News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to disagree about being ok for leaders. Some of our older players show some leadership qualities but none are the complete package. Some of the younger players may become great leaders but right now I feel that there is a void. Quality leadership patterns need to be installed right now. As blynd_freddie mentioned leadership/on field coaching (directing players etc) comes under the same banner. Is Hodge the answer - I don't know but the trend has to stop and this is worth a try.

Agree. but Hodge is rated very highly for his leadership. I think we have some great young potential leaders, who would benefit greatly habe Hodge at the club for 2 years.

I tend to disagree about being ok for leaders. Some of our older players show some leadership qualities but none are the complete package. Some of the younger players may become great leaders but right now I feel that there is a void. Quality leadership patterns need to be installed right now. As blynd_freddie mentioned leadership/on field coaching (directing players etc) comes under the same banner. Is Hodge the answer - I don't know but the trend has to stop and this is worth a try.
Yeah agree with that. All the things I've heard indicate that we're still seen as a quiet team. That says guys aren't prepared to step up as leaders when it really counts.

There may also be a role for Hodge as a coach/developer of leaders - a bit like the role Fagan played at Hawthorn with the coaching group. That might allow Beams to be a bit more focused on other aspects of captaincy.

Like any job... you don't know, what you don't know... until someone shows you.

For the likes of Berry, Harrison, Keays, Taylor, Matho, Witherden, Robertson etc..... have never been exposed to what a great onfield leader is..... they have natural leadership elements they're displaying.... but they're about to be fast tracked by arguably the best onfield captain since Voss. Amazing for the game plan..... better for player development.

Beams seems to be a great leader..... but more behind the scenes and leading by example.

Clarko isnt perfect.... . I dont know if he truly realises how hard these guys are too find.
He hit the leadership jackpot from year one at Hawthorn.

If Hodge can organise the backline and make the mids more accountable then we're already a 2 goal better team.
I reckon that is a good challenge for the boys this year. To be 2 goals better defensively, and offensively. Get the percentage up into the 80,s ot 90,s.

So rapt to get the great man Luke Hodge into our club, closest leader I have seen to Vosssy. I have no problems with the 2 year playing contract. IMO he did not looked cooked on the field, particularly late in the year, had a new lease of life instructing the young guys at the Hawks.

2018- Play all home games + 4-5 on the road.
2019- Play 10-12 H/A games + finals.

If he decides along the way that he wants to be an assistant coach or maybe take up a development role sign him up for 2020-2022 ASAP.

So rapt to get the great man Luke Hodge into our club, closest leader I have seen to Vosssy. I have no problems with the 2 year playing contract. IMO he did not looked cooked on the field, particularly late in the year, had a new lease of life instructing the young guys at the Hawks.

If he decides along the way that he wants to be an assistant coach or maybe take up a development role sign him up for 2020-2022 ASAP.
Welcome back jp

Trade radio saying Hodgey toured the Lions facilities:rolleyes: today, I hope they showed him The Reserve at Springfield plans. I wonder what he thought of the salubrious Giffin Park.

Thats probably pretty close. He probably plays most home games and most Melbourne games in the first year at least. Hopefully the AFL will give us a break of playing the hawks in Tassie and give us a game against them in Melb instead for once.

I'd hope that that sort of workload gave him a bit better quality of football game, which combined with not training in melb in the winter helps his body recover and hold together better for the 2 years. Really anything after the first year on field is a bonus and if he can't play year 2 he's on the coaching staff then anyway.

Not every player is best developed by playing every game of the year in the AFL. Quite often development can come from having those around to teach and direct you while also playing some games in an environment like the NEAFl where you can concentrate on specific aspects. I'm very hopeful that Hodge would be able to work with someone like Cutler to turn his form downturn last year around. He's the type of player who could greatly benefit from that sort of leadership down back as he has all the tools physically, but sometime switches off mentally and doesn't get prompted or instructed quickly enough as we're still super young down there and everyone is worried about their own opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats probably pretty close. He probably plays most home games and most Melbourne games in the first year at least. Hopefully the AFL will give us a break of playing the hawks in Tassie and give us a game against them in Melb instead for once.

I'd hope that that sort of workload gave him a bit better quality of football game, which combined with not training in melb in the winter helps his body recover and hold together better for the 2 years. Really anything after the first year on field is a bonus and if he can't play year 2 he's on the coaching staff then anyway.

Not every player is best developed by playing every game of the year in the AFL. Quite often development can come from having those around to teach and direct you while also playing some games in an environment like the NEAFl where you can concentrate on specific aspects. I'm very hopeful that Hodge would be able to work with someone like Cutler to turn his form downturn last year around. He's the type of player who could greatly benefit from that sort of leadership down back as he has all the tools physically, but sometime switches off mentally and doesn't get prompted or instructed quickly enough as we're still super young down there and everyone is worried about their own opponent.

I reckon you could add McStay to the guys with the physical tools that could use a little more onfield tutelage. I reckon he could explode into the next echelon in 2018 with Hodge's guidance.

I reckon you could add McStay to the guys with the physical tools that could use a little more onfield tutelage. I reckon he could explode into the next echelon in 2018 with Hodge's guidance.
Oh yeah. McStay will thrive with someone to tell him where to be and keep him switched on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back