Autopsy Wayne Carey: "Jack > Buddy"

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is a supremely better player, but he's a player without a home. He's like a massive winger/small forward.

He can't mark, so a third man up is particularly effective, there just isn't the space to move in the modern game's forward 50. When he gets a shot inside 50 often uncontested or from a free kick, he isn't a great set shot. So you play him up the ground and hope he wins the ground ball.

I've always maintained that if i was building a team I'd pick a traditional key forward (like a Kennedy) over Franklin. They bring the ball to ground, get small forwards into the game and provide structure.

Buddy might kick 60.50, his enormous goals are incredible, but it's also wasteful and your team becomes too Lance-centric.

Hawthorn lost a grand final with him, recognised the above issues and changed. Sydney has now lost two more with him. You can scoff all you want, but until that changes, them's the facts.
Buddy took more Contested marks than Jack this year....

You're more than welcome to look up their stats. Franklin kicked 20 more goals, had 50% more goal assists, 3 possessions more a game, half a mark more a game this year. Franklin lays .2 less tackles a game which is about the only stat Riewoldt beat him in. The only times Franklin doesn't win the Coleman is when he is injured for a 1/3 of the season. Evidently, in 2012 Jack won the Coleman with 65 goals from 22 games. Franklin kicked 69 in 19 games that year. Its actually embarrassing that someone would argue that Jack is even in his league little own better than one of the all time great players. Not a little bit embarrassing, but, burn your computer and gouge your eyes out so you never infect the game with your stupidity embarrassing.
Nice rant, stats only ever tell part of the story of course Buddy is a better player than Riewoldt but Jack had a job to do this year that didnt always involve him being the star or require him to kick goals, he did the job beautifully and now has a Premiership medalion to go with his two Colemans and AA selection.
Also raked in 3 beautiful marks in the GF two of which were beyond Buddies abilities;)

I wonder if Carey and Matthews have an internal bet about who can convince the football public of the most ridiculous idea first. Because both of them come out with one horrible idea after another.

Tell me you didnt put tubby porkins above Reiwoldt, oh my, you did.

Surely even you dont believe that

The others on the list I can except, Hawkins is not even close

I've watched both Riewoldt and Hawkins for a decade and J. Riewoldt is the Milhouse of AFL FF's.

c608e6c241895c2de068ed8359db6d1e.png

Hawkins: 1x AA 0 Colemans
Riewoldt: 2x AA 2 Colemans

Jack >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hawkins
Hawkins is the least versatile key forward possible and is crap
the stats I would be more interested in would be pressure acts, score involvements and goal assists. we all know Jack has got Hawkins covered in that area!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point was made that Buddy can't mark...
He took more Contested than Jack, not bad for somebody that can't mark.
LMAO.

SINCE 2010: Rankings for Contested Marks (R=Riewoldt, F=Franklin)

2010: R=2nd F=18th
2011: R=12th F=15th
2012: R=7th F=7th
2013: R=20th F=26th
2014: R=21st F=2nd
2015: R=6th F=65th
2016: R=9th F=13th
2017: R=15th F=10th

So Jack has beaten him 5 times, drew once and lost twice......

LMAO.

SINCE 2010: Rankings for Contested Marks (R=Riewoldt, F=Franklin)

2010: R=2nd F=18th
2011: R=12th F=15th
2012: R=7th F=7th
2013: R=20th F=26th
2014: R=21st F=2nd
2015: R=6th F=65th
2016: R=9th F=13th
2017: R=15th F=10th

So Jack has beaten him 5 times, drew once and lost twice......
Not bad for someone that can't mark

Nice rant, stats only ever tell part of the story of course Buddy is a better player than Riewoldt but Jack had a job to do this year that didnt always involve him being the star or require him to kick goals, he did the job beautifully and now has a Premiership medalion to go with his two Colemans and AA selection.
Also raked in 3 beautiful marks in the GF two of which were beyond Buddies abilities;)

The whole thread is about arguing Jack Riewoldt is better than Buddy. He's not, and anyone that tries to argue he is, is a complete ******* moron. Buddy won every stat, but its 'not all about stats'. Ok then. I'm glad that your metric of success is flashy marks. Given the mark Wingard took in 2014, he must be worth 10 Buddy Franklins, am I doing it right?

I wonder if Carey and Matthews have an internal bet about who can convince the football public of the most ridiculous idea first. Because both of them come out with one horrible idea after another.
Agreed, its so easy to get carried away when you're in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back