2018 fixture requests

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably just the obvious for a North supporter:
  • Good Friday against Footscray
  • I like being undercover at Etihad but a couple more games at the G spot for experience would be nice

Surely you have the figures somewhere? Again, Sydney had COLA for most of that time period, Brisbane were reaping the benefits of it in the first half of the decade.

Not really...I just added up a list of numbers and posted the total. Per club didn't really matter that much, so in the interest of brevity I left that out.

Its really not that hard if you want to do it yourself and if you do you can break it down however you like.

West Coast at the SCG for once instead of almost always playing them in Perth

Adelaide at the SCG

Not play Carlton twice again

Essendon at either Docklands or the MCG

Not play Geelong at KP for like the 1000th time this century

West Coast at the SCG for once instead of almost always playing them in Perth

Adelaide at the SCG

Not play Carlton twice again

Essendon at either Docklands or the MCG

Not play Geelong at KP for like the 1000th time this century
We'll see you down the highway in 2018 :thumbsu:

So your club has made a commitment in the form of a contract sometime in the past then?

No? Why not? They just so want 11 games so bad...
Now that's a chip blind freddy could see if he was on the other side of the world.

How
do you know they won't go and do just that? Stop being a smug prick.....oh wait, I just figured it out.

It couldn't possibly be that Carlton are expected to be coming down to Geelong in 2018 is it? Shocking call by AFL, as can be seen by Carltons ladder position in the past 5 years, as well as their membership and crowd figures that have gone through the roof, the AFL wouldn't want to lock them all out....

Now that's a chip blind freddy could see if he was on the other side of the world.

How
do you know they won't go and do just that? Stop being a smug prick.....oh wait, I just figured it out.

It couldn't possibly be that Carlton are expected to be coming down to Geelong in 2018 is it? Shocking call by AFL, as can be seen by Carltons ladder position in the past 5 years, as well as their membership and crowd figures that have gone through the roof, the AFL wouldn't want to lock them all out....

He's right though....

Practically every AFL stadium build/rebuild/replacement in the past 30 years or so has included in it's deal a number of games that must be played there.....Except Kardinia park.

Surely if they really wanted 11 games (let alone finals), they would have done something about it when those deals were being made. (unless they were grossly incompetent and forgot...).

But no...No action, just a few empty words here and there, aimed at the fans rather than anyone who can actually do anything.

Even that tweet...The club asked for 11 hoping for 9...No fight, no plan, no action, just an empty request and 'hope'.

He's right though....

Practically every AFL stadium build/rebuild/replacement in the past 30 years or so has included in it's deal a number of games that must be played there.....Except Kardinia park.

Surely if they really wanted 11 games (let alone finals), they would have done something about it when those deals were being made. (unless they were grossly incompetent and forgot...).

But no...No action, just a few empty words here and there, aimed at the fans rather than anyone who can actually do anything.

Even that tweet...The club asked for 11 hoping for 9...No fight, no plan, no action, just an empty request and 'hope'.
So you agree that your two comments contradict each other.

How so?

They DO nothing. All talk, no action. If they really wanted things to change, they'd do something.
I agree, and the reason they don't points to one of two possibilities.

1) The club has no say where their home games are played, because the contract is between the stadium and the AFL, and the club has no contractual obligations to play at the stadium directly
2) The pull of playing in Melbourne outweighs the benefits on and off the field in Geelong

As a member, it annoys me that the club isn't stronger on this issue, but the fact that they're publically setting the benchmark at 11 home games means that maybe something is changing.

I know you're of the belief that's it's reason number 2 why Geelong doesn't play all 11 at Geelong, I'm of the belief it might be a mix of both.

I agree, and the reason they don't points to one of two possibilities.

1) The club has no say where their home games are played, because the contract is between the stadium and the AFL, and the club has no contractual obligations to play at the stadium directly
2) The pull of playing in Melbourne outweighs the benefits on and off the field in Geelong

As a member, it annoys me that the club isn't stronger on this issue, but the fact that they're publically setting the benchmark at 11 home games means that maybe something is changing.

I know you're of the belief that's it's reason number 2 why Geelong doesn't play all 11 at Geelong, I'm of the belief it might be a mix of both.

I think they know it's never going to happen but keep talking the issue up (while not actually doing anything) to keep the fanbase stirred up and motivated in their support of the club by giving them an 'us against them'.

As I said, their big opportunity to actually DO something was when they were arranging hundreds of millions to upgrade the stadium, but they didn't and one can only assume that either the club's senior executives don't really want it, or they knew that those bankrolling the rebuild wouldn't pay for it if that was a condition....I suspect it was a bit of both. Either way, they know the lay of the land and any further talk is purely for PR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they know it's never going to happen but keep talking the issue up (while not actually doing anything) to keep the fanbase stirred up and motivated in their support of the club by giving them an 'us against them'.

As I said, their big opportunity to actually DO something was when they were arranging hundreds of millions to upgrade the stadium, but they didn't and one can only assume that either the club's senior executives don't really want it, or they knew that those bankrolling the rebuild wouldn't pay for it if that was a condition....I suspect it was a bit of both. Either way, they know the lay of the land and any further talk is purely for PR.
There's one more stage left before the redevelopment is complete. I think there's a little bit of watch this space, a little bit of PR and a little bit of rustling of both the AFL and the fan base.

There's one more stage left before the redevelopment is complete. I think there's a little bit of watch this space, a little bit of PR and a little bit of rustling of both the AFL and the fan base.

I'll bet that no deal is made for 11 games+finals to be played there.

If they pushed hard for that, those paying the bills are unlikely to be as forthcoming, and the redevelopment probably won't happen.

Just want some Friday night footy for the Tigers.
And to play Essendon and Collingwood twice. The more big games the better. Hopefully all three clubs are up and about.

No home games at Etihad would be good, especially against Etihad based sides

You will get your Friday night games. Bank on Richmond v Hawthorn/Sydney/Adelaide/Essendon/Geelong all being Friday night MCG gamaes. You also wont be playing home games at Etihad. Did that even happen this season?

You will get your Friday night games. Bank on Richmond v Hawthorn/Sydney/Adelaide/Essendon/Geelong all being Friday night MCG gamaes. You also wont be playing home games at Etihad. Did that even happen this season?
We played Brisbane there this year. We have played one or two a year there in recent times, sometimes against a north or bulldogs as our home game.

We played Brisbane there this year. We have played one or two a year there in recent times, sometimes against a north or bulldogs as our home game.

Seems stupid. But as mentioned, can't see you playing home games there next season. Tiger army is only going to get bigger. Wouldn't surprise me if crack 77k members.

I want to sleep with a supermodel.

Should the AFL make that happen too, just because I uttered a few words here and there?

Fact is, when it comes to actually DOING, you do nothing towards it, because those inside your club are smart enough to know better. (either that or they're majorly stupid and missed several clear opportunities that all other ground owners noticed when they built/expanded their grounds).

So which is it...are your management smart enough to recognise reality or massively stupid?
Is this good enough for you?

5EA71179-5985-45B2-88BE-6E63243965AF.jpeg

Everyone who finished in the top 8 should play each other twice. Everyone in the top 8 should play Melbourne twice, too, since Melbourne finished on the same number of wins as West Coast. In particular, since they didn't happen this year, we should see:

Richmond vs. Adelaide (MCG)
GWS vs. Adelaide (SPO/Canberra)
Sydney vs. Adelaide (SCG)
Adelaide vs. West Coast (AO)
Melbourne vs. Adelaide (MCG) (Yes they played each other twice, but they didn't play at the G)
Richmond vs. Geelong (MCG)
Richmond vs. Port Adelaide (MCG)
Sydney vs. Richmond (SCG)
Richmond vs. Essendon x 2 (MCG)
West Coast vs. Richmond (Perth stadium, should be the opener if it isn't a derby but Richmond/Carlton will ensure that doesn't happen... should go with Carlton and Collingwood to open the season)
Richmond vs. Melbourne x 2 (MCG)

Then just reverse the one time fixtures of last year (i.e. Adelaide vs. Carlton @ AO, Collingwood vs. Fremantle @ MCG etc).

No Sunday twilights (but I expect 5-7 home game ones), no back to back travel, no back to back 6 day (or less) breaks unless opposition is doing the same.

Other than that, meh, to finish in the top few (unlikely) you've got to be prepared to take on anyone anywhere.

How I'd do round 1. Wouldn't have Richmond vs. Carlton but it's gonna happen. If Collingwood vs. Melbourne does happen, then make it West Coast vs. Hawthorn instead. This is for the most part based on ladder positions.

Thursday night - Richmond vs. Carlton MCG
Friday night - Geelong vs. Adelaide Simonds
Saturday - North vs. Fremantle Etihad
Saturday twilight - Sydney vs. Essendon SCG
Saturday night - Hawthorn vs. Collingwood MCG
Saturday night - West Coast vs. Melbourne Perth
Sunday early - Brisbane vs. Gold Coast Gabba
Sunday - Port Adelaide vs. GWS AO
Sunday twilight - Western Bulldogs vs. St Kilda Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back