2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There has to be a 'at the discretion of the AFL' in the compensation documentation somewhere.

There is, but only if it's "manifestly incorrect" (or words to that effect). I don't think Band 2 for Rocky would fit that description.

I don't recall a hell of a lot of players saying "trade me back to my home state, I don't care what club" before the free agency era either to be fair.
To be fair I don't recall there being the volume of player movement before free agency or the volume of contracted player movement before free agency so the AFL have had their desired outcome in that respect.

Your absolutely right however I don't think anyone had requested a trade to a state with no specific club nominated, though I know however naive it would seem, I believed that landscape would change with the introduction of free agency, the AFL having provided the players with fair and financially rewarding way of getting to the club of their choice, I would have thought contracted players and uncontracted players who did not qualify for free agency would provide more currency to their current club if they chose to move.

That doesn't seem to be the case, in fact it appears to have become worse ( for contracted players) as free agency hangs over the heads of clubs as warning of what may eventuate when their player comes out of contract, now player managers use free agency as tool to unlock contracts ( especially frontended) to shift their players to the clubs of their choice and in some cases ( tomlinson) for better deals. In my veiw the AFL should look at including trade and non tade (especially for frontended contracts) clauses into contracts for club protection, you could call it the Ablett clause:), it seems to me that there is no difference between that and the limitation of trading of future picks, both would be in protection of the club.

As for uncontracted players who don't qualify for free agency, which would consist mostly of younger draftees and rookie listed players, they should be a tradeable commodity for clubs to everywhere and anywhere im my opinion. If players who have just completed their first AFL contract (which was 4 years imo) and he or she wanted to move back home and the club could engage all clubs from that state then I believe clubs would get better value for their uncontracted players.

I can't help but wonder if a Charlie Cameron or a Dayne Beams weren't allowed to nominate a club if we still would have tried to get them and if so how it would have affected the trade. In theory I would suggest that Collingwood and Adelaide would have and would be able to manufacture better deals with multiple clubs in the hunt, not that didn't and won't get an adequate deal anyway but the deals could have/ be better if they could create a bidding war and in such a scenario would brisbane or any club for that matter chase contracted players at all?

The Afl have made it pretty clear that they want player movement. Same with the Aflpa.
Why though?

All I can come up with is player movement produces a lot of media coverage and the AFL want nothing more than to stay at the forefront of news coverage beyond the traditional football season.

Other than that, I don’t quite understand why anyone necessarily “wants” player movement beyond whet it was 20+ years ago.

I just doubt we’ll see too many players reaching 300+ games st the one club anymore which I think is sad in a lot of respects.

We will all just have to get used to player movement, it's only going to get worse IMO, eventually we will get to a situation where every player coming OOC is a free agent with zero compensation, the only players traded will be in contract. There is massive player movement in most other major sports around the world eg. NRL, soccer leagues.

From sliding doors: If Luke Hodge hadn't 'retired'... then
he'd be a free agent. Meaning the Lions wouldn't get lucrative compo for their exiting free agent Rockliff. Yet another loophole to be rorted in this highly questionable free agency compo system.
I know it's Barrett and all but I'm not sure this has been raised. Is it something to consider?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

he'd be a free agent. Meaning the Lions wouldn't get lucrative compo for their exiting free agent Rockliff. Yet another loophole to be rorted in this highly questionable free agency compo system.
I know it's Barrett and all but I'm not sure this has been raised. Is it something to consider?

I consider Barrett a nincompoop.

Why though?

All I can come up with is player movement produces a lot of media coverage and the AFL want nothing more than to stay at the forefront of news coverage beyond the traditional football season.

Other than that, I don’t quite understand why anyone necessarily “wants” player movement beyond whet it was 20+ years ago.

I just doubt we’ll see too many players reaching 300+ games st the one club anymore which I think is sad in a lot of respects.
Equalization????????
Apparently!

Barrett neglects to mention that even if that was the case ( he hadn't retired) we still could have negotiated a trade with the hawks of similar nature to avoid the impact of a free agency recruit. Barrett's a knob

Barrett neglects to mention that even if that was the case ( he hadn't retired) we still could have negotiated a trade with the hawks of similar nature to avoid the impact of a free agency recruit. Barrett's a knob

Yep. I wonder if he got his knickers in a knot over Monfries getting traded despite being a FA because Port didn't want to ruin their Chaplin and Pearce (I think) compensation picks. Nah, who am I kidding.

There is, but only if it's "manifestly incorrect" (or words to that effect). I don't think Band 2 for Rocky would fit that description.

Do I remember correctly that there was something in the mix re AAs, B&Fs etc in terms of the AFLs discretion or was that a different piece of 'rules' subjectivity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do I remember correctly that there was something in the mix re AAs, B&Fs etc in terms of the AFLs discretion or was that a different piece of 'rules' subjectivity?

There is not.

"In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result."

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

Personally I think that the whole media campaign has been scared about us netting pick 2 and are doing all they can to convince the Afl that band 2 or 3 is more than enough.
Even if his salary is high enough to net band 1.
Maybe Barrett has heard that there is a possibility for band 1 and that is why he is saying they need to get rid of compensation all together.
Just thinking out loud, but in silence.

Why though?

I think Player Movement is to make the competition more fluid in terms of who the teams are that may be in the top half of the ladder. Whilst im not a true fan of this tactic im sure it will only worsen as salary caps continue to rise over the coming years and players seek to cash in whilst they can.

Has the whole mid round compensation for losing a free agent been done away with i.e. pick 11 for losing Rockliff?

It never existed. There's been a persistent idea that perhaps one ought to exist, but it hasn't happened yet.

Does the circumstance of us being woodenspooners and losing a top three player to a finals team have any impact? On face value we should be getting more than an end of first round/start of second round pick.

I was wondering if we'd finished mid table of the AFL would have been more likely to give us band 1. Who knows how they interpret these things.

If Port are getting a 2nd round pick for Trengove on about 500K (rumoured) that has to mean we get higher than that surely

So that would be band 3 for Trengove? Not liking the chances of Rocky being two bands higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back