Autopsy Season 2017 - What did you like, learn or hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are literally the opposite of the people that call ball constantly in the crowd. Just highlighting how could you win when differences in opinion are so vast?
Vast differences of opinion is what proves that we are all confused sometimes with the rules. 50 m penalties are sometimes just unfair, any one see,s that. The holding the ball under a pack when that player is making the play and getting to the ball first, then squashed is absolutely UNFAIR!

Fifties for over stepping a mark or taking off a fraction of a second too early when an opponent plays on is in my best French total bulle shitte.
Padantic umpiring creates unmerited advantage in our game now (a la Nankervis 50M penalty in this weekends GF.) that is the fault of an over active Rules Committee, doing god knows what with our game, proving they are doing something to get paid for.
We already had rules, tinkering in the WRONG direction as has been happening the last 5 plus years will mangle it soon.
Nothing changed this year, so that's my dislike for this season. Will it improve??????
Depends on what you want for a football game. But it's time to stop pissing around with our game.

Commentators and the gambling ads are a real turn-off

Yes! Can commentators just shut up when a player is taking a set shot

Instead of sacking people for having an affair, would be good to see AFL give gambling sponsors the flick.

My favourite moment was the AFLW final. The emotion of that victory was something.

Liked : The unpredictability of game outcomes. Bottom teams regularly beating top sides.
Learnt : Dustin Martin not eligible to be Australian Prime Minister due to duel citizenship
Hated : The Ruck Rule change. If AFL want to stop third man up just change rule to say if two players from same side contest then free awarded to opposition. Put the onus on players, not the umpires having to be told name of player contesting ruck.

Yes! Can commentators just shut up when a player is taking a set shot

Instead of sacking people for having an affair, would be good to see AFL give gambling sponsors the flick.

My favourite moment was the AFLW final. The emotion of that victory was something.

Gambling is now a blight on the game and it will get worse.AFL should can it now!

Hated: the round 23 fixturing. If WC Vs Adel is before Geel Vs GWS, Adelaide try harder and probably win. It wasn't and they didn't. A round 23 fixture where maybe teams not in the running play on Friday night (why not??) and every other game is at 2.10 on a Saturday arvo. Just do it already and stop making excuses!!

Hated: the round 23 fixturing. If WC Vs Adel is before Geel Vs GWS, Adelaide try harder and probably win. It wasn't and they didn't. A round 23 fixture where maybe teams not in the running play on Friday night (why not??) and every other game is at 2.10 on a Saturday arvo. Just do it already and stop making excuses!!
Yeah, I agree with this. The EPL solution (otherwise known as the last round of 1987) is shocking for TV, but great for footy.

I miss the rhythm of the "around the grounds" moments on radio.

Hated that Crows and Port need to be 10% better than everyone else to have a shot at winning a flag. (Except West Coast and Freo who need to be 15% better)

We beat Port on there home ground this year, we've consistently beat them at there home ground and you at your home ground as well, what happened on the weekend has nothing to do with travelling or the MCG factor, it could have been played on the moon and Adelaide wouldn't have won, 8 goals you lost by, MCG doesn't make us an 8 goal better team over our opponents.

We beat Port on there home ground this year, we've consistently beat them at there home ground and you at your home ground as well, what happened on the weekend has nothing to do with travelling or the MCG factor, it could have been played on the moon and Adelaide wouldn't have won, 8 goals you lost by, MCG doesn't make us an 8 goal better team over our opponents.
The MCG grand final is only 1 component.
A few others that immediately spring to mind are:
Travelling every 2nd week
Our best young players getting raided every year
Biased umpiring

You guys grabbed your opportunity and played really well. I'm not trying to put you down. I'm merely lamenting at how farqing hard it is for us to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like: Freo improving their win/loss record

Learnt: If Richmond can go from 13th in 2016 to the flag, there should be hope for all teams yet Freo still harp on about a 2020 rebuild. Any Freo person that mentions that next year should be hauled out and fired Donald Trump style.

Hated: Our second half of the year and non-descript game plan

The MCG grand final is only 1 component.
A few others that immediately spring to mind are:
Travelling every 2nd week
Our best young players getting raided every year
Biased umpiring

You guys grabbed your opportunity and played really well. I'm not trying to put you down. I'm merely lamenting at how farqing hard it is for us to win a flag.

Adelaide and Perth sides also have 10 true home games.

Most melbourne sides have 6-7.

Interstate sides have legs ups on Victorian sides in other aspects as well.

It didn't go on the free kick stats.

Richmond jumped to a break of 4 or 5 early in the game; the numbers were steady after that. It did feel at the game as though we were getting a good run, which isn't surprising after finishing last on free kick differential over the season.

First half was disgraceful. 2nd half didnt notice the umps at all.
Didnt matter, we were cooked anyhow...but any kinda momentum we could've had got stifled by a couple of awful calls at really bad times. Two specific ones cost goals (one was a 12 point turnaround). It seemed that Richmond were allowed hands in the back and pushing in the back for the whole first half too.

First half was disgraceful. 2nd half didnt notice the umps at all.
Didnt matter, we were cooked anyhow...but any kinda momentum we could've had got stifled by a couple of awful calls at really bad times. Two specific ones cost goals (one was a 12 point turnaround). It seemed that Richmond were allowed hands in the back and pushing in the back for the whole first half too.

Umpires seemed to pick it up every time a Richmond jumper was held. Maybe being forced to wear the clash strip was a blessing in disguise.

Umpires seemed to pick it up every time a Richmond jumper was held. Maybe being forced to wear the clash strip was a blessing in disguise.

Seemed to be the case. Someone shoves talia in the back in a marking contest, as he's falling forward he grabs the gurnsey...holding free.

As I said wouldnt have affected the result, Tigers too good and we were far too poor.

I'll be more specific to my team because as far as the season in general went I thought it was outstanding.

Liked: Effort. My side had a crack in every single game they played. Biggest loss was by I think around the six goal mark. Obviously some performances were bitterly disappointing, and some losses felt worse than others but the fact that we didn't get obliterated on the scoreboard once is a positive, as was three wins and a draw against top eight sides.

Disliked: Lack of polish. That last kick inside 50 continued to let us down. This was often caused by one too many handballs than required causing the last kick to be under more pressure than it needed to be. Not having Wells on the park for a large chunk of the season cost us.

Learnt: We desperately need another key forward. Moore's going to have a good career but he's still a boy being asked to do a mans job if ever I've seen one and the fact that he's had the oppositions best key defender for the best part of his short career will hold him in good stead for the future no doubt but the recruitment of a big, competent forward will free him up considerably. Let's fight tooth or nail for Tom Lynch this time next year and do whatever it takes to land him. No more short people :p

Liked: winning the flag, evenness of the league (although I think it’s time to dial it back a little, where we are now is fine), teams trying to attack quickly

Learnt: anyone can win a flag eventually. You have to have the cattle, the gameplan and the culture, but nothing is stopping any club from having those. And related to that, the gameplan can make or break players. Brandon Ellis in particular was utter s**t on our old, careful, thought out game plan, but became more than handy on our new run and gun plan.

Hated: people still want to piss on other clubs achievements. It’s every bit as hard to win the flag as it was 20 years ago, but the cycle comes around more quickly. It’s easier to get to the top but once you get there, due to equalisation, you’re only going to get a few cracks before heading back down, and there’s even more competition. People want ‘stand out teams’ but they also want different premiers. Stand out teams don’t come from the clouds nor do they disappear just as quickly. You simply can’t have both.

Intrigued for next season: will our smallball forward line be copied? If it does prepare to see a lot of smalls that would otherwise go undrafted be picked up in the draft. And what will happen defensively then? Will clubs go small in the backline or stick with the talls and back them to mark anything that comes their way? Could be an interesting few years tactically.

Liked: winning the flag, evenness of the league (although I think it’s time to dial it back a little, where we are now is fine), teams trying to attack quickly

Learnt: anyone can win a flag eventually. You have to have the cattle, the gameplan and the culture, but nothing is stopping any club from having those. And related to that, the gameplan can make or break players. Brandon Ellis in particular was utter s**t on our old, careful, thought out game plan, but became more than handy on our new run and gun plan.

Hated: people still want to piss on other clubs achievements. It’s every bit as hard to win the flag as it was 20 years ago, but the cycle comes around more quickly. It’s easier to get to the top but once you get there, due to equalisation, you’re only going to get a few cracks before heading back down, and there’s even more competition. People want ‘stand out teams’ but they also want different premiers. Stand out teams don’t come from the clouds nor do they disappear just as quickly. You simply can’t have both.

Intrigued for next season: will our smallball forward line be copied? If it does prepare to see a lot of smalls that would otherwise go undrafted be picked up in the draft. And what will happen defensively then? Will clubs go small in the backline or stick with the talls and back them to mark anything that comes their way? Could be an interesting few years tactically.
Plus there will be even more interest in mids who can go forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back