2012 All-Australian side fails, plus more.

The 2012 All-Australian side is worse off because Jobe is still in it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So we all know Jobe had to hand his Brownlow back after 'the' saga, but why do the record books still have him in the All-Australian side next to Cotchin and Beams?
Have they just decided that the All-Australian isn't really an honour to make or they forgot he was in?

Surely if all accolades were taken away from any player that was found guilty then this is a wowser of a mistake that needs immediate attention.

Jobe also won the AFLPA Best Captain Award and it appears that his name still sits on the 2012 winners list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would not be easy to change it now as no one remembers the 2012 season in good enough detail to remember who was the next best midfielder that year.
Cotchin & Mitchell won the Brownlow that year with Swan & Thompson both missing it by one vote.
They all made the AA side as did Gary Ablett, Josh Kennedy, Dayne Beames
By Brownlow votes, the highest vote getting midfielders who missed AA selection in 2012 were; Lenny Hayes, Scott Selwood & Kieren Jack.

Last edited:
Jobe played the year out and performed well enough to make the AA team. He didn't do it fairly but there is no clause in the All Australian criteria which says he needed to have so unlike the Brownlow there isn't an objective measure to exclude him, rightly or wrongly.

If a player plays a fantastic H & A season then gets rubbed out for PEDs for 2 years before the AA is announced, do you reckon they would still include that player, or would they very quickly find a replacement?

Im assuming that based on your logic they would keep him in?

All individual awards should be stripped of players found to be taking PED's as Jobe was. In the case of Team doping like what happened at Essendon or multiple players doping on their own (collingwood), Team awards and victories should be stripped and individual awards of players who indirectly benefited from doping teammates should be taken away also..

If a player plays a fantastic H & A season then gets rubbed out for PEDs for 2 years before the AA is announced, do you reckon they would still include that player, or would they very quickly find a replacement?

Im assuming that based on your logic they would keep him in?
That's a very good point, I'm sure he wouldn't be considered for the team if he was found guilty prior to the announcement, but I guess those are 2 slightly different scenarios - selecting him in the team vs removing him from the team.

That's not to say that if it came out and was proven very shortly after the AA selection he wouldn't be removed either, because I think he still would be. Clearly my logic isn't flawless depending on the circumstances.

That's a very good point, I'm sure he wouldn't be considered for the team if he was found guilty prior to the announcement, but I guess those are 2 slightly different scenarios - selecting him in the team vs removing him from the team.

That's not to say that if it came out and was proven very shortly after the AA selection he wouldn't be removed either, because I think he still would be. Clearly my logic isn't flawless depending on the circumstances.

Right. But if someone is found to be a drug cheat they should be stripped of all awards during that period where they were found to have been cheating. Not just some of the awards.

The AFL is devoid of any credibility over the entire handling of the ASADA case.

Seems a bit mercenary and oddly timed to raise it now but philosophically speaking it’s a reasonable question. My view would be yes he should be stripped of any AFL endorsed honours received in respect of that years performance, including AA selection. Fair question above as to whether the rules permit that but on one level the judges have been misled by the performance leading to the selection which perhaps may give them an escape clause to rescind the selection. I’d be surprised too if there’s not some general overriding power of the executive.

Cotchin & Mitchell won the Brownlow that year with Swan & Thompson both missing it by one vote.
They all made the AA side as did Gary Ablett, Josh Kennedy, Dayne Beames
By Brownlow votes, the highest vote getting midfielders who missed AA selection in 2012 were; Lenny Hayes, Scott Selwood & Kieren Jack.

Brownlow votes is not always a great way to judge a season though. I think from memory Jack had a great season in 2012, but I have no idea if in real terms it was better than Selwood or Hayes as I obviously know both are great players but I can't remember the specifics of their seasons in 2012. In order to do a proper AA selection after so much time some poor sod would have to watch most of the 2012 games again.

Right. But if someone is found to be a drug cheat they should be stripped of all awards during that period where they were found to have been cheating. Not just some of the awards.

The AFL is devoid of any credibility over the entire handling of the ASADA case.
The AFL is devoid of credibility with how they handle everything.

I'm inclined to agree with you, my initial post about there being no 'fairest' clause in the AA selection is what I believe the AFL are hanging their hat on by not removing him from the team, not what I think is the right thing to do.

What would they do with the team if they stripped him of it? Leave the spot empty (à la the NRL premiers in 2007 & 2009) or try and figure out who was next in line? Not that confusion about what to do next should be a reason to keep him in.

Back