Votes: 29 5.9%
  • 2017 Damien Hardwick

Votes: 91 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
That's 1 game, how many before they beat you again?
It was an upset in that no one expected it, probably even your team, that's psychology too.

You're doing it right now, you ignored the important parts of my post and fixated on what you could nit pick from it, 1 game..lol
I put it in there for you.

You’ve just tried to claim that skill accounts for 10 per cent of success. How can I take anything you say seriously?

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
You’ve just tried to claim that skill accounts for 10 per cent of success. How can I take anything you say seriously?
No I didn't, I said ability is only 10%, every team has its gun players, if just being a gun side accounted for anything, the minor premiers would have won the flag.
And it really doesn't matter what you think, see you're doing it again, judging me by what you think is right.
You're underestimating who I am and what I know based on your beliefs when in actual fact you don't know me from a bar of soap, it says more about you than me.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
how arrogant that you think that your ground size is anything so magical that you need to keep it secret..

lordy it is only a few metres from end to end and side to side. grow up juvenile.

It is indeed narrow from side to side.

But if it’s a few metres from end to end, then every other stadium bar Subiaco is less than a few metres from end to end.

I don’t think there’s anything magical about our ground at all. Aside from its seemingly supernatural ability to keep the s**t-piss colours of the Hawks out of its vicinity of course.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No I didn't, I said ability is only 10%, every team has its gun players, if just being a gun side accounted for anything, the minor premiers would have won the flag.
And it really doesn't matter what you think, see you're doing it again, judging me by what you think is right.
You're underestimating who I am and what I know based on your beliefs when in actual fact you don't know me from a bar of soap, it says more about you than me.

You’re a bloke on a website talking about footy.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts

I'll tell you a little story, it doesn't mean squat in the scheme of things, and you'll probably tell me you don't give a s**t but i'll tell it anyway.

I play Lawn Bowls, yes I know, its an old mans game, blah, blah, I can also spend more time with a stubby in my hand than a bowl so its not all bad but keep it between us, I don't want it getting out.
Anyway, a few years ago my Nephew and I made our clubs pairs final, we were playing against a couple of guns who came through a much harder half of the draw, the skip was a former state title holder who had been playing for 30yrs and his lead was a 10yr veteran, we had 4 years between us, however, in those years i'd played over a hundred games with the skip in all formats of the game, he had my number on any given day.
So before the game I knew I had to do something which would rattle him, I had nothing to lose and was expected to finish second.
So I won the coin toss and gave him the mat, this meant I had last bowl, when it came down to that last bowl I played a weighted shot across the head with 1 yard of weight and sat his shot bowl 3 rolls for 2 shots, he just looked at me.
When we crossed ends next time he said he never knew I could play the shot never mind consider it an option, he underestimated me, strike 1.
The next time we crossed, as I passed his lead I said, for * sake Mark, get a close bowl I'm sick of hearing this prick whinging about you, he went to pieces strike 2
They hardly scored again and spent the next 15 ends making snide comments at each other, strike 3
You're out!
He still talks about the title he was robbed of, I still remind him that they were fragile little flowers.

True story.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll tell you a little story, it doesn't mean squat in the scheme of things, and you'll probably tell me you don't give a s**t but i'll tell it anyway.

I play Lawn Bowls, yes I know, its an old mans game, blah, blah, I can also spend more time with a stubby in my hand than a bowl so its not all bad but keep it between us, I don't want it getting out.
Anyway, a few years ago my Nephew and I made our clubs pairs final, we were playing against a couple of guns who came through a much harder half of the draw, the skip was a former state title holder who had been playing for 30yrs and his lead was a 10yr veteran, we had 4 years between us, however, in those years i'd played over a hundred games with the skip in all formats of the game, he had my number on any given day.
So before the game I knew I had to do something which would rattle him, I had nothing to lose and was expected to finish second.
So I won the coin toss and gave him the mat, this meant I had last bowl, when it came down to that last bowl I played a weighted shot across the head with 1 yard of weight and sat his shot bowl 3 rolls for 2 shots, he just looked at me.
When we crossed ends next time he said he never knew I could play the shot never mind consider it an option, he underestimated me, strike 1.
The next time we crossed, as I passed his lead I said, for **** sake Mark, get a close bowl I'm sick of hearing this prick whinging about you, he went to pieces strike 2
They hardly scored again and spent the next 15 ends making snide comments at each other, strike 3
You're out!
He still talks about the title he was robbed of, I still remind him that they were fragile little flowers.

True story.
Ok well and good - and I like lawn bowls - but I’m not really seeing a correlation to the merits of post-2000 Afl coaching here

King Brown

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I know I'll likely cop it for this but for me it's Mark Williams. In the space of four years finished 3rd, 1st, 1st and 1st, for one GF appearance and obviously to be on this list, the one flag.

Finishes 3rd in 2001 and goes out in straight sets with a loss to Hawthorn (who had finished 6th) at home in the semi final.
Finishes 18-4 in 2002 and loses home ground prelim in the first week of the finals.
Finishes 18-4 in 2003 and again drops home ground prelim by losing in the first week of the finals.

I know they ran into the Brisbane era, but this was a very good side that won a hell of a lot of games over 4 years, finished top three times and had ONE GF appearance (win) to show for it. Ultimately it wasn't even Brisbane that caused the bulk of their pain. Brisbane beat them in 2001 after finishing 2nd, but it was the Hawthorn loss that put them out in straight sets. Losing to Collingwood at home in week one in 2002 sent them to Brisbane for an away prelim and in 2003 they avoided Brisbane in the finals altogether.

I'd feel different if they'd made multiple GF appearances and lost to a dominant Brisbane each time, but for all their ladder position and obvious talent, Williams didn't even get them to the GF from top spot twice and third spot once.
And they nearly missed out in 2004.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is indeed narrow from side to side.

But if it’s a few metres from end to end, then every other stadium bar Subiaco is less than a few metres from end to end.

I don’t think there’s anything magical about our ground at all. Aside from its seemingly supernatural ability to keep the s**t-piss colours of the Hawks out of its vicinity of course.
no it just astounds me that a few metres either way is that much of a difference and well the piss and s**t colours have served us nicely so tanks very much.

Is it just a thing that media and players/coaches use as something to talk about? the measure of the um manhood.. ?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
no it just astounds me that a few metres either way is that much of a difference and well the piss and s**t colours have served us nicely so tanks very much.

Is it just a thing that media and players/coaches use as something to talk about? the measure of the um manhood.. ?

I don’t know - I didn’t bring it up. The ground is literally 6 metres skinnier than Subiaco and 7 metres skinnier than the AO (and it’s longer than the latter) but apparently we have an advantage over every team in the comp because of it. None of Scott’s wins as a coach are a result of anything other than the 6 less metres of turf from wing to wing at Skilled. Such is my understanding

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t know - I didn’t bring it up. The ground is literally 6 metres skinnier than Subiaco and 7 metres skinnier than the AO (and it’s longer than the latter) but apparently we have an advantage over every team in the comp because of it. None of Scott’s wins as a coach are a result of anything other than the 6 less metres of turf from wing to wing at Skilled. Such is my understanding

well I guess that thank goodness we have such fantastic fan bases that we have to play at the G. But I guess the wins at Kardinia Park are due more to
crowd infusion than ground and turf and well there you go.

Skinny is a temperamental word and well can be used incrementally.
Size isn't everything but then again I don't know who exactly I am speaking to and therefore after revelations today it could be anyone...

so refrain from taking offence.

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
A curious question, there are a hundred really good coaches through those years who would love to be one of the worst premiership winning coaches. I guess it would be a coach who has only won one and has since been sacked. No, pass, all of those coaches on the list are brilliant.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Given this years outcome, should you reload on guys like Ablett or take a three year hit, get picks in and get more kids? Back Scott in to reset like Hawks and Clarko?

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

Why would it be a 3 year hit? Did Dimma win a flag 3 years after taking over?

Is it just coincidence that they won after Balme came on board? That's where I'd be looking rather than telling us all how good Dimma is.

Paul roos anyone? Woosha lacked game day nous

But yeah Chris Scott.
People forgetGeelong was smashed in the 2010 PF. Then it lost its No.1 (and the No.1 player in the AFL) in Ablett. Commentators declared Geelong too old and too slow. Bomber was bereft of ideas. In comes Scott, gently tweaks the game plan enough to completely reverse Geelong's fortunes. The rampaging Collingwood owned Geelong in 2010, but in 2011 Geelong absolutely owned Collingwood.

So yes, Scott inherited a 'premiership' side on paper, but under Bomber that team was finished. Give Scott credit. It is too simplistic to say anyone could have done what he did.

Why would it be a 3 year hit? Did Dimma win a flag 3 years after taking over?

Is it just coincidence that they won after Balme came on board? That's where I'd be looking rather than telling us all how good Dimma is.

3-2 whatever, point is, do you bottom out and get the best picks in that you can and reload on gen next for the cats, or do you follow the current model of trading your picks for an attempt immediate result on guys like Ablett etc? What would you prefer?

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
3-2 whatever, point is, do you bottom out and get the best picks in that you can and reload on gen next for the cats, or do you follow the current model of trading your picks for an attempt immediate result on guys like Ablett etc? What would you prefer?

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

I would honestly prefer seeing a rebuild where you can watch all the players grow and develop together. Unfortunately, drafts like '99 and '01 in Geelong's case and '01 and '04 in Hawthorn's case, don't just fall in your lap every season.

Having said that, I guess the quandry the Cats are in now is do they waste what's left of Selwood and Dangerfield or do they keep trying to capitalise on their presence by trading in ready made players?

At some point the club are going to run out of decent picks to trade (much like now) and if you want someone, you're going to have to give someone up that you might not necessarily want to.

Look at all the clubs that have won multiple premierships in a short space of time since 1990, they've mostly been made up of a group of core players of the same age bracket who have all come together at the same time and matured together. Of course that's only part of the equation, look at Melbourne, a plethora of high draft picks that have been wasted either through getting the wrong player or not having the proper off field team together to take advantage of it. Richmond in the early to mid 00's would be the same and Carlton too, although in Carlton's case, they were also crippled with draft sanctions in the early 00's. Thankfully, all three of these clubs seemed to have turned things around now. They're recruiting better and managing better.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So a team comes from 13th to Premiers - some say has one of the worst lists - wins by an average of about 7 goals- wins 18/25, and the coach is deemed by some oracles on BF to be worst PREMIERSHIP coach since 2000..........

Back