News All Hail our new Emperor - Mark Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's Brendan McClements LinkedIn page - which highlights his experience at C suite level.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/brendan-mcclements-99680397

So he has experience as CEO and other senior positions in sporting related bodies - i.e he's on the face of it qualified for the position. Other than that I'm willing to bet 99% of us have no idea if he'll be good or not. I just hope the board have actually done their due diligence.

Last edited:
5 clubs looking for CEO. Pies, Hawks, Cats, Dogs, other mob. Cats will be meticulous.

From Carlscum website (my mouse nearly exploded when I googled them....):

1. "Steven will continue to act as CEO until a replacement is found". interesting......

2. "The Club will utilise the services of Egon Zehnder Melbourne to find a replacement CEO, and will announce the new appointment as soon as a decision is made". also interesting...

pretty sure the Chris Thomas who completed the Club review in governance is the same Chris Thomas of Egon Zehnder - ie Ed is well connected to the top Exec Search people in Melb. Interesting in view of the fact Ed seems (at least up to now) to have been quite disinclined to consider proper recruitment processes for senior execs.
Edit: Brian Cook has been appointed Chair of Barwon Health - might combine this role with his Cats role so Cats possibly not looking for CEO

Last edited:
Mm, wonder if McClements and Ed know each other?
Have they worked together anywhere?
It would be a major event selecting a CEO, can understand why it's taking so long.

Ok, in that case he would be filing a casual vacancy which runs for the original board member's term and then he has to face election. It's academic I guess because he will be elected if he stands.

Kennett did say in his letter to members “... subject to being voted in by the members in December”

5 clubs looking for CEO. Pies, Hawks, Cats, Dogs, other mob. Cats will be meticulous.

1. "Steven will continue to act as CEO until a replacement is found". interesting......

2. "The Club will utilise the services of Egon Zehnder Melbourne to find a replacement CEO, and will announce the new appointment as soon as a decision is made". also interesting...

pretty sure the Chris Thomas who completed the Club review in governance is the same Chris Thomas of Egon Zehnder - ie Ed is well connected to the top Exec Search people in Melb. Interesting in view of the fact Ed seems (at least up to now) to have been quite disinclined to consider proper recruitment processes for senior execs.

An Egon Zehnder exec (Not Chris Thomas, another one) ran the process behind the Brendon Bolton appointment.

Geelong?????
Brain Cook leaving?

Grab him if he is available

Mm, wonder if McClements and Ed know each other?
Have they worked together anywhere?
It would be a major event selecting a CEO, can understand why it's taking so long.
Indeed.

But in football being the incestuous business that it is, most football people in the sport know each other all the same.

Shouldn't preclude a good person being appointed, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he has experience as CEO and other senior positions in sporting related bodies - i.e he's on the face of it qualified for the position. Other than that I'm willing to bet 99% of us have no idea if he'll be good or not. I just hope the board have actually done their due diligence.
correct, the two key words are due diligence.

100% it disgusts me that two people have so much power in setting the direction of the club and one manages the coach?! What can we do though until a serious challenger comes along?
Other than pray they make the right calls and someone else does come along - nothing.

Other than pray they make the right calls and someone else does come along - nothing.

They've nailed it of late haven't they.

FWIW I'm not speculating on McClements quality if he's the man we go with or otherwise, but rather the incestuous nature of how we found him to be the best candidate.

They've nailed it of late haven't they.

FWIW I'm not speculating on McClements quality if he's the man we go with or otherwise, but rather the incestuous nature of how we found him to be the best candidate.
Well I suppose we should be grateful they've saved us paying for recruitment companies and be happy with it - provided it goes to plan.
There's certainly a different air, (as opposed to stench) about the place.
Case in point, this the first Copeland for a while where we haven't had a will he stay/go and will he attend the Copeland leading into it.

upload_2017-10-6_9-9-3.png
Today's Herald Sun ....
Questions: Have we "found" a candidate? Are we "formally interviewing"? - vs "Toorak Latte" chat... Is there a process? Is the Board united in its approach or is there a bit of a tussle between Ed and the "newly empowered Board"? Realise these snr appts require a degree of confidentiality but I'm not overwhelmed by a sense of transparency.

PS If Pert is not at least interviewed by other clubs looking for a CEO that will be telling

Kennett did say in his letter to members “... subject to being voted in by the members in December”
Thanks for that. Makes sense.
Some people don't realise that the president is an unpaid member elected board member as opposed to a CEO who is a board appointed (highly) paid employee.

View attachment 425109
Today's Herald Sun ....
Questions: Have we "found" a candidate? Are we "formally interviewing"? - vs "Toorak Latte" chat... Is there a process? Is the Board united in its approach or is there a bit of a tussle between Ed and the "newly empowered Board"? Realise these snr appts require a degree of confidentiality but I'm not overwhelmed by a sense of transparency.

PS If Pert is not at least interviewed by other clubs looking for a CEO that will be telling
There will be a process because there has to be given history. Whether it is genuine is the real question. Unfortunately it's hard to have confidence that it will.

That's as opposed to the Carlton situation where you can be 100% confident there is no process. Whether all the bad PR derails the classic Carlton MO will be interesting to watch. We need to cease our slide toward the old Carlton MO and this CEO appointment is a good test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back