Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The only one to peddle the rumour is Hagdorn who is historically poor on Fremantle information.
He was the first to call Wilson and Matera to Freo this year but that's almost certainly a result of his links to their manager Colin Young rather than Fremantle.
I made this post on the Fremantle board
That's a very convincing argument

Cheers mate...appreciate it....any names?

Essendon will hunt me down! Know there's a few country kids, as well as Calder Cannons kids.

Hey Bishop,
Interested in oscar Allen as tigers need a young kpf. How has he gone post championships and how do you rate his athleticism, marking, leads and kicking?
I reckon if his height is the only concern to play kpf then he would be worth tigers first pick.

I think he's in that mix, might be a touch too early. Reckon he's closer to 25 than 15 - His athleticism is pretty good, very good vertical leap/running jump. Height will impact him - not a No.1 tall at the next level. I probably liked some of his highlights earlier in the year than in the second half of the year.

I just don't have an idea about where Fogarty will play at AFL level. I am thinking about a poor mans Darling?

If I was after a midfielder, there are a heap of names before him, if I want a forward, there are a few names ahead of him.
Yet we have people on BF and even Twomey saying he is high up in the ratings.

That's the issue at club land - they've got no idea either.

I can't see him going top 10 - maybe the Crows at 10 would be the earliest.

Doesn't look like there are many KPF that will be going in the Top 20. Makes it hard for the Tigers, Bishop :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't look like there are many KPF that will be going in the Top 20. Makes it hard for the Tigers, Bishop :(

On the contrary - if all other clubs who have selections early are picking up mids, that should make it easier for the reigning premiers to pick a KPF up at selections 15, 17, 50 or 53.

Clubs are entitled to pick players that suit their list needs as opposed to "next best available" aren't they?

On the contrary - if all other clubs who have selections early are picking up mids, that should make it easier for the reigning premiers to pick a KPF up at selections 15, 17, 50 or 53.

Clubs are entitled to pick players that suit their list needs as opposed to "next best available" aren't they?
Who are these KPF drfiting?

So is there any talent from SA, we saw Jack Graham kick 3 in the GF and give sloane a run at pick 53, although he was the lark medalist and hayward at pick 18 get a rising star nomination and play most of the year for Sydney , the previous year pick 19 saw Burton go to Hawks and they are still grinning

Reckon there are a few that I know of that may again surprise with 90% of the top 20 from the TAC, recruiters may not be working to hard for their money

So is there any talent from SA, we saw Jack Graham kick 3 in the GF and give sloane a run at pick 53, although he was the lark medalist and hayward at pick 18 get a rising star nomination and play most of the year for Sydney , the previous year pick 19 saw Burton go to Hawks and they are still grinning

Reckon there are a few that I know of that may again surprise with 90% of the top 20 from the TAC, recruiters may not be working to hard for their money

Burton had an insanely bad injury, that is why he dropped so much.

Is what it is - you don't reach for players. There's other ways of bringing them in. It succeeded this year without another tall forward. Brander/Hayes decent chance to be there at Pick 15 so not out of it totally.

Reckon we may almost have a top 10 without any talls in it.

Bonar smashing the combine rn

2.9 in the 20

Really hope he lasts to 7 & Saints grab him

Would be a good selection there - don't think anyone earlier would take him.

Don't agree. If you were to re-do the draft again - Graham still probably falls late. You'd gotta remember that you aren't recruiting for the now, but the future. Graham was always going to be more ready than some of the other kids that were drafted ahead of him last year.

Fogarty, Ballard, Allen, Naughton, Ballenden the only non-TAC Cup kids I could see going in the top 25 at the moment.

Bonar smashing the combine rn

2.9 in the 20

Really hope he lasts to 7 & Saints grab him

He'll be there IMO.

He will be the 4th player taken.......

.....from Haileybury College.

If he's only the 4th best top ager from one school (probably 6th best player in the team including the Kings) you can be pretty confident he won't go in the top 7 in the whole country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any guesses who's chatting to Ross in this photo? Ross is 183cm and they seem to be similar in height.
My best guess was Worpel but I'm not convinced
423826_ea586ce6e19f1fc042e5dd03f48a5ea6.jpeg
Dlaof1F.png

Have had a few people message me about this - the people in question are Trent Moseby (Freo recruiter) and Aaron Naughton.

Is what it is - you don't reach for players. There's other ways of bringing them in. It succeeded this year without another tall forward. Brander/Hayes decent chance to be there at Pick 15 so not out of it totally.

Reckon we may almost have a top 10 without any talls in it.

Would be a good selection there - don't think anyone earlier would take him.

Don't agree. If you were to re-do the draft again - Graham still probably falls late. You'd gotta remember that you aren't recruiting for the now, but the future. Graham was always going to be more ready than some of the other kids that were drafted ahead of him last year.

Fogarty, Ballard, Allen, Naughton, Ballenden the only non-TAC Cup kids I could see going in the top 25 at the moment.

Recruiters got Graham so so so wrong he stood Rory Sloane and kicked three goals in the biggest game of the year, Talk about Boyd being worth $1 million for the GF, Graham would have been worth a top 10 on that alone, GF wins dont come along that often ask richmond

They could very much be both off the board - I'd take Bonar, reckon he can develop into a star. Clark I've liked much more in the 2nd half of the year than I did coming into the season.

Have you heard any particular clubs that might be interested in Bonar in that 5-11 range? Really starting to warm to him.

Recruiters got Graham so so so wrong he stood Rory Sloane and kicked three goals in the biggest game of the year, Talk about Boyd being worth $1 million for the GF, Graham would have been worth a top 10 on that alone, GF wins dont come along that often ask richmond

One swallow doesn't make a summer. He's not worth top 10 alone.

Bishop - who was the midfield endurance beast who topped the dreaded Yo-Yo test?

Told Brayshaw won over Moore - but need to double check.

Have you heard any particular clubs that might be interested in Bonar in that 5-11 range? Really starting to warm to him.

St Kilda the obvious one - they've got two picks so they could punt. Reckon the Dogs a chance too.

Do you think Andrew Brayshaw will be available at pick 10? Could be a good addition to Carlton if we trade Gibbs to the Crows (they should receive it as part of the Lever deal)

Do you think Andrew Brayshaw will be available at pick 10? Could be a good addition to Carlton if we trade Gibbs to the Crows (they should receive it as part of the Lever deal)

I'll eat my hat if Brayshaw is available at 10. He's the best player out of Haileybury College this year.

McGrath v2.0

I have him going #1. At worst #4

I'll eat my hat if Brayshaw is available at 10. He's the best player out of Haileybury College this year.

McGrath v2.0

I have him going #1. At worst #4
Spot on. Word is that Brisbane have him at #2 on the draftboard after LDU. Can lock as a top 5 pick at this stage.

Last edited:
Conole mentioned Rayner LDU and Brayshaw as all chances for pick 1 so most likely Brisbane are looking at inside midfielders but you have us linked to Dow is he a gut feeling or are you hearing something
I see Rayner has said going to Brisbane would not bother him.

Lions rate Brayshaw very highly - including their coach Chris Fagan who liked what he saw in the TAC Cup Finals. I doubt he's there at Pick 10, reckon Fremantle at Pick 5 a good chance.

I see Rayner has said going to Brisbane would not bother him.

Well what do you honestly expect Cam to say? Nah I don't want to go - of course not. Don't read into anything they say.

Bishop I haven’t had the time this year to familiarise myself with this lot of draftee’s. West Coast are obviously in need of Inside Mids but also pace on the outside, who would you say would be ideal at their first two picks? 13 & 30 or are are there any whispers about who they’re keen on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back