbourne than is required by the contract so they “banked” finals for years where there was less finals played there.

Theres been quite a few things changed after public outcry.

I can tell you something for certain - nothing changes if we dont speak up.

Get back in yer box dog
Like I said, if you don't like it, leave it. Stop barracking for the Weagles and go back to just barracking for a WAFL side, no conspiracy theories there. VFL my arse. Its a national competition played by known rules. You choose to play in the comp you accept its rules.

You sound like the bloke who builds a house next to industry and complains to council to get the industry moved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate, but Richmond's premiership is every bit as real as Hawthorn's. I know it might take few weeks or even months to adjust to, but Richmond are the current premiers.
Don't worry about it Barry, people are still claiming 2016 was a conspiracy managed by the AFL and the umpires. Some very salty swans and (surprisingly) saints in here.

Well done Tiges, too much pressure, you used Bevo's game style to perfection

Like I said, if you don't like it, leave it. Stop barracking for the Weagles and go back to just barracking for a WAFL side, no conspiracy theories there. VFL my arse. Its a national competition played by known rules. You choose to play in the comp you accept its rules.

You sound like the bloke who builds a house next to industry and complains to council to get the industry moved.
Thanks for the impartial support. This whiny cretin really does need to get over it.

Loved - the Vibe around Swan Street after each of the finals wins, especially the GF.
How the current group galvanised themselves and the tiger Army.
That the players know all other teams will come at them next year. They will take it on and accept it as part of their journey.

What I learned - if you believe in your vision and stick fat then you will get there eventually.

Football brings out the very best and the very worst in people.
Best - tears of joy that represent the end of a long journey and the beginning of a new and exciting one.

Worst - It is such a pity that many supporters, particularly from the west side of this country are so salty. Your whinging just outlines the weakness in your character. Kranky you are truly acting like a baby having a hissy fit and are secretly happy that you didn't have to play us at the G in a final because you know that we would have absolutely smashed you...

However none of that matters because the Tigers are the 2017 PREMIERS and there ain't a god damn thing you or anybody else can do about it.

Final words - this year the Tigers replaced expectation with appreciation. Everything else followed from that

Don't worry about it Barry, people are still claiming 2016 was a conspiracy managed by the AFL and the umpires. Some very salty swans and (surprisingly) saints in here.

Well done Tiges, too much pressure, you used Bevo's game style to perfection

Well the Bulldogs sure proved that 2016 premiership was no fluke by backing it up this year.

On no wait...they didn't, they got shown up for the frauds they really are by finishing 10th.

At least Bulldogs supporters are a lot less arrogant than they were this time last year.

Well the Bulldogs sure proved that 2016 premiership was no fluke by backing it up this year.

On no wait...they didn't, they got shown up for the frauds they really are by finishing 10th.

At least Bulldogs supporters are a lot less arrogant than they were this time last year.

lol please...
we had everything go wrong for us and we still finished above your club

lol please...
we had everything go wrong for us and we still finished above your club

Everything go wrong? You might have had a few injuries but no more than most clubs and you still got a good ride from the umpires and a cushy fixture.

You just weren't as good as you or the media thought you were.

Everything go wrong? You might have had a few injuries but no more than most clubs and you still got a good ride from the umpires and a cushy fixture.

You just weren't as good as you or the media thought you were.

Jealous st kilda fan, nothing more

Talk to a dogs fan and they’ll tell you what went wrong, you’ll understand more

What excuses is your mob coming up with??

You sound like a quitter.

Me - i like to try and change things

When it became the afl it started to change - as more teams enter it will change more - one day you will wake up and we will out vote you as there will be more interstate sides than vics.

Wont hapoen if we just give up

Liked: a team broke a long flag drought. Won $1300 on Richmond, Sloane first goal and Dusty winning Norm smith. :D
Learned: that Vic teams really do get a decent advantage playing the GF at the MCG when in previous years I believed it to be a minor thing.
Hated: nothing really I guess apart from the pangs of jealousy that our 2015 GF team had to go up against one of the GOAT teams instead of Adelaide/Tigers.

Liked everything about the Tigers this September. I want to keep talking about them all the time.

Learned that a year is an amazingly long time in footy. And that Tigers supporters are definitely the MOST PASSIONATE in the AFL. And that there really is a new season after home and away, that some teams can step up to the next level.

Hated nothing about the GF itself. We weren't in it, but it's not about us.

Last edited:

Fwiw speaking strictly from a rfc perspective, id play interstate every day of the week over etihad

We suck at that joint, always have, and its just down the road. Compared to that we have a comparatively decent record at domain, ao, and we love the gabba.

Only interstate trip i fear is sydney at the scg, and its because we gave had two decades of poo at that joint.

When we sold games to darwin and cairns, it was sold to the members on two grounds

1) its a short term debt reduction fix

2) it means on less etihad home game

I know rfc fans hate the joint, but ignoring that, we have zero home state advantage there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back