AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 3x AA 🏅🏅🏅 4x Crichton Medallist 🥇🥇🥇🥇

Remove this Banner Ad

We talking about the same Tom Mitchell that leads Zach in every "best player" poll by SEN, Age, Herald Sun, 3AW etc and will beat him on brownlow votes too?

The same Tom Mitchell that had more clearances, contested possessions, score involvements, goals, marks, tackles? Only 2 games below 30 touches... only a total of 8 below 35.

Dont fall for the same "not damaging enough" meme bigfooty tried to put on Merrett. Tom Mitchell was a gun this year. Only behind Danger and Dusty in 2017

upload_2017-9-26_8-50-53.png

:cool:

I'm with Yaco on this one, I think it's less a fault of Zach tho and more on what the coaching staff had him doing.

100% correct with your post - I was bemoaning from around round 3 that Merrett was obtaining too many possessions in the back half and he didn't spend enough time in centre bounces for the first half of the year - Coaches got the balance better in the last third of the year.

Crime stoppers number - 1800 333 000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really think he was robbed? Only missed out by 17 votes and missed a game.

In all seriousness, it's kind of nice to see him finish outside the top 3, if only just, considering the level he played at (for the most part).

In all seriousness, it's kind of nice to see him finish outside the top 3, if only just, considering the level he played at (for the most part).

that’s the best video!

I like the idea of him entering pre-season with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Keep the motivation high and see whether he can take his game up a notch.

I think the finish is about right.

He started in a blaze of glory but was not consistently impacting games later in the season.

Hopefully next year he is getting most of his footy between the arcs and kicking the ball into forward 50.

I think the finish is about right.

He started in a blaze of glory but was not consistently impacting games later in the season.

Hopefully next year he is getting most of his footy between the arcs and kicking the ball into forward 50.

Some are dazzled by stats, rather than impact - I thought Merrett and Hurley would poll lower than expected - 2018 should see Merrett gain more possesions in the forward half, while Hurley needs less possessions and better one-on-one defending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back