Podcast Podcast interview with Ricky Nixon

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope I don't regret posting this here, but I think it is definitely worth a listen.

I just had a interview with former player manager, Ricky Nixon. I know there was an AMA type of thread done on this board last year and people were getting stuck into him and HBK for even taking the time to talk to him.

I just want to say right off the top that after speaking to him for almost an hour I honestly get the feeling he is a changed person. Yes he made some mistakes (which he has admitted to), but I believe he is taking the right steps forward to get back on track.

He was honest, genuine and really easy to talk to (as you will hear).

Initially we wanted to speak to him mainly about the trade period, but we went a lot deeper than that.

In the interview we spoke about:
-His playing days
-How Flying Start come about
-How he handled the big name players
-What happened when he found out about the Wayne Carey incident
-What happened with our Tony Lockett trade
-Thoughts on Journos
-Chris Yarran saga
-Dustin Martin
-His darkest times and what got him through
-His online course on how to be a player manager
-The Footy Factory
-Myfootyagent
-Ben Cousins
-Trade talk

I know everyone will have their own opinions on him, but I hope people listen to this with an open mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people keep giving this narcissistic nimrod publicity?

I wouln't listen to that lowlife on principle (let alone talk with him).
Because he has more knowledge of football and the inner workings of a football club and contracts etc then any one of us here ever would, after all this is a football forum, would you have known that he signed Carey on a $1M contract, but North couldn't afford that price in the cap, so instead he came up with a way to pay $600k inside the cap, registered a domain name for a couple bucks and sold it to North for $400k and gave the money to Carey? Wouldn't have thought so, whether you like him or not it's interesting to have some inside knowledge about contractual stuff.

So what, I have a few bumps most weekends when going out, doesn't make me a bad person and neither should we judge him about it either.

I'd be fairly certain most of the people on here who just pot people all the time still live in their parents basement and work at safeway

I'd be fairly certain most of the people on here who just pot people all the time still live in their parents basement and work at safeway

I disagree. I think the majority of posters seem far too disgruntled to be basement dwellers. I can't imagine a basement dweller would have too much to be disgruntled about, but perhaps I am wrong? Most posters I come across appear to be disgruntled. I suspect their wives only let them online between designated hours, if so, I would probably be disgruntled as well.

Having a listen now about the Manchester United & 'big 10' stuff.

Honestly fascinating, all footy fans should have a listen.

It really paved the way forward for player managers.

Because he has more knowledge of football and the inner workings of a football club and contracts etc then any one of us here ever would, after all this is a football forum, would you have known that he signed Carey on a $1M contract, but North couldn't afford that price in the cap, so instead he came up with a way to pay $600k inside the cap, registered a domain name for a couple bucks and sold it to North for $400k and gave the money to Carey? Wouldn't have thought so, whether you like him or not it's interesting to have some inside knowledge about contractual stuff.
The problem with Sniff, Sniff Nixon is how much can you believe?

Get Sniff, Sniff on the good stuff and you're likely to hear the same story told with varying degrees of accuracy. Call him up today and I bet that story changes.

Like I said, not sure why you'd bother giving a known liar & narcissist any publicity. People of his ilk are best left to wallow in their own s**t.

Last edited:

Get Sniff, Sniff on the good stuff and you're likely to hear the same story told with vary degrees of accuracy. Call him up today and I bet that story changes.

Like I said, not sure why you'd bother giving a known liar & narcissist any publicity. People of his ilk are best left to wallow in their own s**t.
If you're not interested nobody's going to force you to listen to it FFS

Get Sniff, Sniff on the good stuff and you're likely to hear the same story told with vary degrees of accuracy. Call him up today and I bet that story changes.

Its football

If we exclude known liars and narcissists from discussion, we will all be in a prayer circle with gazza and rancey

Good interview - Tigercast is going from strength to strength.

I tend to agree that he doesn't quite understand that "Haven't you ever made a mistake?" isn't a binary question.

In the realm of "making mistakes", to what degree does, say, accidentally voting no in the SSM survey compare with destroying your family, friendships, and your career with drugs and sex then doing a live show to cash in on it? Toot toot.

Regarding players not contacting him during this self-inflicted disaster, he was paid to protect their interests. He seemed to concentrate on what he'd lost and the price he has already paid. I didn't get the feeling he thought anyone should feel betrayed by his recklessness? I dunno, maybe he does but it didn't come across in the interview.

He is landing on his feet which must be a relief for his family and friends. Hopefully his charity initiatives are successful.

Good interview - Tigercast is going from strength to strength.

I tend to agree that he doesn't quite understand that "Haven't you ever made a mistake?" isn't a binary question.

In the realm of "making mistakes", to what degree does, say, accidentally voting no in the SSM survey compare with destroying your family, friendships, and your career with drugs and sex then doing a live show to cash in on it? Toot toot.

Regarding players not contacting him during this self-inflicted disaster, he was paid to protect their interests. He seemed to concentrate on what he'd lost and the price he has already paid. I didn't get the feeling he thought anyone should feel betrayed by his recklessness? I dunno, maybe he does but it didn't come across in the interview.

He is landing on his feet which must be a relief for his family and friends. Hopefully his charity initiatives are successful.

just on the charity bit, apparently he has already raised over $1mill for cancer research already, assuming that number is close to accurate thats a great thing no matter what side of the fence you sit on with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back