Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you get fans complaining that it's getting too expensive. The AFL can't win. There are contracts in place that can't just be broken.

The easiest solution is to not join a league which has played their grand final in Victoria for 100 years prior.
The easiest solution is to time travel?

I would have said the easiest solution is to not be a €ockwomble. Appears that you disagree.

Yeah two teams rolled into one.

Roll two teams into one now with a good coach and see what happens.

Give clarkson hawks and norf or hawks and brisbane and watch the magic.

It would be like - wow look at all these really good players and our amazing depth

For extra points base this team at the gabba which is quite similar to the g in dimensions
How do you explain West Coasts 3 Grand Final Wins at the MCG?

How do you explain West Coasts 3 Grand Final Wins at the MCG?
Errr the first two were against geelong - with the prototype for modern recruiting and professionalism

The second one was against sydney.

We have however lost two to hawthorn and one to sydney

Errr the first two were against geelong - with the prototype for modern recruiting and professionalism

The second one was against sydney.

We have however lost two to hawthorn and one to sydney
Doesn't answer the question,
you are moaning about "home"ground advantage,travel, biased crowds, once again how do you explain West Coasts 3 Grand Final Wins at the MCG?
what advantage did Sydney have when West Coast beat them at the MCG?
Maybe, just maybe the best team won on the day

There is no such thing as a home or away Grand Final. The Grand Final is at the MCG. That's it. Whose home ground, state, country whatever is of no relevance.
Further I am strongly against long term contracts that lock in an event for 40 years etc. They are unethical. Such deals should never extend beyond a maximum of ten years.
Given around 17000 members from the two competing clubs and about 20000 corporate tickets for a grand final that's 54000. Any stadium with this capacity should be able to bid for the game much like Olympics etc. If the winning bid happens to be in the state of one of the competitors so be it.

There is no such thing as a home or away Grand Final. The Grand Final is at the MCG. That's it. Whose home ground, state, country whatever is of no relevance.
Further I am strongly against long term contracts that lock in an event for 40 years etc. They are unethical. Such deals should never extend beyond a maximum of ten years.
Given around 17000 members from the two competing clubs and about 20000 corporate tickets for a grand final that's 54000. Any stadium with this capacity should be able to bid for the game much like Olympics etc. If the winning bid happens to be in the state of one of the competitors so be it.
Oh what a surprise you support a team who's home ground is MCG

Agree with the last part of your post. Who's home ground it is has a massive impact on the outcome though

Oh what a surprise you support a team who's home ground is MCG
Did you read my whole post!
Just for you, between Aug 1 and Oct 3, 2015 Hawthorn travelled 3 times to WA. Winning 2 and losing one. Always to a 'higher ranked' opponent. Westcoast travelled 3 times, once to the Goldcoast, Adelaide and Melbourne and could only manage a draw to the then 17th placed Goldcoast and two losses. Westcoast are mummy's boys who can't play outside their own backyard. When they grow up they might achieve status of anytime anywhere!

Source please. It was mentioned during the telecast Richmond had approx 70% crowd support.
Richmond also have over 70 000 members so I would think they would gobble up almost all of the AFL members seat allocation also. A luxury only afforded to people who live in Melbourne
The people doing the broadcast are idiots who don't know the rules and don't know much at all to be honest. That's not how the AFL members works. Richmond members don't have access to the AFL Members Reserve, only AFL Members do and off the top of my head there is about 3k of them with Richmond as their club of support. Majority of the Reserve is neutral on GF day as is the MCC. Will find the table they published and post it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people going to whinge about this for the whole off-season? It's not going to change for at least the next 20 years, just deal with it...
When there is genuine inequality we will continue to whinge and if the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee 100% you would be too!!! Get over this....its the way it is &%&$! If vics continue this trend of beating interstate teams on the G when they've finished lower on the ladder, something is going to have to change! We've seen so many changes in Australia so that things are fair, the vfl, I mean afl need to make sure we have a fair and equal system for all!

The people doing the broadcast are idiots who don't know the rules and don't know much at all to be honest. That's not how the AFL members works. Richmond members don't have access to the AFL Members Reserve, only AFL Members do and off the top of my head there is about 3k of them with Richmond as their club of support. Majority of the Reserve is neutral on GF day as is the MCC. Will find the table they published and post it.
It's amazing how these people (not you blue harvest) that have no idea are telling us how the game should be run. I started typing some replies but then realised I'd have to explain every little detail of everything to them and even then they'd argue, so didn't bother.

Interstaters, go to the AFL website and read up on how GF ticket allocation and AFL membership works. As far as all Victorians being behind the Tigers on GF day, take a look at where everyone commenting is from and who they barrack for. Then take a look at the poll in here asking who people hoped would win the GF and you'll get a clue as to what percentage of people were barracking for the Tigers. Here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/neutrals-who-are-you-supporting-in-the-gf.1177992/

Richmond haven't been 'Big 4' on the field for almost four decades. Plenty of younger fans have only known them as a basketcase that posed no threat to their success and would have been happy to support the local 'underdog'.
Yeah we haven't been very successful on-field at all yet are always near the top in membership and crowd figures for some reason...

Alright so the percentages of the ticket increase are wrong. The theory is still solid.

Adelaide 90% increase
Sydney 40% increase
Perth 70% increase
Why is Sydney just a 40% increase?

Etihad is 53K
AO is 53K
SCG is 46K
Gabba is 42K.
Cattery is 34K
Metricon is 25K
Spotless is 20K

The GF in the major football competitions, VFL/AFL, WAFL, SANFL isn't played at the higher ranked teams home ground. It is played at the biggest and best ground available to the league.

As an Eagle, I assume that you are aware that the WAFL GF has been played at Subiaco Oval since the 30s. What an outrage that Subiaco received such a leg-up in the 80s when they won some flags.

But despite higher ranked teams never having a ground advantage in any of the leagues, a handful of WA fans bitch and moan just because they live in the most isolated city in the world and thus have to travel further than fans of teams who live on the east coast where 75% of Australia's population and 77% of the competing teams in the completion are based.

The bleating is comparable to a Peel Thunder fan sooking that it is ridiculous they don't get to play a WAFL GF at Rushton Park, instead having to travel all the way to a Perth stadium every year.

If WA based teams and fans want to compete in a national Australian competition, they have to just deal with the fact that 75% of Australia's population is based on the east coast, so they will have to travel further. It ain't unfair, it is just extrapolating the same localised WAFL conditions on a national scale and from an AFL perspective WA clubs are the Peel Thunder,

WAFL ain't shifting the GF to a lil s**t box miles away from the big smoke just because a couple of Mandurah locals have a sook either.

Are people going to whinge about this for the whole off-season? It's not going to change for at least the next 20 years, just deal with it...

Exactly. This argument is becoming very tired and I'm fed up with it. People can crap on about it as much as they like but it's not going to change a thing. Get over it.

Did you read my whole post!
Just for you, between Aug 1 and Oct 3, 2015 Hawthorn travelled 3 times to WA. Winning 2 and losing one. Always to a 'higher ranked' opponent. Westcoast travelled 3 times, once to the Goldcoast, Adelaide and Melbourne and could only manage a draw to the then 17th placed Goldcoast and two losses. Westcoast are mummy's boys who can't play outside their own backyard. When they grow up they might achieve status of anytime anywhere!
We lost 5 games all year, finished above you on the ladder and flogged you in the qualifying final before having to try a beat you on your home ground for the flag

When there is genuine inequality we will continue to whinge and if the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee 100% you would be too!!! Get over this....its the way it is &%&$! If vics continue this trend of beating interstate teams on the G when they've finished lower on the ladder, something is going to have to change! We've seen so many changes in Australia so that things are fair, the vfl, I mean afl need to make sure we have a fair and equal system for all!

No, it doesn't, and it's not going to. You idiots aren't listening to the reasons why, all you want is some feeble excuse as to why your teams aren't winning. Please, and I'm begging all people like you, STFU.

Yeah we haven't been very successful on-field at all yet are always near the top in membership and crowd figures for some reason...
Agreed; Richmond have some dedicated fans. My point was simply that the fierce rivalry with other clubs wouldn't be as strong among younger fans who have never seen Richmond dominate them. Anyone questioning the support Richmond has on the day only need to use their ears. If there were only 17,500 Richmond fans there, then most of the neutrals were going for the Tigers.

No, it doesn't, and it's not going to. You idiots aren't listening to the reasons why, all you want is some feeble excuse as to why your teams aren't winning. Please, and I'm begging all people like you, STFU.
The only 'idiots' are those that think there is no advantage to a team playing on their home ground without having to travel. Many people on here understand that things are unlikely to change but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.

Last edited:
I'll take the broadcasters word over your top of your head assumption thanks. 70 / 30 Richmond crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back