News Ned Guy List Manager to leave after MD

Remove this Banner Ad

So they're working for nothing? Not sure how this works. Do you know any more?

Relating to the pro scout stuff. This is a post of Scodogs earlier that explains it. It's not confirmed but reading between the lines.

It sounds to me that we're going to be using a system similar to the one Pelchen developed called STAR.

If it's the same it'll operate as a range of free lance scouts submitting data to a central system that we access and draw from on players we're interested in.

IMO, it has its pros and cons, but is probably an efficient solution to the FD cap limits whereby we pay for the program not the actual scouts thereby increasing eyes on the ground whilst keeping the investment down.

Relating to the pro scout stuff. This is a post of Scodogs earlier that explains it. It's not confirmed but reading between the lines.

And why haven't we done this already?!
Eddie really just lost touch didn't he.

I'm sick to death of being proven right.

And you might want to check who gave a different opinion and who started bagging people for it.
Looking forward to reading how happy you are this time next year to have been proven wrong. Seriously though, unless you sat in on the interview you are really in the dark about this Guy like the rest of us. It's a wait and see and hope that he has the necessary skill set.
The club thinks he does.

I think I was quite optimistic and ultimately wide of the mark. Gleeson's article indicates its as simple as a network for identifying talent within clubland. It's an investment that most clubs started making 5 years ago.

With these sort of appointments I am happy to hope and trust that the club gets it right. I probably have a different view to most in that I believe that virtually all of us are whistling Dixie when it comes to assessing these internal appointments. This fits well into this catagory as until yesterday none of us would have been contemplating this appointment or the candidate. We have no means of really assessing .

We want the club to be proactive and make a few changes. That's happening and now we sit back and wait and hope they get right. While our recent history has contain some mistakes not too far back we were getting more things right so hopefully we are back on that path. I think it's fine to have an opinion on appointments like this and CEOs, medical and fitness staff, assistant coaches and recruiters but our views should really all contain a * saying we recognise we really have NFI when it comes to the pinch. The rider on this would be posters like snoopdog and Knightmare who because of the effort and time they put into their area have a true expertise outside the rest of us. Which is why they are such a valuable asset to the board.

The things we can have a realistic opinion on for mine is the players, their performance and the senior coach. After that we know so little about the real performance of the rest of the staff our opinions have very limited accuracy.

With these sort of appointments I am happy to hope and trust that the club gets it right. I probably have a different view to most in that I believe that virtually all of us are whistling Dixie when it comes to assessing these internal appointments. This fits well into this catagory as until yesterday none of us would have been contemplating this appointment or the candidate. We have no means of really assessing .

We want the club to be proactive and make a few changes. That's happening and now we sit back and wait and hope they get right. While our recent history has contain some mistakes not too far back we were getting more things right so hopefully we are back on that path. I think it's fine to have an opinion on appointments like this and CEOs, medical and fitness staff, assistant coaches and recruiters but our views should really all contain a * saying we recognise we really have NFI when it comes to the pinch. The rider on this would be posters like snoopdog and Knightmare who because of the effort and time they put into their area have a true expertise outside the rest of us. Which is why they are such a valuable asset to the board.

The things we can have a realistic opinion on for mine is the players, their performance and the senior coach. After that we know so little about the real performance of the rest of the staff our opinions have very limited accuracy.

You do and there's a reason for it. You have no idea.

To explain in further detail for those that will say "you can't post that rabble rabble rabble" it is abundantly clear to even the simplest of people that we have been underresourced within the football department for going on five years.

By the simple fact of investing further in the FD or changing the structure from incredibly s**t to mildly s**t you are adding value. The club identified we needed a review and are acting on it yet somehow you still can't stomach admitting that the people that have been calling for this for years are in some small way correct. It's so terribly disappointing because you're obviously one of the most all round intelligent people on here!

Edit: just an insight into the different ways of thinking. I'm not a fan of Buckley as senior coach we all know that, yeah? The thing is I'll be as happy as a pig in s**t to admit I was wrong on him if we make a charge up the ladder next year. I'll add to my knowledge base if that takes place because it'll be a strong indication that we just didn't have the structure right around him to allow him to get the best out of himself and the group. Yes I'll still be critical of his lack of action in demanding he receive more support, but I'll still acknowledge those that backed him in as being correct!

Last edited:

To explain in further detail for those that will say "you can't post that rabble rabble rabble" it is abundantly clear to even the simplest of people that we have been underresourced within the football department for going on five years.

By the simple fact of investing further in the FD or changing the structure from incredibly s**t to mildly s**t you are adding value. The club identified we needed a review and are acting on it yet somehow you still can't stomach admitting that the people that have been calling for this for years are in some small way correct. It's so terribly disappointing because you're obviously one of the most all round intelligent people on here!

Edit: just an insight into the different ways of thinking. I'm not a fan of Buckley as senior coach we all know that, yeah? The thing is I'll be as happy as a pig in s**t to admit I was wrong on him if we make a charge up the ladder next year. I'll add to my knowledge base if that takes place because it'll be a strong indication that we just didn't have the structure right around him to allow him to get the best out of himself and the group. Yes I'll still be critical of his lack of action in demanding he receive more support, but I'll still acknowledge those that backed him in as being correct!
I think you've misinterpreted GC's comment.
I read it more about the candidate as opposed to the role.

I think you've misinterpreted GC's comment.
I read it more about the candidate as opposed to the role.

You've been tracking the thread so you know there's only been one person critiquing the candidate this was different. It's only the full blown haters that are anti Guy so to use a blanket statement "virtually all of us are whistling Dixie when it comes to assessing these internal appointments" is wrong. It's ok to admit that glass half emptiers might have been on to something with their views.

There are plenty of people on here that can identify when the club is adding value or losing it between the glass half fullers and emptiers and using a blanket statement like that is poor form, IMO. It's the sheeple and haters that more often than not have no idea.

IDK perhaps you've just misinterpreted the angle I've taken...

Scodog10 I'm not one of the haters and yet I didn't take offence to the comment.
I actually read it and said yep, simply because I have no idea about Ned Guy.
Sometimes broad statements are made so as not antagonise individuals.
Despite the best of intentions, personal feelings can and do influence a posters interpretation and in turn their response.
That said, I'm probably speaking too much on behalf of another poster, so I'll leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think you are understanding my view here. Ironically the example you used re Buckley is an opinion we share, I don't think he will make it as a coach, and was one of the positions I suggested we could have a knowlegdable opinion on.

My point in all these assessments is to question the quality of evidence we have to make a really informed view. I am in no way saying people shouldn't have a view. This is an opinion driven past time. All I am advocating is understanding at certain times we have good evidence to base our opinions on and sometimes not. In regard to this appointment I am trusting the club to get it right but I have no opinion at this point whether its a good one or not because I feel we dont have any evidence to base that view on. Hence on this one we just have to trust the club to get it right.

As to change and the footy department I think just about every poster is pleased to see movement and change there. I am and would agree with your view that our performance has been underpar in recent seasons. Hopefully upwards and onwards. As such I am unsure where you get the "can't stomach admitting" idea from. I wasn't making any comment about opinions being wrong or right.

This Ned guy sounds alright

Nothing wrong with questioning the appointment due to what is known about Guy. Definitive statements, either positive or negative are guesses unless we know more about the criteria for the manager role, the structure of the department and the processes in place to ensure fully informed decisions are made.

But we've waited to see how it pans out and hoped to find positives for years now, so forgive me for having enough..

And in case you missed it before this his CV, please read it and tell me the last sentence/statement from the Club isn't simply pulling wool over our eyes based on it.

Don't know about others but I'd rather we managed to poach a well credential list manager instead of this warped and rather left field appointment.

FFS - give it a rest.

If he brings:
- rat cunning
- creativity in dealing for players
- innovation in player remuneration and retention
- far better insight into the relative value of players
- first hand knowledge of player agent tactics behind the scenes

Then clearly its is good decision, that puts him ahead of existing list managers.

The future is NOT as much about finding players as LANDING players, and he is very very well versed in the later.

I would rather take an innovative deal maker who has the creativity to get deals done, than a seasoned list manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back