Remove this Banner Ad

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
page1image13016

Sydney are the most popular afl club according to Roy Morgan poll in 2017. Essendon had overtaken Collingwood for the first time since 2007 to become the biggest Victorian club. Essendon gained 123,000 fans in 12 months while Collingwood who missed the finals for the 4th time in a row lost 117,000 fans in 12 months.

Sydney 1,204,000
Essendon 671,000
West Coast 669,000
Collingwood 663,000
Adelaide 541,000
Hawthorn 528,000
Geelong 515,000
Brisbane 489,000
Carlton 464,000
Fremantle 459,000
Richmond 482,000
Port Adelaide 298,000
St.kilda 294,000
North Melbourne 263,000
Western Bulldogs 247,000
Melbourne 229,000
GWS Giants 175,000
Gold Coast 106,000

Pretty interesting figures take with it what you will but shows I suppose the number of soft core support of each club and shows that when Collingwood and Essendon start winning their soft support numbers climb through the roof but when they start losing their support drops by 100-130,00 in 12 months.

Be interesting to see how much Richmond's soft support numbers grow next year.

Last edited:
The question asked is:

"Assuming you were sunning yourself on your yacht on the Sydney Harbour, would you give moral support to the Sydney Swans, or GWS."

The fact that the Swans struggle to get 40k to games where teams in WA, SA, and VIC regularly get more would suggest that "popular" is a very loose term.

Which isnt even looking at TV ratings either.

The question asked is:

"Assuming you were sunning yourself on your yacht on the Sydney Harbour, would you give moral support to the Sydney Swans, or GWS."

The fact that the Swans struggle to get 40k to games where teams in WA, SA, and VIC regularly get more would suggest that "popular" is a very loose term.

Which isnt even looking at TV ratings either.

It is just soft support numbers. If you want to know who had the most engaged financial supported clubs ( the ones that the afl clubs really care about) then look at membership and crowd numbers.

In terms of most engaged fans the most supported teams would be;

West Coast
Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Hawthorn
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Fremantle
Geelong
Western bulldogs
Melbourne
St.kilda
North Melbourne
Brisbane
GWS
Gold Coast

That would be the order of most engaged supporter numbers for 2017

page1image13016

Sydney are the most popular afl club according to Roy Morgan poll in 2017. Essendon had overtaken Collingwood for the first time since 2007 to become the biggest Victorian club. Essendon gained 123,000 fans in 12 months while Collingwood who missed the finals for the 4th time in a row lost 117,000 fans in 12 months.

Sydney 1,204,000
Essendon 671,000
West Coast 669,000
Collingwood 663,000
Adelaide 541,000
Hawthorn 528,000
Geelong 515,000
Brisbane 489,000
Carlton 464,000
Fremantle 459,000
Richmond 482,000
Port Adelaide 298,000
St.kilda 294,000
North Melbourne 263,000
Western Bulldogs 247,000
Melbourne 229,000
GWS Giants 175,000
Gold Coast 106,000

Pretty interesting figures take with it what you will but shows I suppose the number of soft core support of each club and shows that when Collingwood and Essendon start winning their soft support numbers climb through the roof but when they start losing their support drops by 100-130,00 in 12 months.

Be interesting to see how much Richmond's soft support numbers grow next year.
I couldn't open your image. Hope you don't mind me adding this.

28qyz8.jpg

Would love to know how many of the 175K Giants fans have paid for entry into a Giants game.

Given Perth has 50%+ support between West Coast and Freo, wouldn't Tasmania attract a similar ratio from their half a million people if it was done right?

It is just soft support numbers. If you want to know who had the most engaged financial supported clubs ( the ones that the afl clubs really care about) then look at membership and crowd numbers.

In terms of most engaged fans the most supported teams would be;

West Coast
Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Hawthorn
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Fremantle
Geelong
Western bulldogs
Melbourne
St.kilda
North Melbourne
Brisbane
GWS
Gold Coast

That would be the order of most engaged supporter numbers for 2017
I would actually argue at present the Pies fans are among the most disengaged fans in the league. Not having a dig but their crowd numbers, match day seat holder show rates and stagnant membership support this. I think they've been quite disengaged for 2-3 years. Essendon fans are engaged again after 4-5 years in the wilderness as you can imagine.

What these figure prove is Collingwood and Essendon have comfortably the biggest national followings and this national support poses a massive opportunity to grow membership above the other clubs when they find solutions that encourage their interstate supporters to buy memberships and tap into this unmet opportunity. This is consistent with other metrics: Facebook, Twitter, Supercoach, Dreamteam etc.

It also illustrates the absurd nature of Sydney's fan base size. In much the same way the Storm are biggest in the NRL. Most people surveyed in a Sydney would naturally pick Sydney. .

You guys realize that it is just asking who someone "goes" for? OF COURSE Sydney will come out on top, in the rugby you would probably get a similar result for Melbourne storm

You guys are taking it way to seriously

I would actually argue at present the Pies fans are among the most disengaged fans in the league. Not having a dig but their crowd numbers, match day seat holder show rates and stagnant membership support this. I think they've been quite disengaged for 2-3 years. Essendon fans are engaged again after 4-5 years in the wilderness as you can imagine.

What these figure prove is Collingwood and Essendon have comfortably the biggest national followings and this national support poses a massive opportunity to grow membership above the other clubs when they find solutions that encourage their interstate supporters to buy memberships and tap into this unmet opportunity. This is consistent with other metrics: Facebook, Twitter, Supercoach, Dreamteam etc.

It also illustrates the absurd nature of Sydney's fan base size. In much the same way the Storm are biggest in the NRL. Most people surveyed in a Sydney would naturally pick Sydney. .

Maybe disengaged yes but the pies are still no.1 in membership and 3rd in attendance's whilst finishing 13th and only finished 21,000 behind Richmond who are in the grand final and 16,000 behind Essendon who finished 8th.

Take Roy Morgan poll with what it is..... is it are true measure of support probably not but for potential growth in crowds and members yes. For example I find it hard to believe that Essendon Gained 123 k fans and Collingwood dropped 117 k fans in just 12 months. In 2011 Collingwood had 913 k fans after their premiership and now 6 years later they lose 250 k fans...... guess that is just the bandwagon fans who just say they barrack for Collingwood or Essendon because they start winning and it is cool to do so. Same goes wit Essendon in 2014 Essendon had 692,000 fans but in 2016 dropped to 548,000 now 12 months on back to 671,000. Guess those 123,000 Essendon fans gave the game away in 2015-16

Maybe disengaged yes but the pies are still no.1 in membership and 3rd in attendance's whilst finishing 13th and only finished 21,000 behind Richmond who are in the grand final and 16,000 behind Essendon who finished 8th.

Take Roy Morgan poll with what it is..... is it are true measure of support probably not but for potential growth in crowds and members yes. For example I find it hard to believe that Essendon Gained 123 k fans and Collingwood dropped 117 k fans in just 12 months. In 2011 Collingwood had 913 k fans after their premiership and now 6 years later they lose 250 k fans...... guess that is just the bandwagon fans who just say they barrack for Collingwood or Essendon because they start winning and it is cool to do so. Same goes wit Essendon in 2014 Essendon had 692,000 fans but in 2016 dropped to 548,000 now 12 months on back to 671,000. Guess those 123,000 Essendon fans gave the game away in 2015-16

#1 in membership $s 81?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said similar things in previous years to this, but here we go again.

If I was surveyed and asked which NRL team I supported, I'd say Melbourne Storm, but the truth is, I didn't even know they were in the NRL finals until I heard on Tuesday they were in the GF.

Now that I know, I'm still unlikely to watch it. (although my hangover from Saturday might be a contributing factor there).

I imagine this is what most of the Sydney 'fans' are like.

Would love to know how many of the 175K Giants fans have paid for entry into a Giants game.

Given Perth has 50%+ support between West Coast and Freo, wouldn't Tasmania attract a similar ratio from their half a million people if it was done right?

Yup...Which would put them on similar levels of support to the small Vic clubs...

You guys realize that it is just asking who someone "goes" for? OF COURSE Sydney will come out on top, in the rugby you would probably get a similar result for Melbourne storm

You guys are taking it way to seriously
Would be much more interesting if they asked who had watched at least 5 minutes on the TV, who had watched a whole game, who had attended at least one game...

Yes Collingwood are first in membership 75,834 200 in front of hawthorn
I don't think the Pies will be #1 next year!

Still that's beside the point. Richmond on the back of huge optimism, flag or not should be #1. Hawthirn have done a superb job converting success but they may not be able to go with the other big clubs on the next wave of membership growth.

To me these statistics swing around from year to year depending largely on form but by enlarge excluding Sydney, year after year it's Collingwood / Essendon tops in Victoria with the Crows and Eagles next. Then Carlton and Euchmond on the next rung. I think that pretty much depicts the national supporter landscape. Supercoach and Digital statistics call a similar outcome. Due to limited access to interstate venues and TBH poor club focus around converting club fans interstate and overseas into membership. The big Vic clubs have untapped potential to start converting its total fan base to membership. Watch Collingwood and Essendon to possibly lead this.

My gut feel is over the next 3 years this will change and you will see clubs focus on providing non match going fans with greater value in membership and start converting these supporters. This is how you will see club membership soar towards 100,000 in the next 3 years I believe - apart from the obvious benefit on field success will to in assisting growth.. Watch this space!

Sydney Swans has pretty good recognition in the Harbour city. Given it was originally South Melbourne, they would benefit from the positive regard in both cities. So a good number of 'supporters' would make sense. Clubs can trade on that when talking to sponsors.

If Tasmania were ever allowed into the AFL, likewise it would have the majority of the population as well as good support from its relatively large Diaspora across the country. It would easily supplant the 7 clubs in blue on that ladder.

Sydney Swans has pretty good recognition in the Harbour city. Given it was originally South Melbourne, they would benefit from the positive regard in both cities. So a good number of 'supporters' would make sense. Clubs can trade on that when talking to sponsors.

If Tasmania were ever allowed into the AFL, likewise it would have the majority of the population as well as good support from its relatively large Diaspora across the country. It would easily supplant the 7 clubs in blue on that ladder.

Not the same as south Melbourne......though, in reality, given the main likelihood of north melbourne relocation, it could still turn out analogous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back